Oasis questions

kevpeirce

We're sailing on Oasis out of Cape Liberty on 10/16 with our boys and my parents(in their own cabin). My wife is gluten free and we're trying to get an idea of whats available on Oasis for her, does anyone know what "hidden" gluten free items are on Oasis? We found out Anthem had gluten free bread in 270 and sorrentos does a gluten free pie on Anthem and Harmony. We found the windjammer to be difficult on Harmony at prime times so those hidden places helped a lot on Anthem. Second question is does iMessage still work with the wifi on certain ships and if so is Oasis one of those ships? The final question is does anyone have any tips for cruising with young children? We have a boardwalk balcony and our boys will are 2 years old and a 10 month old. 

4 hours ago, kevpeirce said:

We're sailing on Oasis out of Cape Liberty on 10/16 with our boys and my parents(in their own cabin). My wife is gluten free and we're trying to get an idea of whats available on Oasis for her, does anyone know what "hidden" gluten free items are on Oasis? We found out Anthem had gluten free bread in 270 and sorrentos does a gluten free pie on Anthem and Harmony. We found the windjammer to be difficult on Harmony at prime times so those hidden places helped a lot on Anthem. Second question is does iMessage still work with the wifi on certain ships and if so is Oasis one of those ships? The final question is does anyone have any tips for cruising with young children? We have a boardwalk balcony and our boys will are 2 years old and a 10 month old. 

I can't help you on Gluten free stuff

iMessage should work on Wifi, if you want to be sure just put your phone on airplane mode on your home wifi and test it.

Cruising with young children is great because there is a lot of things for kids to do and someone to take care of all the cooking etc.  Visit Adventure Ocean on the first day and make a plan to use it as you feel comfortable - I would recommend at least some adult time.

I am not sure about gluten free but if you check out vlogs on Youtube from "Life with Favor" she is gluten free and sailed on Oasis this year.  She has a whole series out.  It might help.

We were on Oasis in July (and going again on 10/23, so warm the ship for us 🙂 ) and I was able to facetime and chat through Facebook Messenger.  Also, some regular texts came through too.   I don't have small kids, but definitely Adventure Ocean (deck 14).  The kids seem to really enjoy it from the people we chatted with.

Definitely will check out the vlog! Were you able to accomplish facetime and messages without the internet package? I should've clarified that in my original post, our previous experience was imessage working without having the internet package. We're very excited to take the boys, especially our 2 year old who asks every day about "big boat", we do plan some adult time whether the boys are with their grand parents or adventure ocean. It looks like there is an hourly fee as theyre both under 3.

I purchased the internet package.  You would need to put your phone on airplane mode (to avoid roaming charges).  So, it will only work if you had wifi.   In Nassau you may be able to find restaurant/bar places were they have free wifi w/ purchase.  But I am not 100% sure on that.  I am sure your little ones will have fun in the splash pad, carrousel, etc..

We have Port Canaveral so we will get service there, but I know on Anthem when we went we were "connected" to the ship wifi but didn't have the internet package. At that time I believe it was a loop hole through the type of messaging the app uses that allowed iMessages to work as well, it would be nice if that does if not we will try paying for the messenger in the app.

1 hour ago, kevpeirce said:

We have Port Canaveral so we will get service there, but I know on Anthem when we went we were "connected" to the ship wifi but didn't have the internet package. At that time I believe it was a loop hole through the type of messaging the app uses that allowed iMessages to work as well, it would be nice if that does if not we will try paying for the messenger in the app.

Unfortunately they’ve closed that loophole.