RC onboard internet and doing stock market buying/selling etc

Sackboy

4 hours ago, Sackboy said:

Does anyone have experience with using the onboard internet (especially on Mariner) for stock market work? Not just checking, but buying selling, etc. 

if so, which internet package did you go with and how decent is it?  

personally, I wouldn’t rely on ships internet for anything that would be time sensitive, such as trading stocks.   

If your desire is to have a laptop setup with automated scripts that will execute based on micro-second reaction to stock trades you will be very disappointed with the latency of satellite internet available on Royal ships today.  Latency across the fleet typically ranges from 200ms to 800ms and at times like during heavy rain the internet will not available at all. Mariner latency will almost always be above 600ms.

If your idea of stock activity is simply entering limit orders in hopes the market might reach that threshold at some point over the day that may work out okay if you appreciate that the internet on board can be down for several hours at a time for no apparent reason.  Murphy's law dictates the internet will go down exactly when you need it most.  If that's going to be an issue then don't rely on Voom for your needs.  

I've done wifi calls on Mariner recently and I watched a live webinar for an hour with only one "buffering" moment.  For simple tasks like that Mariner's Voom Surf & Stream served me well.  But understand it is nothing at all like home based internet.  Expect results like 3 - 4 Mbps down and 1 - 2 Mbps up with latency around 700ms.  

Lastly it's public wifi essentially.  Have plans to secure your traffic accordingly.