Alaska Cruisetour Land Costs

DaveWithHat

We are getting ready to book our first Alaska cruise-tour and would like readers insights on the land-tour portion costs. Our expectations are that the excursion costs will be comparable to excursions costs for typical cruise excursions but the we will also have to budget for meals as well. What options are available? What can I expect on the train portions of the land cruise? Are there any good resources that can provide guidance here?

How about the more-or-less all day train ride that I remember hearing about? I forget where it leaves from, but goes across the Canadian border over some really crazy mountainous areas (like you can't believe the train isn't falling off the rails), then "turns around" and heads back to where it started. I'm not doing Alaska yet, but that was one of the excursions I heard about that I pretty said, "oh hell yes!" when I heard it described.

The helicopter tour to the glacier I know is expensive; one of Matt's podcasts about Alaska brought that up and how much it costs. (especially if you want the dog sled ride with it!), but there's a reason things like that are all "bucket list" items -- you only want one shot to do it, so damn the budget and full steam ahead!  :D 

The train is in Skagway. I believe it's just over $100, perhaps as much as $150. Unless you're a train person, you'd be better off renting a car and exploring on your own or trying a bus tour. You'll see more for less money.

Helicopter to a glacier is about $300 and up to $500 for the dog sledding on the glacier. Prices obviously vary from cruise line and if booking independently.

The train is in Skagway. I believe it's just over $100, perhaps as much as $150. Unless you're a train person, you'd be better off renting a car and exploring on your own or trying a bus tour. You'll see more for less money.

Helicopter to a glacier is about $300 and up to $500 for the dog sledding on the glacier. Prices obviously vary from cruise line and if booking independently.

I actually am a bit of a train person (older trains at least; modern commuter rail could disappear and I'd never notice), and like chances to ride passenger trains and enjoy a meal on board while watching the countryside go by. Driving to sight see doesn't work for me; when I'm driving, I never pay attention to the scenery unless it's something right in front of me (like a spectacular sunrise / sunset / harvest moon), because I'm too busy watching the road and where I need to go! And buses just feel crowded and cramped and noisy all the time. Give me a train tour option any day, I'll be happy.

I doubt I'd do the dog sled, just because of my feet and doubts about how well they'd hold up standing on a bouncing dog sled for an hour in freezing cold. But taking the copter to the top of the glacier and walking around for a little bit, getting pictures and just soaking up the sight of it would be awesome! (another bucket list item)

But, I've got plenty of time to think about it and plan. I could change my mind about all of it. :)

The train in Skagway was a great time.  There is no meals or such, its not that long but the scenery was fantastic!  Old fashioned turn of the (last) century style cars.  We wook the train all the way up through BC and into Carcross, Yukon Terr. then took the bus back.  great day!

Since we did the southbound cruise from Seward to Vancouver we flew to Anchorage and the next morning took the Alaska Railway down to Seward to board Radiance.  About a 5 hour trip, Seating was Booth-style in a domed viewing car so the four of us (my parents were with us) had a table and lunch on the train was great.  

yes, shorex was a bit higher than in the islands, but then again everything is higher up there.  Our day in Icy Strait Point we walked into to town (Hoonah) (about 1 1/2 miles) just to explore.  Stopped in the little general store (a local store, not tourist related) and cans of Chef Boy-Ar-Dee were $4.50!

Thanks for all the good feedback. I am wondering about meals on the land tour portion. If I would like to go up a few notches from Chef Boy-Ar-Dee at $4.50/can what should I budget? I know this is difficult to answer since expectations and tastes vary widely but assume that we would normally be fine with a typical hotel continental breakfast, simple sandwich type lunch and sit-down evening meal comparable to a chain restaurant or pub. Any guidance is appreciated.

We did not do a land tour either before or after so I cannot speak to what is or is not included.  We stayed the night before in anchorage, walked to a small eatery for dinner about a block away, I don't recall it being too overly expensive.  Breakfast the next morning was included with the hotel before we boarded the train to Seward.  Lunch on the train was included and then it was all onboard the ship.

We did eat lunch in Juneau at the Red Dog, not too pricey for a tourist town.