Manhattan Highlights and JFK transfer RCL

roybthered

Need some advice, 4 of us (3 adults and one child age 6) are sailing out of NJ on Oasis 16-23 Oct this year.  Has anyone done or have any knowledge of this transfer for when we get off the cruise? We are trying to decide if it is worth doing or will it just be a bus ride and drop off at JFK? Our flight back to the UK is at 8pm the day we get off the cruise and we are looking at options to fill the day prior to our flight home not just sitting on a bus for 4-5 hours then waiting in JFK for more hours.

Thanks in advance.

I have not done this in NY but I have done the same sort of thing in Miami. If the "formula" is the same you can expect to see some highlights pointed out from the bus and one or two stops where you get some limited time to wander around.

Royal are very risk averse so they will get you to the airport in plenty of time for flights departing at whatever time they state in the excursion description, e.g. "for international flights departing after 5 pm". That means you could potentially be at the airport 3 or 4 hours before you need to be.

The cost of that excursion for 4 people is not going to be cheap. You may well be better off getting a day room somewhere not too far from the airport and using lyft or uber or a car service to get there.

I have read suggestions from others that the TWA hotel at JFK is a great place to spend the day before an evening flight but I have no idea what sort of price you'd be looking at. 

20 hours ago, FionaMG said:

I have read suggestions from others that the TWA hotel at JFK is a great place to spend the day before an evening flight but I have no idea what sort of price you'd be looking at. 

You're looking at probably $250 for the room and $100 for a pool reservation that time of year at the TWA hotel.  But it seems quite convenient to be there and have a place to relax, visit the pool and be able to shower and change afterwards.  Of course you'll have to pay for transport to the hotel on top of that.