Electrical Outlets?

I agree with Matt, as so many things we use now charge with USB.  One additional option is to leverage that 220V (European) outlet on the vanity by using an adapter, providing you only use it with dual-voltage devices.  I have several, including this one http://amzn.to/2miYucG.

I'll shamelessly plug a post I wrote about alternatives to prohibited power strips: http://www.cruisehabit.com/power-strips-why-theyre-not-allowed-ships-and-how-safely-gain-some-extra-outlets

As an extension to this question, are the European outlets in the cabins grounded (3 prong) or ungrounded (2 prong)?  Thanks

Looking at the attached photo, the 230v socket is 2 prongs, but the metal bit at the bottom of the socket (one at the top also) is actually the grounding "plug".

post-4134-0-05618800-1474367456_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with Matt, as so many things we use now charge with USB.  One additional option is to leverage that 220V (European) outlet on the vanity by using an adapter, providing you only use it with dual-voltage devices.  I have several, including this one http://amzn.to/2miYucG.

I'll shamelessly plug a post I wrote about alternatives to prohibited power strips: http://www.cruisehabit.com/power-strips-why-theyre-not-allowed-ships-and-how-safely-gain-some-extra-outlets

Doing last minute packing and trying to figure out if I need to put this in my checked or carry on luggage--we are flying, and the TSA rules are all so conflicting. I can find stuff on computer batteries and plugs, but I haven't been able to find anything on powerstrips. Experienced cruisers, help!

Doing last minute packing and trying to figure out if I need to put this in my checked or carry on luggage--we are flying, and the TSA rules are all so conflicting. I can find stuff on computer batteries and plugs, but I haven't been able to find anything on powerstrips. Experienced cruisers, help!

I've flown with alot of weird things (especially for work - goiing to trade shows and such) and have never had an issue with power strips or anything like that.  I'm confident you'll be in good shape.

As an extension to this question, are the European outlets in the cabins grounded (3 prong) or ungrounded (2 prong)?  Thanks

Looking at the attached photo, the 230v socket is 2 prongs, but the metal bit at the bottom of the socket (one at the top also) is actually the grounding "plug".

Correct, the metal slips are supposed to be earth grounded.

There is a 3 conductor European plug, aType E (see link below) that is used in some countries, and it uses a third pin for grounding.  The grounding ocurrs on a "male" pin on the jack, where the plug has two male pins for hot and neautral (whereas in the US and UK, the male pins are all on the plug).  This actually allows gounded type F plugs to go into type F or type E jacks.  (whereas in the US, if you have a 3 conductor grounded plug it must go into a grounded outlet).  

The above face is something I should have mentioned in my previous comment, as you can plug a grounded or ungrounded (E or F) into the jack that the ships have (F).  In other words, if you have something with 2 pins, and it looks like a Euro plug, you're probably good (unless it's a Gost, used in Russia, then it's iffy).  Old tyep C plugs (two conductors, but not a round plug) will also work.  

Now, how much more info is that than you all really wanted on international power plugs and jacks?

http://www.worldstandards.eu/electricity/plugs-and-sockets/

You'll be find with an extension cord in either carry-on or checked luggage. You can even ask the ship for an extension cord (something I recently learned) if its for a medical device like a CPAP. Now the ship has rules that all extension cords must be grounded so I recommend a three prong extension cord otherwise your stateroom attendant might have someone from engineering come give you a talking to.

You'll be find with an extension cord in either carry-on or checked luggage. You can even ask the ship for an extension cord (something I recently learned) if its for a medical device like a CPAP. Now the ship has rules that all extension cords must be grounded so I recommend a three prong extension cord otherwise your stateroom attendant might have someone from engineering come give you a talking to.

I asked my attendant (Freedom of the Seas) for an extension cord for our TWO CPAP machines.   I was expecting a 15 ft cord but they brought a 100ft industrial extension cord!   I did have to plug my "normal" extension cord into their cord for the two machines.    Since we were in a ADA room, I would have thought we would have outlets bedside for any medical equipment that might have been required.  

• 5 months later...
38 minutes ago, FManke said:

Are there any electrical outlets in any of the cabin bathrooms on board? 

I've read conflicting reports.

There is one in the bathroom labeled "Shaver Only" or Razor Only" and had a picture of a guy shaving (sort of).  This outlet is usually dual voltage (you can get 110 or 220 from it) and has a very low amperage capacity (usually 250mA or less).  Not usable for much these days unless you have a very old style plug in shaver.  In theory you may get a low powered phone charger to use it but much more than that will trip its breaker.  Some ships tie these to the lights in the bathroom also, so no light, no outlet.

26 minutes ago, PRC said:

There is one in the bathroom labeled "Shaver Only" or Razor Only" and had a picture of a guy shaving (sort of).  This outlet is usually dual voltage (you can get 110 or 220 from it) and has a very low amperage capacity (usually 250mA or less).  Not usable for much these days unless you have a very old style plug in shaver.  In theory you may get a low powered phone charger to use it but much more than that will trip its breaker.  Some ships tie these to the lights in the bathroom also, so no light, no outlet.

I was really looking for a place to plug in a night light.

