Wonder of the Seas dining questions

TMatl

Were on the Wonder in Feb 23.  Some in our group had some questions about the dining options hoping others who have been on Wonder can help with. 

Let me preface this by saying we had the 3 meal dining package on the Harmony

1) Does Giovannis Italian offer the full menu plan for a group if on the meal plan?  On Harmony, we did a birthday dinner at Jamie's Italian Restaurant and because we had a group of 6, and the meal plan, they didnt take an order from each person.  In fact, they told us not to bother with ordering, they were going to bring everything.  And they did.  Every app, every dinner anyone mentioned (as many as you wanted to order), every desert was brought out.  It was great for a birthday dinner for a group.  Does Giovanni's do this as well?  

2) Wonderland is a restaurant of interest for a few of the group.  Anyone who has eaten at Wonderland, what are your thoughts?

3) All the restaurants sound great on paper, look great in the videos and reviews.  Any insight on the restaurants--were any better than you expected?  Also, did any not live up to the hype or expectations?

4)  The Mason Jar--OMG!-southern food and bbq?  And great craft cocktails?  And brunch?  I could eat there every night but the group wont go for that.   Did anyone go for brunch?

Yeah, your group can basically get anything to the table at Giovanni's. In my experience, the waiters will usually bring a bunch of different items out when dining with a large group! But you're also able to order your own dishes if you choose. I usually will do group appetizers and have my own main course.

Wonderland is an interesting experience but I'm not a fan! However, I'm not too adventurous with seafood dishes and some of the other items on the menu. I would much rather eat at a different restaurant onboard, but if you want to dine for the experience and not necessarily the food, Wonderland is great! I will say that the desserts at Wonderland are some of my favorites though!

Definitely do Mason Jar! I ate there for brunch and dinner and thought both were amazing. I would probably choose brunch if I had to pick between one or the other and then go back for the "late night bites" menu at the Mason Jar Bar.

As far as other restaurants, I'd do 150 Central Park. It's more upscale and extremely delicious! Izumi hibachi is another fun option for groups. I'm not a huge fan of Chops, but I also don't eat steak so that might be why. 🙂

We did the Wonder in March and had the UDP so we did all of the specialty at least once (did Izumi for sushi but did not make it for habachi).  We have done most of the specialty restaurants on other ships at some point or another.  Couple of notes from our experience. 

- They were all pretty good and with the UDP, didn’t find any real issues.  Mostly they seemed to be pretty close to what you find on other ships.

- Wonderland was also like others in the fleet as far as food goes.  They did bring a few extras for the table.  The standout was the Hatter, fun and entertaining.  Only you can decide if you might be interested in the experience.

- 150 Central Park, seemed better than on other ships.  I really enjoyed the cheese cart.  The server rolled it over, explained about each cheese as he sliced.  So much better than just getting a plate of cheeses and the options we far better too.

- Mason Jar was a nice change.  We will opt to go again if on the Wonder but mainly because it provides some variety.  We live in the south and I travel a lot for work.  There are so many better places on land for southern cooking and barbecue.  

18 hours ago, TMatl said:

Wonderland is a restaurant of interest for a few of the group.  Anyone who has eaten at Wonderland, what are your thoughts?

I love it for the experience. If you have picky eaters and they aren't on the unlimited dining plan, they may want to opt to skip this one.  I would encourage everyone to at least visit the bar (you can do this without a restaurant reservation) and try some of the exclusive drinks and check out the atmosphere and decor of the restaurant.

18 hours ago, TMatl said:

The Mason Jar--OMG!-southern food and bbq?  And great craft cocktails?  And brunch?  I could eat there every night but the group wont go for that.   Did anyone go for brunch?

Mason Jar is another one that has a bar you can visit WITHOUT dining there.  So you can try the cocktail menu throughout the cruise! There are also spiked milkshakes on the dessert menu to explore.  As @ScooterScott22 stated, Mason Jar is great for the variety. However if you live in a part of the country known for southern food and/or BBQ, don't go in expecting it to meet those standards.  It is a nice change of pace and variety, however.  If you had to pick between dinner and brunch, I'd go with the brunch since it's currently the only chance to experience specialty dining with breakfast food options on the entire Royal Caribbean fleet!

Great insight everyone, thanks for your replies.  I agree with those who like and recommended 150 Central Park.  We’re definitely going there, that’s a given.  And my gf wants to go to Hooked as well. 

If we have the 3 meal specialty dining plan and have dinner at 2 restaurants but want to do the brunch at Mason Jar, can we do that?  Does the meal plan cover brunch or is it only for dinners?   We’re at the point of debating doing the UDP or the 3 meal plan.  Too many places people want to eat at. 

59 minutes ago, TMatl said:

Does the meal plan cover brunch or is it only for dinners?

