Formal nights - help needed

First time cruiser here and wondering about formal nights. I'm on harmony of the seas this Sunday and just looked at a previous cruise compass and seen formal nights.

Panic has set in as I hadn't thought they happened anymore so not prepared. Are they mandatory? Do people not go black tie? Would I pass with shirt tie and trousers? I fly to Florida tomorrow so not blessed with time.

Any help welcomed or any advice is much appreciated 

There are two formal nights.  Once they refer to as formal night and one as dress your best. You will see dress from all along the spectrum on these nights, from jeans to tuxes (though not many).  You will pass just fine with a shirt, tie and trousers and not feel out of place.

I always wear a shirt and tie with khakis on formal nights and it is never an issue, you will see some wearing fancier and some wearing a lot more casual, I figure they are asking for a little formality so I will give in on my no tie stance for those two nights gladly for an awesome experience such as a Royal Caribbean cruise  Enjoy your trip.  

i often encourage my fam to wear what they feel their most confident in; for many, a tux is over the top and uncomfortable -- and that will translate into your body language during the evening.

a nice pair of pants, shirt and tie is elevated for so many, especially while on vacation, and lends an air of confidence much better than it would to be fidgeting uncomfortably all night in a tux or a suit that is never worn and doesn't fit properly. plus, the pants can likely double for the second night, with another nice shirt, and then you can save space when packing!

49 minutes ago, IrishCruiser said:

The panic is over and you're legends for the quick responses! 

Thanks everyone for the advice. Was worried I'd stick out like a sore thumb but glad now I'll more than likely blend in haha 

You will see everything from shorts, Tshirt, and flip flops to tuxedos.  Your on vacation!  enjoy your self and don't worry about what you are wearing or anyone else is wearing!

1 hour ago, IrishCruiser said:

The panic is over and you're legends for the quick responses! 

Thanks everyone for the advice. Was worried I'd stick out like a sore thumb but glad now I'll more than likely blend in haha 

Formal night is not what it once was. I had no problem dressing formal when I first started cruising however I now prefer the much more casual dress. I wear dark jeans with a nice shirt. On occasion I'll throw on a blazer so I don't look like a slob next to my dazzling wife, who loves to dress up. I just prefer to pack less.

This question comes up constantly and I think people who enjoy the romance of formal night try to paint it to be more of a mandatory thing than it is. You do NOT need to wear formalwear or even anything upscale to these dinners. While I don't think it's respectful to look like a slob (I wouldn't go in a tank top and beach flipflops or anything), there is no expectation that you bring nice clothes on your vacation (where you have minimal storage space, as it is.) 

Regardless of the night, I typically wear a polo shirt and shorts (not a bathing suit or anything). Do NOT believe the people who try to tell you that you have to dress up. It is OPTIONAL.

The only time I have ever been turned away for a formal night was when we forgot that it was formal night and Mom and I tried to go in wearing shorts and T-shirts. They were super nice about it and we had no problem eating at the WJ, but I think aside from that level of casual, you'll be fine.

9 minutes ago, Bowen said:

The only time I have ever been turned away for a formal night was when we forgot that it was formal night and Mom and I tried to go in wearing shorts and T-shirts. They were super nice about it and we had no problem eating at the WJ, but I think aside from that level of casual, you'll be fine.

That likely won't get you turned away anymore

3 hours ago, Bowen said:

The only time I have ever been turned away for a formal night was when we forgot that it was formal night and Mom and I tried to go in wearing shorts and T-shirts. They were super nice about it and we had no problem eating at the WJ, but I think aside from that level of casual, you'll be fine,

This must be an old experience.  If that happened to me today, I'd probably laugh, gesture at all the other people already seated in t-shirts/shorts, and keep walking to my table.

On 8/25/2022 at 3:35 PM, IrishCruiser said:

First time cruiser here and wondering about formal nights. I'm on harmony of the seas this Sunday and just looked at a previous cruise compass and seen formal nights.

Panic has set in as I hadn't thought they happened anymore so not prepared. Are they mandatory? Do people not go black tie? Would I pass with shirt tie and trousers? I fly to Florida tomorrow so not blessed with time.

Any help welcomed or any advice is much appreciated 

Just returned from Alaskan cruise on Ovation.  I wore jeans and long sleeved tee shirts to formal nights and I did not feel out of place.  I splurged and wore a polo shirt and jeans to Chops.