Cabins shown online but not bookable / Ability to move cabins close to sail date

First question:

I keep seeing connecting balconies available for my sailing online but when I call they can't find them, the rooms as booked to the RC agents. Then the rooms disappear temporarily only to come back again once I've hung up.  The agents insist they are actually booked, not like a temporary lock from someone viewing them online.

However, if I were to try to book them as new bookings, I can select the precise rooms and get to the checkout screen.

Is this type of IT glitch normal where the rooms really aren't available notwithstanding being able to select them online?  

Second question is, in the course of trying to see if the cabins were actually available, I was told it didn't matter because rooms changes are flatly barred within 3 days of sailing, doesn't matter if you are willing to pay more, lose promotions etc.  Does this sound accurate?  

• berkeleykel changed the title to Cabins shown online but not bookable / Ability to move cabins close to sail date

Once you click on the room, it is taken out of inventory temporarily to give you the opportunity to complete the sale.  Even if you log out, close your browser, etc, you could come back and finish booking that room within the timeout period.  I would not expect a phone agent to understand this.  Research which rooms are connecting and available, write down the numbers, then call back later, and ask about those rooms without checking again.  Phone agents only know how to follow their script.  Anything off script like asking how the computer system works and they will make something up to satisfy you because their job requires them to deal with you as fast as possible and move on to the next caller.

I can't really answer your second question because your location says London so you won't be following the same rules as most of us on this site.  I will say that right before a cruise, they will be dealing with finalizing any upgrades due to the Royal Up program which is probably the primary way people change cabins at the last minute.

1 hour ago, berkeleykel said:

First question:

I keep seeing connecting balconies available for my sailing online but when I call they can't find them, the rooms as booked to the RC agents. Then the rooms disappear temporarily only to come back again once I've hung up.  The agents insist they are actually booked, not like a temporary lock from someone viewing them online.

Save yourself the headache.  Use a TA and tell them specifically want you want.  They will then let you know what they have found...Rooms numbers and deck level.  Then you can check it out and decide if you want to book it or not.   Our TA knows our preferences, retired military, Etc.  He also knows we prefer balconies on the right side near the elevators.

49 minutes ago, Psycho and Barb said:

Save yourself the headache.  Use a TA and tell them specifically want you want.  They will then let you know what they have found...Rooms numbers and deck level.  Then you can check it out and decide if you want to book it or not.   Our TA knows our preferences, retired military, Etc.  He also knows we prefer balconies on the right side near the elevators.

I love my TA for that reason - knowing my preference and taking the time to make sure I get what I want. 

1 hour ago, Atlantix2000 said:

Once you click on the room, it is taken out of inventory temporarily to give you the opportunity to complete the sale. 

I'm pretty sure it wasn't that because I was waiting around 30 mins after confirming the room was there before calling (plus hold time) for exactly this reason.  

1 hour ago, Atlantix2000 said:

I can't really answer your second question because your location says London so you won't be following the same rules as most of us on this site.  I will say that right before a cruise, they will be dealing with finalizing any upgrades due to the Royal Up program which is probably the primary way people change cabins at the last minute.

Yes I booked this through the UK site for a bit of savings, regretting that now. 😭   On the Royal Up point, I was surprised to see the cabins come up in the inventory because I assumed at this point everything would go into Royal Up, but I'd think if you could see them you could book them...

1 hour ago, Psycho and Barb said:

This is a sailing in 3 days which I booked a month ago so connecting cabins weren't available.  This is the first time I've seen them available.  Using a TA is just not compatible with my personality type.  Hence me willing to spend hours trying to get a specific room rather than letting it go...