Room Access Issue

Hi all

Question for any of you, I have booked two rooms side by side and according to RCL this was the correct thing to do because on paper people under 21 can't book a room (even though over 12 and they are adult price, grr) so me and my son are in one and wife and daughter is in the other.

No they are not connecting rooms (no way kids!) and they are both in their teens so them in one and us in the other is fine with RCL - however, for my wife and sons the room key can't open the correct room.

I asked RCL on the phone but they said that nothing can be done before getting on board but on crusie critic someone told me tough luck ( I know I should have come here first) but has anyone had any experience where they have been able to change the room that their sea pass can access?

Essentially I don't want my son having to come and find me or my wife or his sister if he needs to get in the room

Cheers!

Hello,

So upon boarding the ship, your son and wife will have the same room keys. All you need to do is go to Guest Services and have an additional key made for your room so your wife can gain access. If you explain the situation they will understand and know what to do. Don't worry and enjoy your cruise!  :)

Just set up a cruise for my boss in a very similar manner and as Tylor indicated it was no problem to get an extra key card from Guest Services. Basically she and her husband could access both rooms, the kids only the one coded for on their card.

Little bit of a pain to carry two cards but not a big deal.

I'm not sure that you have to book an adult in each cabin. When we've traveled with our sons, we've booked them into their cabin next door to ours, adults in one cabin and children in the next. It's never been an issue and the advantage is that everyone's SeaPass cards open the right doors for their cabin. We'd also get additional key cards for the boys' room so we could get in there as well.

According to this FAQ page:

No Guest younger than the age twenty-one (21) will be assigned to a stateroom unless accompanied in the same stateroom by an adult twenty-one (21) years old or older. A guest's age is established upon the first date of sailing.

This age limit will be waived for children sailing with their parents or guardians in connecting staterooms; for underage married couples; and for active duty members of the United States or Canadian military.

I've highlighted the relevant section. From what I understand, the actual practice is not that the staterooms have to be "connecting", but merely adjoining.

Thanks guys - changing the booking is probably more hassle than it's worth now - but I'll ask at guest services and if an extra card is needed I won't be that bad. Can I just ask - a weird one but how do you actually carry the sea pass? Is it in a clip round your neck, or a slide plastic thing or just loose in your pocket?

Can I just ask - a weird one but how do you actually carry the sea pass? Is it in a clip round your neck, or a slide plastic thing or just loose in your pocket?

Don't be embarrassed to ask any question here.  We're all here to help :)

I carry my key in my pocket.  I've seen some people keeping their cards in a plastic holder that goes around their neck too.

Seen many options on carrying the card.

Kids club hands out lanyards and our son always wears his on the lanyard.

Wife and I just stick them in our pockets.

Have seen lanyards for sale that can be clipped to the card as well as ones that have a plastic sleeve that the card goes in.

Generally, however you are most comfortable :)

Thanks guys - changing the booking is probably more hassle than it's worth now - but I'll ask at guest services and if an extra card is needed I won't be that bad. Can I just ask - a weird one but how do you actually carry the sea pass? Is it in a clip round your neck, or a slide plastic thing or just loose in your pocket?

I carry my SeaPass card in my wallet along with my cash, ID and other credit cards. But many carry them in plastic holders hung around their neck or get a hole punched in them and attached them to a lanyard around their neck. I carry my wallet with me most of the time, so feel it is safer in there.

You can do the new keys once onboard and it should be fairly easy - I wait

until the first dinner time when guest services is less busy

The key is "connecting rooms" they will waive the age limit, but if they are not

connecting they usually do not from what I have seen - you can always call

back - each agent may have a different scenario..