It's three meals, so brunch would be covered. UDP is fantastic on Wonder because there are so many options. Plus you get access to Playmakers and Johnny Rockets included in the unlimited package; you could try Mason Jar for brunch AND dinner as well.

On 8/21/2022 at 10:04 PM, AshleyDillo said:

It's three meals, so brunch would be covered. UDP is fantastic on Wonder because there are so many options. Plus you get access to Playmakers and Johnny Rockets included in the unlimited package; you could try Mason Jar for brunch AND dinner as well.

And that's why we're leaning towards doing the UDP--Wonder has some great specialty dining options.  And we have 5-6 restaurants on our list.  Plus, upon looking at the MDR menu, it doesnt really stand out.  We were a little disappointed at the weekly menu outside of the lobster dinner.  

And you mentioned Playmakers, we'll be there for Super Bowl Sunday, and we're all sports fans so we're glad to see a sports bar on the ship.  And will be there a lot.  So, if I am reading your message correctly, normally you'd have to pay for food from Johnny Rocket and/or Playmakers?  But its covered in full with the UDP?

Thanks for your feedback and recommendations. 

5 hours ago, TMatl said:

So, if I am reading your message correctly, normally you'd have to pay for food from Johnny Rocket and/or Playmakers?  But its covered in full with the UDP?

Playmakers you get a $20 per person per visit credit to use with the UDP.  Johnny Rockets cover charge is covered with UPD, but milkshakes are not included.  They are with the Deluxe Beverage Package, though.

Just a heads up, Playmakers has a private area that they likely will close off and rent out for $$$ for the Super Bowl.  There are TVs all over the boardwalk outside of Playmakers that will be showing the game and they may even show it in the Aquatheater. 

I know some of the ships with the indoors Playmakers were selling tables with access to a sports bar food buffet during the game last year.  It may be different on Symphony just because it's more open to anyone walking by, but I'm sure all of the seating there will be a hot commodity.  They will do food to go with the dining package, though!

21 minutes ago, daha699 said:

What is the Best price for the UDP on The  wonder for 7 nights  my sailing they have it listed for $219  has anyone seen lower price on the wonder ??

I believe the lowest price I ever saw for our Wonder sailing last week was 230. I didn't follow this blog as closely then and did not purchase. After that it never got below 265 (so we did 3 package instead)

On 8/23/2022 at 6:56 PM, AshleyDillo said:

Playmakers you get a $20 per person per visit credit to use with the UDP.  Johnny Rockets cover charge is covered with UPD, but milkshakes are not included.  They are with the Deluxe Beverage Package, though.

Just a heads up, Playmakers has a private area that they likely will close off and rent out for $$$ for the Super Bowl.  There are TVs all over the boardwalk outside of Playmakers that will be showing the game and they may even show it in the Aquatheater. 

I know some of the ships with the indoors Playmakers were selling tables with access to a sports bar food buffet during the game last year.  It may be different on Symphony just because it's more open to anyone walking by, but I'm sure all of the seating there will be a hot commodity.  They will do food to go with the dining package, though!

Thanks for all your feedback, advice, and updates.  

On 8/25/2022 at 1:07 PM, daha699 said:

What is the Best price for the UDP on The  wonder for 7 nights  my sailing they have it listed for $219  has anyone seen lower price on the wonder ??

We’re on the Wonder next February and I received an email last week offering the UDP for $205pp??  I might be off by a dollar or two.  

• 2 weeks later...

We did Wonderland on the Odyssey and they were very accommodating to my seafood allergy. My wife got plenty of seafood and they made non-seafood versions of everything for me, so I didn't feel like I missed out on anything. Overall I would say it is a good restaurant to experience once (or when travelling with others who haven't experienced it), but I wouldn't go out of the way for it. Our next cruise will likely be on the Wonder and we'll opt for the Mason Jar instead of Wonderland.

On 8/23/2022 at 5:56 PM, AshleyDillo said:

So if you get the UDP and go to Playmakers or Johnny Rockets for lunch, that's all you can use of the UDP for that day? Is it just one place per day or can you use those for lunch and still use plan that night for a nice meal? 

9 hours ago, CanHardlyWait said:

So if you get the UDP and go to Playmakers or Johnny Rockets for lunch, that's all you can use of the UDP for that day? Is it just one place per day or can you use those for lunch and still use plan that night for a nice meal? 

You can use the UDP at any specialty restaurant whenever it is open and they have space for you. Playmakers gives you a $20 meal credit per person with the package each time you visit. You can dine at Johnny Rockets for lunch, hit up Izumi for sushi when it opens for dinner for a light bite, have dinner later at Chops.and hit up Plamakerd late night for bar food, all in the same day with the UDP.