XM Radio

XM is satellite, not internet based, so I would assume it would work. Whether you're on land or sea, shouldn't matter. It's a question of whether the satellites are positioned for the smaller Caribbean islands.  You would, obviously, need to have the proper satellite receiver.

I've used the SiriusXM app with a paid Voom plan without issues. 

As far as bringing a portable satellite receiver it might work on the top deck outside as long as there were no obstructions to the sky but from a balcony on the side of the ship it would not likely work very well at all times.  That is assuming you were located within the satellite footprint posted above.  

1 hour ago, Ramja said:

XM is satellite, not internet based, so I would assume it would work. Whether you're on land or sea, shouldn't matter. It's a question of whether the satellites are positioned for the smaller Caribbean islands.  You would, obviously, need to have the proper satellite receiver.

SXM is both satellite and internet based.  Most SXM plans include the ability to stream using the app.  I listen to SXM in my house by streaming while I have a satellite receiver in my car for when I'm driving.  

19 minutes ago, twangster said:

SXM is both satellite and internet based.  Most SXM plans include the ability to stream using the app.  I listen to SXM in my house by streaming while I have a satellite receiver in my car for when I'm driving.  

Thanks - I don't have XM so I guess I should have kept my mouth shut. 🤐 I thought I knew what I was talking about. 🙊

32 minutes ago, Ramja said:

Thanks - I don't have XM so I guess I should have kept my mouth shut. 🤐 I thought I knew what I was talking about. 🙊

Many years ago before XM and Sirius merged you would have been right.  Back in the olden days of satellite radio they only worked with satellite receivers, so you weren't entirely wrong, just dated.

The streaming service would work just like anything else as long as you have internet access on the ship- whether it's youtube, netflix or XM, it'll work if the connection is there. NOW doing it strictly with a portable satellite radio and relying on the actual satellite feed may be a bit iffy out mid-ocean 

3 hours ago, twangster said:

Many years ago before XM and Sirius merged you would have been right.  Back in the olden days of satellite radio they only worked with satellite receivers, so you weren't entirely wrong, just dated.

And then there was that fun, awkward in between where SiriusXM wanted a portable device, so they released the Stilleto which was basically a portable satellite radio, not a streaming data-based device. I had one of those bad boys and it felt so damn cool and futuristic. 

EDIT: Just realizing I also bought it at Radio Shack. Everything about this is so old school looking back with 2022 eyes.