UDP already purchased - now thinking about making reservations to all nights (and getting a refund later on)

Ban-One

Hi,

purchased the UPD, as we usually do when cruising with Royal. But some nights are busy and now with full capacity even late dining times might sell out even before we board.

I've read on these boards that someone suggested - in addition to the UPD - to just make reservations each night by purchasing dinners to all restaurants we'd really love to visit (like Chops on the first and last night or Izumi Sushi & Hibachi on others) to make sure we'll get a table. That would mean to pay extra up front - quite an amount. 

But: Would I be able to get my money back when on board? And not in form of a credit...but back on my bank account/credit card account? I wonder if somebody did that and could share the experience they've made. That'd be very helpful.

Thanks!

16 minutes ago, KristiZ said:

They will issue you refundable onboard credit.

So sorry to ask (English is not my native language - and I've never really had any experiences with Onboard credits and refunds):

Does that mean I have onboard credit I could spend during the cruise - and whatever's left at the end of the cruise I get back on my bank account?

Thanks again.

50 minutes ago, Ban-One said:

So sorry to ask (English is not my native language - and I've never really had any experiences with Onboard credits and refunds):

Does that mean I have onboard credit I could spend during the cruise - and whatever's left at the end of the cruise I get back on my bank account?

Thanks again.

Correct!

11 minutes ago, Shari3 said:

Do you just let them know when you show up at your reservation that you have the dining package and they issue the credit to your account?

I think you have to get refunded at Guest Services so they can sort it out. They'll see what you have a dining package at the restaurant and give you a $0 bill, but I don't believe they can process the refunds at the restaurants.

If you have a package then usually you can just go up to one of the restaurant concierges on the first day and make all your reservations for all restaurants through them. If you bought a package they're not going to turn you away; they'll make sure you get in. Not much point in purchasing individual meals beforehand if you already bought unlimited.