Blue Lagoon Island Dolphin Encounter for 5 yr old????

Love6grands

Depends on the child.  My 4 year old did a Dolphin thing at Sea World.  I wouldn't hesitate to take him to a Dolphin encounter in the Bahamas if they allowed him.  Just check the age restrictions on the tour you are booking.  But some 5 year olds might be scared or no listen.  So I really think it depends on whether your grandson listens and follows rules.  My 4 year old has a cousin only 3 months younger and they are vastly different and there are things my son does that his cousin just is not capable of doing because he doesn't follow directions.  Like my son was able to forge a knife where his cousin played in the little kid area while all the other kids did knives.

Hi @Love6grands!

My wife and I did the Blue Lagoon Island Dolphin Encounter last OCT (2021). They split us up into smaller groups (about 5-6 in each) so we could take turns entering the floating dock enclosure.

The couple in these screenshots (from the video of our group we purchased) had a small boy with them (probably 5 or so) and he had a good time. As IzzyB stated above, it will depend on the child. We climbed down the metal steps on the left into the enclosure (basically a covered floating pen) with a submerged grate/platform below us to stand on. The water was just shy of waist high for adults while standing on the platform in the water. You need to scoot really close to the edge of the platform so you can interact with the dolphin when he/she swims up to you. If your grandson is not comfortable in water, this could be a little scary since at times you feel very close to the edge of the platform. Maybe he can stand a couple of steps back and still reach the dolphin like the boy in these pics. I was a little nervous that I would slip on the platform into the deeper water at first, but that's just me!

Enjoy your cruise and your time with your grandson!

image.thumb.jpeg.14f4768153d9379514986799d21d68de.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.b90304174c56916984ff3ed35ad73ff0.jpeg

47 minutes ago, JohnK6404 said:

Hi @Love6grands!

My wife and I did the Blue Lagoon Island Dolphin Encounter last OCT (2021). They split us up into smaller groups (about 5-6 in each) so we could take turns entering the floating dock enclosure.

The couple in these screenshots (from the video of our group we purchased) had a small boy with them (probably 5 or so) and he had a good time. As IzzyB stated above, it will depend on the child. We climbed down the metal steps on the left into the enclosure (basically a covered floating pen) with a submerged grate/platform below us to stand on. The water was just shy of waist high for adults while standing on the platform in the water. You need to scoot really close to the edge of the platform so you can interact with the dolphin when he/she swims up to you. If your grandson is not comfortable in water, this could be a little scary since at times you feel very close to the edge of the platform. Maybe he can stand a couple of steps back and still reach the dolphin like the boy in these pics. I was a little nervous that I would slip on the platform into the deeper water at first, but that's just me!

Enjoy your cruise and your time with your grandson!

Did they require floats for the younger child?  If so that is also something to consider.  My son isn't a fan of life jackets (they ride up to his chin) and he is too big for puddle jumpers now.  So that would be good information for parents to know.  It is one thing on a boat not in water, but in water he is not a fan, luckily he is a very strong swimmer so he very rarely needs them in water.

15 minutes ago, IzzyB said:

Did they require floats for the younger child?  If so that is also something to consider.  My son isn't a fan of life jackets (they ride up to his chin) and he is too big for puddle jumpers now.  So that would be good information for parents to know.  It is one thing on a boat not in water, but in water he is not a fan, luckily he is a very strong swimmer so he very rarely needs them in water.

I'm sorry, I don't recall if they required them for children.

I did a dolphin encounter a couple years ago with my sister from a Royal Caribbean cruise on one of our island stops (not sure which one) with one of the cruise excursions. They wouldn't let you take your own photos and charged a fortune to buy their's. You can haggle them down a lot and still very expensive. So we enjoyed the dolphin part of it, but not the buying expensive photos part so this time we are doing different excursions. Also the actual amount of time each person gets is very small.