Jewel of the Seas Review?

Hi, everyone! 

Sailing Jewel next year and looking forward to it soooo much. But I’ve seen a few reviews state that the rooms and public areas on Jewel are worn, dirty, falling apart, shabby.

I can’t imagine that’s true, but I haven’t been aboard. Has anyone recently sailed on Jewel? Any thoughts to share or things I might want to know? 

Thank you in advance!

Just did 24 days(2 x 12 day B2B) Norway Arctic Circle and Iceland/Ireland June/July. Ship is showing some age here and there, but overall is still a nice place to spend time.

It is NOT a floating amusement park, but that's why we like Radiance/Vision class ships. Even Voyager class to an extent.

Dining room was a bit cramped as they were trying to eliminate using the upper dining deck. Both fixed and "My Time" were on deck 4. Was not a fan.

WiFi was slow a lot of the time even with surf/stream pkg.

Did both Giovanni's and Chop's. Both were very good as usual.

Good service throughout, but language barriers popped up time to time as new staff were trying their best.

This was our first cruises since the start of covid, was good to be back after 2 years

Any specific questions? Would be glad to answer...................

1 hour ago, She Sails Away said:

Thank you. One question… Would you say a balcony is essential for a cruise such as that? Seems like it would be but I don’t know. We usually get inside rooms.

any excursions you would recommend?

What sailing are you interested in? Some of the more port intensive sailings are almost as enjoyable with an inside or ocean view cabin. We do like the balcony cabins on the transatlantic crossings(several sea days).

Wife Cathy generally gets together with others on the ships roll call from Cruise Critic and books excursions, saves money compared to ships tours.

Picture is aft balcony 9260 a few weeks ago on Jewel OTS at the dock in Amsterdam.

IMG_1402.JPG

IMG_1404.JPG

We cruised it pre covid. The two things that I really remember is that the windjammer was never busy. At most it would be 60% full.  The other was we didn't particularly like the shows. There was a band one night that id Billy Joel covers which were good, but in the other shows it was like the performers were screeching into the microphones. Not sure if it was the performers or the one running the controls

4 hours ago, L454S said:

What sailing are you interested in? Some of the more port intensive sailings are almost as enjoyable with an inside or ocean view cabin. We do like the balcony cabins on the transatlantic crossings(several sea days).

Wife Cathy generally gets together with others on the ships roll call from Cruise Critic and books excursions, saves money compared to ships tours.

Picture is aft balcony 9260 a few weeks ago on Jewel OTS at the dock in Amsterdam.

IMG_1402.JPG

IMG_1404.JPG

Thank you for this! Very exciting.

I'm looking at the Artic Circle cruise or the Norway 8 day. We can't make up our minds.

The Arctic Circle would be a good sailing for any type of cabin. It is port intense enough not to miss a balcony terribly.

The 12 day Itinerary was Amsterdam, Molde, Tromso, Honningsvag, Alesund, Flaam, Haugesund, Kristiansand, Amsterdam. Had a great time at every stop and can't recommend it enough, it was a bucket list for us. Especially the top of the world, Nord Kapp (North Cape) at the Honningsvag stop.

IMG_1616.JPG

IMG_1623.JPG

IMG_1601.JPG

• 1 month later...
On 8/18/2022 at 11:04 PM, L454S said:

The Arctic Circle would be a good sailing for any type of cabin. It is port intense enough not to miss a balcony terribly.

The 12 day Itinerary was Amsterdam, Molde, Tromso, Honningsvag, Alesund, Flaam, Haugesund, Kristiansand, Amsterdam. Had a great time at every stop and can't recommend it enough, it was a bucket list for us. Especially the top of the world, Nord Kapp (North Cape) at the Honningsvag stop.

Thank you for the information and pictures! 🙂

Did you stay 1 or 2 days in Honningsvag?

I'm also interested in the Norway Arctic Circle cruise and it seems that there are 2 journeys a year: One where the ship stays overnight in Honningsvag and the other where it is only scheduled for 1 day.

I don't know what is better and if then special shore excursions are offered in the evening or at night and you can maybe see the midnight sun at the North Cape.
But maybe it's just 2 days because there's a lot to see over there and then you can do more shore excursions.

Any experiences?

On 8/18/2022 at 7:31 AM, She Sails Away said:

Thank you. One question… Would you say a balcony is essential for a cruise such as that? Seems like it would be but I don’t know. We usually get inside rooms.

any excursions you would recommend?

We were on the Jewel (Aug 19-31) for the British Isles 12 night cruise.  We had a balcony and was out there a lot.  I love a balcony and we had perfect weather the entire time.  We loved everything about the Jewel.  The crew all seems to go above and beyond.  The WiFi (surf & stream) worked great for WiFi calling and emails and what little surfing that we did (we didn't stream anything).  The food was good and we had the best servers and the Head Maitre d' made it fun no matter what time of the day we were in the dining room.  We used the dining room or the pizza in the solarium as we aren't fans of buffets (too many hands touching stuff).  The shows were good and our excursions were all RCI excursion.

We had no complaints with the Jewel!  We are on the Jewel (October 2023) for the Fall Foliage cruise. 

We did the British Isle then the Artic circle cruises, Weather was nice except the the Artic Circle cruising day (cold and raw) and the stop at Nord Kapp .  Didn't see the Iron globe statue, too foggy.  We always get a balcony. Got up a midnight and saw the sunset.  Of course that maybe a reason why to get an interior room the sun is still shining at 10PM or maybe just a ocean view.

On 10/3/2022 at 11:36 PM, Mr.Cruiser said:

Thank you for the information and pictures! 🙂

Did you stay 1 or 2 days in Honningsvag?

I'm also interested in the Norway Arctic Circle cruise and it seems that there are 2 journeys a year: One where the ship stays overnight in Honningsvag and the other where it is only scheduled for 1 day.

I don't know what is better and if then special shore excursions are offered in the evening or at night and you can maybe see the midnight sun at the North Cape.
But maybe it's just 2 days because there's a lot to see over there and then you can do more shore excursions.

Any experiences?

On our sailing, we did not overnight in any port. I would love to do the trip again, there are several excursions we would like to go on. In almost every port, the bus rides are time consuming because there are no interstate type highways.

Having said that, there were several stops on every excursion to fill the day.

IMG_1462.JPG