Do we need Canadian dollars.

JR&EM

We will be traveling to Vancouver, BC for our Alaskan cruise next month and we were wondering if we should get some Canadian dollars for quick purchases, such as taxi fare, coffee and other small items or will using American dollars be fine. For larger purchases we will be using a credit card. 

Credit cards are good almost everywhere; American dollars in many places.  Part of your answer depends on "how much" time you are spending in Vancouver.  Having a few Canadian dollars and coins ($1 and $2 coins) costs very little in exchange fees and can be reassuring.  Most taxi drivers will take credit cards - but do not want to!

I approach it this way: Do we accept Canadian (or insert other country) currency here in the US? No, so therefore I am not going to assume they take US Currency, and I will either exchange some money, or hit an ATM when I arrive, or just plan to use my credit card. The exception to this rule of thumb for me is where I know the US dollar is accepted and even desired over the local currency (i.e. Mexico, Honduras, etc... - have never had an issue with US money in these locations, and I actually prefer not to use my credit card in these countries). Of course, the areas that have ports full of US cruise ships will likely accept US currency, so if I am not sure, I make sure i have my credit card just in case. 

It's always best to use Canadian dollars when you can't use a credit card.  Check to see if your credit card charges foreign transaction fees beyond exchange conversion.

When I have seen Canadian merchants accept US dollars the exchange rate was terrible, as in rip off.  The funicular in Quebec City accepts US dollars at par so you are losing 30% to 35% of the value of your US currency in this scam.   

I expect that businesses in Canadian ports that US based cruises go to will accept US Dollars, however I also expect them to take it at face value. 

It’s nothing new.  I grew up in a border town.  USD was always welcome, but at par.  As far as Vancouver, I used to visit when I was doing training at Whidbey, and all of the bars took our US cash…but no exchange rate was offered. 

We use our Visa debit card when visiting my in-laws in NB and have a stash of lower denomination Canadian money for incidentals.  We’re doing the same when we cruise to the Maritimes in October  

I suggest just taking out some money $40 or so from an atm once you get there if you really want cash. You almost always get a better exchange rate once you are in the country but be mindful of bank fees. Be sure to tell your bank you are traveling so the card is not turned off. Also, Vancouver was fun and pretty but I would not want to have a lot of cash on me in some parts of town. We didn’t take any money out and our taxi driver was fine with USD. For everything else we used cards. 

Canadian here, from Vancouver.

99% of places will take credit cards, including taxis, etc. - that is your easiest bet.

If you prefer cash, a lot of places (especially near the port) will accept $USD, but probably not at a great rate (sometimes just at par, ie. you're losing about 30%). 

There are a very small number of places that might be Canadian cash only, namely some food carts. But that is rare, especially post-COVID, and unlikely to be consequential.

My suggestion would be to just use your credit card for most things, and bring a small amount of CDN cash just in case.  

What I found annoying is most vendors at port area will take USD but will only give Canadian back as change... Fortunately using a credit card in Canada isn't as scary as using it in some other countries :p. Just make sure you use a card that doesn't charge you foreign transaction fees.

I just got back from Montreal 3 weeks ago, and didn't  change money. Unfortunately, if you pay with US dollars...you are still paying Canadian prices and you lose about 30% like a previous poster stated! For instance, if something cost $20 Canadian dollars, and give them $20 US dollars...they don't give you change. Technically, they should give you about $5-$6 dollars back. Use a credit card whenever possible! The bank does a great job converting it with small fees like $ .65 each transaction. Your basically buying things with your CC, and when you get your bill it's lower than anticipated!

11 hours ago, Blur said:

What I found annoying is most vendors at port area will take USD but will only give Canadian back as change..

2 hours ago, Jersey Judie said:

I just got back from Montreal 3 weeks ago, and didn't  change money. Unfortunately, if you pay with US dollars...you are still paying Canadian prices and you lose about 30% like a previous poster stated! For instance, if something cost $20 Canadian dollars, and give them $20 US dollars...they don't give you change. Technically, they should give you about $5-$6 dollars back. Use a credit card whenever possible! The bank does a great job converting it with small fees like $ .65 each transaction. Your basically buying things with your CC, and when you get your bill it's lower than anticipated!

In this day and age of plastic (and now cell phone or smart watch) payment most cashiers have a hard time figuring out cash change on a simple transaction never mind expecting them to factor an exchange rate in.

As a Michigander that occasionally travels to Ontario, I've found that while American dollars are welcome, you will most often be given change in Canadian currency consistent with the exchange rate when you make purchases. YMMV.

20 minutes ago, Jim Bonaventura said:

Plus, I had no "funny money" left over! 

When away somewhere i empty my pockets everynight and put all coins in safe, on our last night i take all coins out with me and give to a charity collection or maybe some homeless person who has caught my eye! Saves taking the funny money home 

On 8/19/2022 at 3:33 PM, Momof4crazytocruise said:

I approach it this way: Do we accept Canadian (or insert other country) currency here in the US? No, so therefore I am not going to assume they take US Currency, and I will either exchange some money, or hit an ATM when I arrive, or just plan to use my credit card. The exception to this rule of thumb for me is where I know the US dollar is accepted and even desired over the local currency (i.e. Mexico, Honduras, etc... - have never had an issue with US money in these locations, and I actually prefer not to use my credit card in these countries). Of course, the areas that have ports full of US cruise ships will likely accept US currency, so if I am not sure, I make sure i have my credit card just in case. 

Actually, you're wrong.  We in Michigan (especially SE Michigan) get canadian pennies, nickels, quarters and occasionally dimes mixed in with change in US currency given back to us as we shop.

44 minutes ago, hoagie said:

Actually, you're wrong.  We in Michigan (especially SE Michigan) get canadian pennies, nickels, quarters and occasionally dimes mixed in with change in US currency given back to us as we shop.

Same in northern and northwestern Maine.  The change is all mixed together.

On 8/20/2022 at 3:59 PM, hoagie said:

Would you accept Canadian bills at your place of business? Thanks for the correction. However in Texas we would not accept Pesos so it is more a general rule of thumb when travelling. But if you feel better about correcting this, I'm glad.