Chef's Table

barjpoe

Just recently did Chef's Table. Really enjoyed it. I had a couple of food concerns and they were very accommodating. My one concern is the filet. It is a 9oz. portion (I think), and by the time it comes I'm starting to get full. I wish they'd offer an option of a smaller portion.  At the table I was at I don't think any finished their portion. What a waste of food. if you don't finish. Because then comes dessert - The World! even that was hard to finish.  

Edited by barjpoe
change wording

• barjpoe changed the title to Chef's Table
  • 3 weeks later...

I found the pace of the meal to be too slow, but my biggest gripe was the pairing of the wine, and how they were really overselling $10 bottles as being very premium (the Mondavi was good, but even then a $50 retail bottle).

But Royal is clearly pulling away from anything premium in the wine space, the lack of a trained Somm being replaced with a guy with script, and pairings that not only didn’t work, but actually detracted from the meal.

We were set for this to be the highlight of the cruise meal experience, and it fell abysmally short.  The steak was the best steak we had on the cruise, and the Mondavi Cab worked well,  but the others… wow. We have the most New Zealand-y Savi Blanc ever… might as well just eaten aGrapefruit, but the worst part is it overwhelmed the fish.

Conceptually, a great idea.  But increasing poor execution.  Stick to Chops and Jaimes.

I guess it's how you look at it. It's been a while but I liked the food, the wine was hit or miss for me (I'm kinda snobby about my wine and anything sweet or too fruity and i'm out) but the experience was great. I loved sitting with a small group and getting to meet people. 

I saw it more as an experience and fine(r) dining. 

2 hours ago, ellcee said:

I guess it's how you look at it. It's been a while but I liked the food, the wine was hit or miss for me (I'm kinda snobby about my wine and anything sweet or too fruity and i'm out) but the experience was great. I loved sitting with a small group and getting to meet people. 

I saw it more as an experience and fine(r) dining. 

Totally agree that the experience is more about the people than the food or wine.  I am a pretty simple eater.  FooFoo food is a waste on me but we've always really enjoyed the other guests and a number of times ended up inviting people back to our suite for more food and wine !!