Royalup. Is it possible to get a real deal.

Batman362

I had a RoyalUp accepted to move to a JS for $75pp on a 3 nighter...then Royal cancelled the sailing.  🤣

I'd say now that RoyalUp will either be limited in offerings, have steep upgrade costs, be offered to higher C&A tiers, or vanish completely as bookings are up and ships are sailing with fewer open rooms left on board.  

People say if you can get the room for X% of the price of the upgraded room.  In my case the room prices are no longer listed on the website (Voyager OTS sailing in Oct).  I have no idea what they wanted for a GS 1bdrm which is what I would like to get in my RU.  I just bid what I felt comfortable with spending, and I know it is below the initial offering of the GS (at least in the $3k to $4k range).  The fact that the website says the room are "sold out" makes me think there is no chance we get our bid accepted.

My current balcony cabin is in a great location. Looks like all of the GS 1bdrm are on deck 10 just below the pool area so I'm not sure if I would be happy to win it or not if there is a bunch of morning noise of chairs being moved about.

I choose to pick signup times for cruises that grant me better deals for rooms rather than rely on the Royal Up program for an upgrade. One of the major dangers is the bidding from a non-suite to a suite class because you won't earn that extra point per day through the bidding program. If you want to move up quicker in status avoid the Royal Up program. Also bidding wars often work against the bidder, as Royal Caribbean will accept the highest bids of course which eliminates any deep discounts if you lowball the bid. Sure, some cruise itineraries and timing may work in your favor but I believe there won't be that many cases as more and more people return to cruising, including the unvaccinated.

14 minutes ago, Gadget Hackwrench said:

as Royal Caribbean will accept the highest bids of course

The RoyalUp algorithm is more complex than just going with the highest bid. If your bid plus whoever is bidding on your cabin type, and the bid from their cabin type and so on down the line, will net them the highest, they're could accept a relatively low bid at the top level.

I say yes.  I sailed on Oasis in May when it was at least 75-80% capacity.  We originally had a Boardwalk balcony room (got a great deal on it to begin with) and won our minimum bid for a 2 br Grand Suite.  If we had booked that suite, it would have cost us over $10,000. Our total cost was under $4,000, which also included internet for all 4 of us, Coastal Kitchen dining, free drinks in the suite lounge, etc.

On 8/19/2022 at 2:41 PM, smokeybandit said:

My only attempt at a Royal Up got me an upgrade from a GS1 to a GS2 for $580 when the original difference between those two cabins when I first booked the GS1 was $3000.

I'll take that as a deal.

@smokeybanditHow long did it take for them to issue a new SetSail eDoc package after they awarded the upgrade?  How close was that to your sail date.  Just wondering about timing.  Thanks.

2 hours ago, JustMeJoe said:

@smokeybanditHow long did it take for them to issue a new SetSail eDoc package after they awarded the upgrade?  How close was that to your sail date.  Just wondering about timing.  Thanks.

It was immediate as soon as I got the Royal Up notification, probably 2 weeks before sail date. But that's definitely a YMMV thing as to when things happen