1 hour ago, FManke said:

Last year on the Allure, there was an automatic low wattage nite light  in the bathroom over the mirror & sink. Just right for the "mid-night sailor".  What ship will you be on? Ask around here, someone might be able to....shed some light. :27_sunglasses:

4 minutes ago, rjac said:

Last year on the Allure, there was an automatic low wattage nite light  in the bathroom over the mirror & sink. Just right for the "mid-night sailor".  What ship will you be on? Ask around here, someone might be able to....shed some light. :27_sunglasses:

Serenade

These wireless led lights w/switch are fantastic even for power outage lighting at home or car emergency ... pretty much better than a lantern:

https://www.amazon.com/Promier-Wireless-Switch-Diamond-Vision/dp/B01IDLCKGE/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1504390314&sr=8-6&keywords=wireless+led+light+switch

We bought them locally and saved.  Get the brightest you can put your hands on.

pops

27 minutes ago, pops946 said:

These wireless led lights w/switch are fantastic even for power outage lighting at home or car emergency ... pretty much better than a lantern:

https://www.amazon.com/Promier-Wireless-Switch-Diamond-Vision/dp/B01IDLCKGE/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1504390314&sr=8-6&keywords=wireless+led+light+switch

We bought them locally and saved.  Get the brightest you can put your hands on.

pops

Hey Pops,

Hope you are high and dry! By the way you had recommended Seattle's Best "Henry's Blend" to me way earlier this year. I finally found some at a local retail grocery shop. Great blend, just as I remember from on board the Serenade back in March..

These wireless led lights look great, but how bright are they? Are they light the typical night light you put in the hall or bathroom? Or are they like an overhead that lights up the room?

2 hours ago, rjac said:

Hey Pops,

Hope you are high and dry! By the way you had recommended Seattle's Best "Henry's Blend" to me way earlier this year. I finally found some at a local retail grocery shop. Great blend, just as I remember from on board the Serenade back in March..

These wireless led lights look great, but how bright are they? Are they light the typical night light you put in the hall or bathroom? Or are they like an overhead that lights up the room?

Hey RJ,  thanks ... yep we're 50 minutes from Arkansas so just 2'" of rain but not enough wind to blow it sideways.  Glad you could find Henry's too, Walmart only stocks it around here and sometimes it may not get restocked for a few weeks so we keep a few bags at home  as a back up.  My wife's taste buds said 4 heaping scoops/32 oz h2o  was pretty close to what the "Liberty" was cooking in May.

I originally bought a few of those  lights for mom at an assisted living  for power outages plus a closet that had no lighting (I velcrosed it on a wall where she could flip the switch). The facility won't allow any hardwired or extension corded 110v lighting.  The place was built in the 90s,  must have been a code violation for assisted living then.  They are way brighter than those receptacle hallway night lights but they come in several different led configurations,  just get the 5000 temperature kelvin/color correct ones with the most led bulbs inside and has the standard light switch on the face.  

We're down in Biloxi for the holidays, I'll let you know more about ours in a few days.  I don't believe the AAA batteries  will power it up  at the ceiling for an entire room allowing you to read a newspaper but at lamp height you could read. 

pops

1 hour ago, PRC said:

You could leave the bathroom light on and the door closed.  The bottom of the door has a gap and will provide a night light-like effect.

That is an option, but, if you have to use the bathroom.......it's like looking at a solar flair at nigh time!:52_fearful:

Best nightlight option IMO is a battery powered light.  I am a fan of Pak-Lites myself because they have two power settings, you can get them in red or orange which is great for night lighting, and you can glue a magnet to the back of the 9v battery to stick it to the wall.  A lot of people talk up those inexpensive tealights too.  With either option having a battery light makes it easier to put anywhere, not just where there is an outlet.

On 9/2/2017 at 0:34 PM, FManke said:

We bring one of those LED lights you push to turn on. We leave it on the bathroom counter and when we get up in the middle of the night we just push the light to turn it on. Much less bright than the bathroom light in a stateroom, it's small and runs on a couple of AA batteries. They typically look like this and are about $5 +/-.

0526850_1?defaultImage=image_na_EN&wid=160&hei=160&op_sharpen=1

3 hours ago, Gears said:

We bring one of those LED lights you push to turn on. We leave it on the bathroom counter and when we get up in the middle of the night we just push the light to turn it on. Much less bright than the bathroom light in a stateroom, it's small and runs on a couple of AA batteries. They typically look like this and are about $5 +/-.

0526850_1?defaultImage=image_na_EN&wid=160&hei=160&op_sharpen=1

Yep, I used to have one of those in the tool closet in the garage, the newer ones out are way brighter than the old one I bump with the heel of my hand.  pops

On 9/2/2017 at 5:47 PM, rjac said:

Hey Pops,

Hey RJ, this particular led has NEBO on the face, about the size of a single light switch, only deeper to accommodate  batteries and leds, etc:

https://www.rcplanet.com/tools/pit-table-lights/nebo-flipit-portable-led-light-2-pack-asg6523/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI3qHFpK6M1gIVCatpCh38YAIMEAYYASABEgLv2_D_BwE

you can probably find them a bit cheaper locally ... pops

1 hour ago, pops946 said:

Hey RJ, this particular led has NEBO on the face, about the size of a single light switch, only deeper to accommodate  batteries and leds, etc:

https://www.rcplanet.com/tools/pit-table-lights/nebo-flipit-portable-led-light-2-pack-asg6523/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI3qHFpK6M1gIVCatpCh38YAIMEAYYASABEgLv2_D_BwE

you can probably find them a bit cheaper locally ... pops

Thanks for the tip Pops!