Return Flight Time Question

pnk

We are cruising out of San Juan in November.  After a mixup, we need to reschedule our flights, and there are two options that really aren't ideal.  We prefer the flight that leaves 9am, but is that cutting it too close? Has anyone taken an 9am flight after getting off the ship and been able to make it on time? Thank you for all of your help!

I personally wouldn't be comfortable with that departure time. Even if the ship docks on time at 6a, it still has to clear Port Authority. On a perfect day they would let people self-assist debark about 645a. In theory that could get you to the airport in a taxi by about 715a, again if everything was perfect. While 715a would be ok for checkin with bags, you couldn't be much later than that.

I would be too stressed!

Not to be harsh, but just because someone may eventually post that they made it to the airport on time or with plenty of time to spare for an early flight does not mean at all that you will enjoy the same experience. You do not state what time the other flight is, but if it's later than 9:00AM do yourself a favor and take that one. Remember Murphy's law.

You need at least 2hrs while at the airport even when not checking bags. The plane is scheduled to leave at 9am but boarding will commence and close 20-30min before that. So essentially you need to be at your barding gate no later than 8:15. If all goes as planned you might leave the ship at 7:15 when you self-embark. Then tax rides, going through TSA, etc. Anything before 11:30 isn't really advisable, even if you read that someone was able to do it.

Puerto Rico has an agriculture bag inspection that you have to send your bags through before you can check them.  It's usually pretty quick, but it is an extra step.  Checked bags and carry-ons had to go through it the last time I flew out of there.

We did an excursion and were one of the first groups to leave the ship. We weren't cleared to leave the ship until 7:30am.

Everything would have to go smoothly for a 9am departure. There are several potential choke points in your way.  Seems like a stressful end to your vacation.

We had a late evening flight and chose to kill time doing an excursion that dropped us off at the airport, which was pretty enjoyable.

5 hours ago, pnk said:

We are cruising out of San Juan in November.  After a mixup, we need to reschedule our flights, and there are two options that really aren't ideal.  We prefer the flight that leaves 9am, but is that cutting it too close? Has anyone taken an 9am flight after getting off the ship and been able to make it on time? Thank you for all of your help!

The long standing suggestion is to. It have a before noon.  Its also recommended to be at the airport no less than two hours before your flight, so for a 9 am flight, you really should be at the airport at 7 am.

yes, I understand many people don’t get to the airport that early before a flight, but that is the general recommendation and I follow it.  I’ve also never missed a flight, so YMMV.

Thank you everyone! The other flight didn't get us back until after midnight, and with driving a distance home from the airport, figuring out new pet arrangements, and working the next morning, it didn't seem ideal... BUT our gut didn't feel right taking the 9am flight, and you guys confirmed it! We ended up skipping the 9am - thank you all for your input! If the mixup didn't happen, we wouldn't be in this predicament, but it will all work out one way or another.  In the end, we are thankful to still be able to enjoy the long awaited cruise!