Final booking- one passenger or two?

Last Lion

Next week is final payment for a cruise out of New Orleans. Right now booked for my wife and I. However, she probably can’t make it- but might.

Should I keep the booking for the both of us or change it to just myself but then add her later if she can make it closer to the cruise date?

What would be the cost and Royal points effect of adding her later?

Adding or removing passengers from a reservation often, but not always, requires the reservation to be re-fared to the prevailing rates.  Whether there's one person on the reservation, or two, the total cruise fare will be the same at any point in time because solo travelers have to pay a solo supplement equivalent to the cruise fare of a second passenger.

Simply keep your wife on the reservation and make final payment.  If she's able to go, then your reservation is all set.  If she's not, then she can be a no-show at the pier and her port taxes and fees will be automatically refunded.  No need to make changes to the reservation for this to happen.

As far as double C&A points for you sailing solo in the event she can't make it, you may or may not get the double points.  It seems to depend on what agent is managing those point allocations for your sailing.