Boarding Pass & Boarding Day

Brian Kim

Everywhere I read, it says to print out your boarding pass, but when you open up the website to print out your boarding pass, it tells you to also download the app to get the digital boarding pass. Can you use a digital boarding pass through the app on boarding day? I currently have the passes in my Apple Wallet. If yes, do you board faster using a digital boarding pass or printed boarding pass? (This is our first ever cruise)

Secondly, I am using my passport so I am all good. However, my other two guest does not have a valid passport and based on the website one can use a birth certificate + Drivers License, and the other can use the Naturalization Certificate (He was born outside of the US). Both are U.S. citizens. Can someone just verify that those other two methods work? We are going to Bahamas leaving from Miami and returning. 

But assuming that those two methods work, is it more complicated when checking in with those documents? Or is the the same process as showing the physical copy of a passport? I just want to make sure there is not any extra steps during boarding day because they are checking in using the birth certificate + Drivers license and Naturalization Cert. 

You can use a digital boarding pass, and some people do it.  I prefer paper I can handle quickly; i am phone challenged.  It really doesn't affect processing time much.  I suppose it would depend on your check in time (we had to wait for the ship to disembark everyone).

The passport question is addressed in other threads, but the itinerary you describe seems to permit the exceptions noted on Royal's website.  The problem is that without a passport, one can't fly home in an emergency.

I am sure other members will comment.

3 hours ago, Brian Kim said:

Everywhere I read, it says to print out your boarding pass, but when you open up the website to print out your boarding pass, it tells you to also download the app to get the digital boarding pass. Can you use a digital boarding pass through the app on boarding day? I currently have the passes in my Apple Wallet. If yes, do you board faster using a digital boarding pass or printed boarding pass? (This is our first ever cruise)

Secondly, I am using my passport so I am all good. However, my other two guest does not have a valid passport and based on the website one can use a birth certificate + Drivers License, and the other can use the Naturalization Certificate (He was born outside of the US). Both are U.S. citizens. Can someone just verify that those other two methods work? We are going to Bahamas leaving from Miami and returning. 

But assuming that those two methods work, is it more complicated when checking in with those documents? Or is the the same process as showing the physical copy of a passport? I just want to make sure there is not any extra steps during boarding day because they are checking in using the birth certificate + Drivers license and Naturalization Cert. 

I used digital boarding passes on my recent Oasis cruise. The digital passes were easy, as you just scan them. They also have to check your face and compare it to the photo you take in online check-in. Yes, Apple Wallet tickets work.

9 minutes ago, Ampurp85 said:

The only issue with digital passes is phones lose connections. It is easier to have a screenshot or print out. 

Totally agree on the print out. If you have been in line behind a large group fumbling with a phone with a poor signal, the check in process comes to a grinding halt.

Having a printout readily available (not in your bag) does speed up the process for everyone.

Sailed twice from Port Canaveral this year and only used digital boarding passes for my wife and I.  We have iphones on ATT and have had no issues with service to show the passes from the Apple Wallet.  Typically, passes in the wallet get loaded and stay there and will update as needed.  But taking screenshots is smart advice just in case (plus having the photos in the cloud is nice to have in case your phone gets lost or damaged in a rare incident before getting to the terminal).

4 hours ago, Ampurp85 said:

The only issue with digital passes is phones lose connections. It is easier to have a screenshot or print out. 

I was also going to suggest this.  My connection was just fine, but many others had issues.

2 hours ago, Andy & Sheryl Unwin said:

I am a tad cautious always.

Set sail pass is always on the phone, with a screen shot as immediate backup should I lose internet connection.

However, I have  paper copies of everything...  Just in Case...

This is also me.

On 8/23/2022 at 7:21 AM, Brian Kim said:

Just thought I'ld just mention the name issue some have had,  all documents must have matching names, otherwise also bring all official change documents too.  Check RCCL web site for details.