Stateroom Assignment Questions

Batman71

Before anyone feels compelled to point it out to me, I fully understand that with the "Guarantee" category our rooms could be anywhere on the ship and our room and the room of our travel companions could be on different decks and on opposite ends of the ship. I am still comfortable with that arrangement and am prepared to accept the consequences of having opted for a "Guarantee" room

Question 1...

Scheduled to sail 9/23 and our reservation is for an Ocean View Balcony Guarantee. I noticed today that the app shows us on deck 13 and for the couple we are linked with it shows deck 6. I was surprised to see a deck assignment at all since we have not yet been assigned a stateroom. Also, I logged into my account on the RC web site and it does not show any information on the deck. Puzzled by this, I called RC and the rep said that what I am seeing on the app should be ignored as we could still be assigned a room anywhere on the ship. If this is the case, why would they be showing the deck information at all?

Question 2...

For the Ocean View Balcony Guarantee, the online travel company I booked through states "there's a possibility the stateroom's view may be obstructed". I asked the RC rep about this and he stated unequivocally that since our reservation is OCEAN VIEW BALCONY (even though "guarantee"), we cannot be assigned a room with obstructed view. Can anyone confirm this?

Question 3...

Is it useless to ask that our rooms be close together if at all possible? The RC rep said that the rooms are assigned by their "system" and that it would be fruitless to even ask for this accommodation. If any posters feel (or know) that there is some hope, is it better to make the request through the travel company OR direct with RC? And, should the request be made now OR after initial stateroom assignments OR after boarding?

Thanks ahead for your input!

My mother in law got a GTY room for upcoming sailing. I noticed her room was assigned a few days ago (we sail Sept 11) and it was a deck below us and on the opposite side. I asked my travel agent and she was able to switch their room to our deck and closer, as long as it was the same stateroom category (J2, for example), without any additional fees. I would guess this might be possible for you guys once you both have assigned rooms, but that will depends on what is still available at the time. 

There is a barcode trick that can reveal your cabin number from the set sail pass barcode.  Varies iPhone vs. Android.

I don't think you are safe from obstructed balconies.  As far as I know it is not a 0% obstruction balcony guarantee, simply a guarantee that you will have an ocean facing balcony that could have some percentage of obstruction.  If solo for example you are not guaranteed a double occupancy cabin, you will possibly be assigned a studio cabin when solo with a guarantee reservation.  

There is no way to link two different guarantee bookings in advance however once cabins have been assigned you can call to ask if there is another cabin you can move to.  Results can vary a lot because often there are no cabins in a category in inventory displayed on the website yet there are cabins set aside and those can fulfil guarantees.  When calling the phone agent doesn't have access to hidden inventory, only the inventory that we all see on the website.  If there are no open cabins in your assigned category there will be nothing open to move you into.  

13 minutes ago, twangster said:

There is a barcode trick that can reveal your cabin number from the set sail pass barcode.  Varies iPhone vs. Android.

If you use an iPhone, simply add the set sail pass to your Apple wallet. Numbers will appear below the bar code. The numbers to the right of the dash represent your cabin.

If Android, simply scan the bar code with a QR scanner. (This works for iPhone too, the Apple wallet is just easier.)

NOTE: You have to wait to get your official assignment to ask to switch as twangster mentioned above, don't bother trying after using the bar code trick.

15 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

If you use an iPhone, simply add the set sail pass to your Apple wallet. Numbers will appear below the bar code. The numbers to the right of the dash represent your cabin.

I finally gave this a shot (not a guarantee cabin) so I can see what you describe.  Awesome!  
I have a GTY suite next year. Can’t wait to use this hack

9 minutes ago, Pattycruise said:

I finally gave this a shot (not a guarantee cabin) so I can see what you describe.  Awesome!  
I have a GTY suite next year. Can’t wait to use this hack

Just be aware that you can occasionally get the dreaded "GTY" instead of your cabin number although that has never happened to me (yet).

This seems to help figure out what room you are in before they release it.  Someone on my September cruise pointed it out to us and it worked for everyone on the thread.  In the RCL App take your boarding pass and save it in the iPhone wallet.  Then look down in the barcode and you will see a long number with a dash then a 4- or 5-digit number.  That number is your room cabin.  

image.thumb.png.366b596e565bdfff42f47d55b0eca8e2.png

31 minutes ago, Traveling Mike said:

This seems to help figure out what room you are in before they release it.  Someone on my September cruise pointed it out to us and it worked for everyone on the thread.  In the RCL App take your boarding pass and save it in the iPhone wallet.  Then look down in the barcode and you will see a long number with a dash then a 4- or 5-digit number.  That number is your room cabin.  

That's the bar code trick described above.

Thanks to all for the tips....very helpful!

I checked out the bar code trick and it did show our stateroom number. FWIW, they have me in a stateroom on deck 13 and this room does NOT have an obstructed view. OTOH, our travel partners are on deck 6 with an obstructed view (lifeboat front-center). We booked our rooms (both GTY) within two days of each other.

1 hour ago, Batman71 said:

Thanks to all for the tips....very helpful!

I checked out the bar code trick and it did show our stateroom number. FWIW, they have me in a stateroom on deck 13 and this room does NOT have an obstructed view. OTOH, our travel partners are on deck 6 with an obstructed view (lifeboat front-center). We booked our rooms (both GTY) within two days of each other.

When you booked them has zero impact on what cabins you were assigned. While no one knows the exact algorithms used, it's essentially luck of the draw on our end as passengers.

Hopefully your travel partners can request to change cabins once officially assigned if that's what they would prefer.