Ghosts New Year's Eve past and future, Odyssey

Hi! First time poster long time reader. Has anyone ever taken the NYE cruise on the Odyssey? My husband and I leave on Dec 30 for the 9 night south Caribbean, w/Perfect Day. I'm curious about activities and theme nights that they may have. If anyone has taken this cruise in the past, even if not for New Year's, I would love some insight, tips, or advice. Thanks!

1 hour ago, CruizIan said:

Yeah we sailed Odyssey over Labor day last year and I think she had 1400 people on her so it was definitely not the experience that you can expect when she is sailing at full capacity over the holiday. I am sure it will be a great time for sure. 

Thanks! Yeah, I'm definitely preparing myself for the crowds. How long was the Labor day cruise? Really looking forward to cruising and I hope we can make a yearly or semi annual thing. Fingers crossed!

We sailed on Odyssey 12/26- NYE 2021. There was a large promenade party for sure. Unfortunately we were all in quarantine so we only got to watch the party on our cabin TV. It looked like a blast! Very crowded..... we sailed at about 85% as it was a holiday cruise with covid prevalent on ships at that point in time.  

Odyssey normally does 6–8-night cruises unless they are doing a transatlantic. On rare occasions a 9-10 night will pop up for various ships. I would imagine there will be a New Year's Eve something with champs/sparkling wine and party favors, then something for the 1st. After that it will be standard cruise activities. Maybe a 60/70/80 party, white night, silent disco and Caribbean night. 

2 hours ago, Td6462 said:

We sailed on Odyssey 12/26- NYE 2021. There was a large promenade party for sure. Unfortunately we were all in quarantine so we only got to watch the party on our cabin TV. It looked like a blast! Very crowded..... we sailed at about 85% as it was a holiday cruise with covid prevalent on ships at that point in time.  

Wow! I hope you had a great time before or after the quarantine.

2 hours ago, Ampurp85 said:

Odyssey normally does 6–8-night cruises unless they are doing a transatlantic. On rare occasions a 9-10 night will pop up for various ships. I would imagine there will be a New Year's Eve something with champs/sparkling wine and party favors, then something for the 1st. After that it will be standard cruise activities. Maybe a 60/70/80 party, white night, silent disco and Caribbean night. 

Thanks for all the details! I'm just so anxious about knowing what to pack. I really want be ready for whatever there is to do.

On 8/21/2022 at 8:04 AM, GoGoGoldie said:

Hi! First time poster long time reader. Has anyone ever taken the NYE cruise on the Odyssey? My husband and I leave on Dec 30 for the 9 night south Caribbean, w/Perfect Day. I'm curious about activities and theme nights that they may have. If anyone has taken this cruise in the past, even if not for New Year's, I would love some insight, tips, or advice. Thanks!

We were on odyssey for New Year’s 2021/22. It was an extremely frustrating cruise because we couldn’t stop at any ports due to Covid. They allowed us to stop at Nassau and they gave us an extra port at the Dominican but that was only for a few hours and was not what we signed on for. Nevertheless, Odyssey was a relatively new ship at the time and we were among the first to enjoy it. We personally liked the solarium because there was a pool there, and the solarium bistro, although it was closed for a good part of the time, was not bad when it was open. 

I would not waste my money on the cabanas on the pool deck, as they are not very comfortable, in the bright sun, and people who reserved them are brutal about getting there early and reserving the three best ones, leaving the rest of us to take what’s left.

Odyssey, in my humble opinion, was not that great of a ship. I’ve heard good things about the oasis classes and we are going to try that this year at Thanksgiving.

Odyssey offers things like bingo, karaoke, etc. But I didn’t think it was that much fun.

Good luck and enjoy your trip. Keep us posted. 

43 minutes ago, jgcgsd said:

We were on odyssey for New Year’s 2021/22. It was an extremely frustrating cruise because we couldn’t stop at any ports due to Covid. They allowed us to stop at Nassau and they gave us an extra port at the Dominican but that was only for a few hours and was not what we signed on for. Nevertheless, Odyssey was a relatively new ship at the time and we were among the first to enjoy it. We personally liked the solarium because there was a pool there, and the solarium bistro, although it was closed for a good part of the time, was not bad when it was open. 

I would not waste my money on the cabanas on the pool deck, as they are not very comfortable, in the bright sun, and people who reserved them are brutal about getting there early and reserving the three best ones, leaving the rest of us to take what’s left.

Odyssey, in my humble opinion, was not that great of a ship. I’ve heard good things about the oasis classes and we are going to try that this year at Thanksgiving.

Odyssey offers things like bingo, karaoke, etc. But I didn’t think it was that much fun.

Good luck and enjoy your trip. Keep us posted. 

Thanks for the great details! Wow, that sounds like it was not what was expected. I hope you have a much better time on your Thanksgiving cruise. I will definitely update on this NYE cruise.

15 hours ago, GoGoGoldie said:

Thanks for all the details! I'm just so anxious about knowing what to pack. I really want be ready for whatever there is to do.

Hi Goldie,

I am on this cruise with you and my family likes to dress up for every type of party they have! Idk if you are in a suite, but if not, the concierge will email us about a week out. At that time, I usually ask what types of theme nights they will have on the next sailing for packing purposes… idk if I will remember to come back to this thread with the answers but if you remind me, I will! 🤣 

Also, pre-Covid for the NYE celebrations, they had multiple parties in different venues around the ship, promenade, pool deck, bars, etc. They put ropes up along the main promenade for people to stand, but if you’d rather be comfortable and have your own little space, they sell tables with appetizers and a bottle of champagne… this is usually what we go for but I can let you know what they are offering for the big night as soon as I find out. Congrats on booking an NYE cruise… you may become hooked on them like I did!!! . I started a roll call for this sailing if you want to check it out in that section.