recent coffee card experiences

need2cruz

I was considering getting the coffee card for my cruise on Wonder in January.  I know it's not good at the licensed Starbucks location.  My husband is particular about his coffee, but enjoyed the decaf mocha latte espresso with a double shot from Cafe promenade on our last cruise.  This is because they were using the Starbucks beans.  Does anyone know if this coffee drink would use 2 punches in the coffee card?  or do you pay the difference?  

I have never bought the coffee card, so I can't answer your question. But just FYI - Starbucks is now included on the Refreshment drink package.  I know it's considerably more than the coffee card, but it's also significantly less than the Deluxe Package and it still really expands your options.

I found this article on the website that has a detailed explanation of how the system works but also unfortunately confirms that there is still confusion in practice on how extra shots are accounted for as part of the program https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2022/06/24/guide-royal-caribbeans-coffee-card-package

1 hour ago, need2cruz said:

I was considering getting the coffee card for my cruise on Wonder in January.  I know it's not good at the licensed Starbucks location.  My husband is particular about his coffee, but enjoyed the decaf mocha latte espresso with a double shot from Cafe promenade on our last cruise.  This is because they were using the Starbucks beans.  Does anyone know if this coffee drink would use 2 punches in the coffee card?  or do you pay the difference?  

On a recent Radiance sailing my wife purchased a coffee card. The folks at the coffee place tried to say it was one punch per shot. I reviewed the terms and conditions on my purchase because I didn't remember that being stated anywhere. The beverage manager agreed with me that it is not stated anywhere and reversed that. As a matter of a fact, when they employ that logic the cost of the coffe card is actually more expensive then just buying the coffee's individually. A refreshment package may be a better investment than a coffee card.

36 minutes ago, Vancity Cruiser said:

On a recent Radiance sailing my wife purchased a coffee card. The folks at the coffee place tried to say it was one punch per shot. I reviewed the terms and conditions on my purchase because I didn't remember that being stated anywhere. The beverage manager agreed with me that it is not stated anywhere and reversed that. As a matter of a fact, when they employ that logic the cost of the coffe card is actually more expensive then just buying the coffee's individually. A refreshment package may be a better investment than a coffee card.

Concur that the description doesn't say "X espresso shots", but my experience in June on Mariner was one punch per shot.  What I discovered is that I loved the iced lattes, and I could get a single-shot drink that still tasted good.  I am glad you were able to persuade the manager to agree with you.

1 hour ago, need2cruz said:

We've used the coffee card on our last two cruises on Symphony and Wonder. Double shots cost us 2 punches on the few occasions we did a highly-caffeinated option.

1 hour ago, Ramja said:

I have never bought the coffee card, so I can't answer your question. But just FYI - Starbucks is now included on the Refreshment drink package.  I know it's considerably more than the coffee card, but it's also significantly less than the Deluxe Package and it still really expands your options.

Are you sure?  I'm still seeing this on Refreshment Package.

• All Beverage Packages exclude any beverages served inside licensed Starbucks® stores.

1 hour ago, ChessE4 said:

Concur that the description doesn't say "X espresso shots", but my experience in June on Mariner was one punch per shot.  What I discovered is that I loved the iced lattes, and I could get a single-shot drink that still tasted good.  I am glad you were able to persuade the manager to agree with you.

It took very little persuasion actually. I just asked him to show me the verbiage detailing this and I would gladly admit I was wrong. I was very polite and ready to assume I had missed something. He didn't even look (pretty sure he knew it wasnt there lol) and corrected it. The coffee card specifically said X amount of specialty coffee's, nothing about espresso shots. I think its Royal pulling a little sneaky sneaky and most folks just accept it when they are told onboard it is per shot.

53 minutes ago, Vancity Cruiser said:

It took very little persuasion actually. I just asked him to show me the verbiage detailing this and I would gladly admit I was wrong. I was very polite and ready to assume I had missed something. He didn't even look (pretty sure he knew it wasnt there lol) and corrected it. The coffee card specifically said X amount of specialty coffee's, nothing about espresso shots. I think its Royal pulling a little sneaky sneaky and most folks just accept it when they are told onboard it is per shot.

And the fact is that not ALL beverage managers will agree with the one you dealt with.  It seems from my experience that Royal Corporate Management gives a lot of latitude to ships management on how certain business policy's are implemented.

It seems that overwhelmingly the decision by ships management in this particular area is 1 punch for 1 shot.  If one is not willing to accept that as the policy, my advice would be to not buy a coffee card, as you may be disappointed.

Thanks everyone for the advise.  I'm not sure about the coffee card.  I'll have to do the math.  The large/vente size decaf coffee drink actually comes with 2 shots (because of the large size) and we add an extra shot.  I'm thinking they might want to punch the card 3 times....  We're Platinum and you get a couple of half off coffees on board, already.  When I ordered this drink on Liberty a couple of weeks ago, I was always charged a different amount, anywhere from $5-$8.  It seamed strange that the price was different, dependent on who was serving me.

15 hours ago, JimnKathy said:

We've used the coffee card on our last two cruises on Symphony and Wonder. Double shots cost us 2 punches on the few occasions we did a highly-caffeinated option.

The funny thing is my husband's double shot is decaf!  I don't understand.  I drink the plain old free coffee Royal gives, but I'm getting it strictly for the caffeine.  My husband doesn't want the caffeine, just the strong flavor.

20 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Starbucks beverages are not included in any beverage package (exception being Star Class) however, if the venue is not a Starbucks branded kiosk but serves beverages prepared with Starbucks beans, then it is covered.

Thank you for clarifying that.  When it was first announced (just a couple weeks ago) I think the wording was confusing, and I took it to mean that the Starbucks kiosks were included in the drink package. 

14 minutes ago, IRMO12HD said:

How much is a latte at Cafe Promenade?  Does anyone have access to (or can point me  in the direction of) a current price list?

EatSleepCruise has one in their Navigator of the Seas restaurant guide.  It was last updated in 2020, so probably pretty current. (https://eatsleepcruise.com/navigator-of-the-seas-restaurant-guide/ is the guide and HERE is the menu.)  Keep in mind the different ships may have slightly different menus. For example, this Navi menu has smoothies and those aren't available on all the ships with Cafe Promenades.