Voom - Inactivity

Funny you bring this up. We just got off the Harmony of the seas. I bought the Voom service for 2 devices and my wife's iPhone 7 worked great never disconnecting. My iPhone 7+ disconnected every time I locked the screen and put in my pocket. Also important to note my wife could browse Facebook & send emails as well as picture texts to anyone. My phone would only allow me to text (no pictures). I could get emails but not send them. I could not update Facebook or browse safari. Nobody from the IT team on the ship could figure out why.

I'll filter myself slightly from getting too technical but your phone periodically chatters with the network services based on apps you have installed (and running in the background). That's typically enough to keep it active. A trick to keep your service active almost the whole time is to enable your carrier's WiFi calling. Your phone will automatically check in with your carrier often enough to keep the service active. But there's other little things you can do to keep it active at the expense of battery like have your phone check your email every 15 minutes. Its basically tracking web requests to check for activity. There's apps that do activity on non-standard ports that won't trigger the meter as well.

I've had this vary from ship to ship with an Android tablet.  Some timeout after 2 hours just as they advertised.  Others disconnect only when they whole system is spotty.  On Liberty once I went 9 days without ever having to sign in after the initial time...even when locked in the safe!  

I can say I have pretty consistent issues when docked in Cozumel.  If I am up on the pool deck or the deck above, and I'm on the side of the ship facing another RCCL ship docked next to us, I sometimes get a stronger signal from an access point on the other ship.  Since a lot of Royal's ships use the same SSID, my device tries to connect to the stronger signal on the other ship (which doesn't recognize my credentials of course!)  I walk to the far side of back inside and I reconnect.