Diamond Plus Dining Perk?

Neesa

When I peruse the Diamond Plus perks there seems to be a buy one specialty get one free for each member. We just achieved this status so may I ask? Our family of 3 would pay for 2, correct? To reserve the option can you do it before the sailing with this perk?  Can your TA do it? Must we wait to board before we can access this perk? 

As an after thought, they really should allow the pinnacles to enjoy some free specialty dining at these specialty restaurants, it would take the pressure off CK maybe 2 or 3 times a sailing. 

This just made me thinking of another question, as a family of 4 (2 adults and 2 teens, all D+), would we only pay for 2 guests and the other 2 are free?

And, if I reserved it ahead of time on the cruise planner (to secure a time slot), could I just get the complimentary ones refunded back to me once onboard?

2 hours ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

This just made me thinking of another question, as a family of 4 (2 adults and 2 teens, all D+), would we only pay for 2 guests and the other 2 are free?

And, if I reserved it ahead of time on the cruise planner (to secure a time slot), could I just get the complimentary ones refunded back to me once onboard?

Yes, the question I forgot to ask! @twangster do you know? 

The Diamond Plus BOGO dining is an on board offer that will be found on the offer letter left in your cabin.

See this thread for on board offers:

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/boards/index.php?/topic/25934-crown-anchor-on-board-offers-20212022-edition/

Typical verbiage is "Buy one specialty dining cover charge, get one free" with other restrictions like day 1 or 2 only, some venues not included, etc.

Diamond Plus Youth have their own offer letter.  Not all D+ member benefits apply to youth.  From what I have seen D+ youth are not offered a dining BOGO.  

In practice for a couple who are both D+ there are two common example use cases. 

In the first each pays for a specialty dining cover on night one then each gets a second specialty dining cover on night two for free.  In this use case you enjoy two dinners for the cost of one on an individual basis.

The second involves one person buying a specialty dining cover on day one or two and using the other half of their BOGO to cover the charge for another guest for that dinner.  In this use case two guests visit one specialty dining venue once and pay for just one guest.  

As a solo guest they generally let me buy a specialty dinner on night one where I pay full charge and then I get a another dinner on night two where I am presented a zero cost bill for night two.  As an alternative I could ask to pay for one dinner and have my BOGO applied to a second guest that I invited to dinner. 

How this applies when you add a 3rd or 4th guest should be no different than if you add a third or forth guest without using a BOGO.

Forget the BOGO for a minute.  If you and a spouse each pay for a specialty dinner how is the 3rd or 4th child or teen guest billed for that dinner?  That should still apply if you are using a BOGO to cover the cost of the primary guests.  

Since youth do not get a BOGO as part of D+ youth benefits nothing changes for their portion of the bill.

For a family of four you could decide that one D+ BOGO is used for one adult who pays for that meal and their BOGO applies to one teen, then the other D+ adult pays for their meal and uses their BOGO for a second teen.  Both adults pay full price and use their respective BOGOs to cover the cost of two teens. 

A couple don't have to apply their BOGO voucher in the same method.  One D+ adult could use their BOGO for themselves, paying for night one and getting a night two dinner for free as part of the BOGO while their spouse uses their BOGO voucher to cover another person when they pay for a dinner on night one and invite a guest to join them on night one.  

In the purest sense the dining BOGO is an individual voucher that each D+ adult uses at their own discretion without any linking applied to another guest who may or may not have their own D+ BOGO.

As far as booking a venue in advance then using an on board BOGO:

The BOGO applies to buying a specialty dining cover charge purchased on board at on board rates.  

If you have booked a venue in advance what should occur is that would be refunded and then you buy the cover charge on board using the BOGO to cover something else, either another person or a second dinner.  

In practice each ship does things differently.

It appears to me that the ship has revenue targets to meet.  A dinner bought in advance is not applied to the ship's quota or target for on board revenue.  When presented with an opportunity to cancel an advance purchase and re-charge a dinner on board the ship will usually go this route so that the charge is applied towards their revenue target for on board sales.

1 hour ago, twangster said:

It appears to me that the ship has revenue targets to meet.  A dinner bought in advance is not applied to the ship's quota or target for on board revenue.  When presented with an opportunity to cancel an advance purchase and re-charge a dinner on board the ship will usually go this route so that the charge is applied towards their revenue target for on board sales.

@twangster Responding to your above statement and then applying it to use of the UDP by paying the additional pre-cruise charge to lock-in a specific dining time/day at a specialty restaurant and then switching that time/day to the UDP and cancelling the pre-cruise booking ( which by the way I think is gaming the system and unfair to other UDP purchasers) would have no effect whatever to the ship's revenue target, and may not be in there best interest to allow.

29 minutes ago, CruiseGus said:

@twangster Responding to your above statement and then applying it to use of the UDP by paying the additional pre-cruise charge to lock-in a specific dining time/day at a specialty restaurant and then switching that time/day to the UDP and cancelling the pre-cruise booking ( which by the way I think is gaming the system and unfair to other UDP purchasers) would have no effect whatever to the ship's revenue target, and may not be in there best interest to allow.

I don't endorse booking dining venues on an individual basis to secure a reservation that will be cancelled so that a dining package can be applied to that time.  Personally I'd like them to stop this practice.  However the practice is current allowed without any repercussion and it's not explicitly stated to be against any rules.  It's a hack and a loophole.

• 1 year later...

Clarification requested.. i have used this perk many times in the past and i am currently on Allure.. our dining plan ( party of 4 all D+) was 1st night chops, 2nd night do as you please and 3rd night Giovanis.

planned on eating very one purchasing their 1st night at chops then use their Bogo to get Giovanni’s compd on the 3rd night. Waiter informs us that both legs of the bogo need to be complete by the 2nd night, is this true? I thought the rules were you just had to complete the purchase part of the bogo by the 2nd night. Any experience with this?

18 minutes ago, APM said:

Waiter informs us that both legs of the bogo need to be complete by the 2nd night, is this true?

Yes. that is how it is intended to work. Many ships just haven't been strict about enforcing it over the years but people have reported ships becoming stricter.

All you can do is ask on day 1 and see what they tell you.

12 minutes ago, APM said:

Thanks.. yes we complied ..just shifted the dining plan.. 2 bought 1st night, other 2 got the bogo, tonight the other 2 will reciprocate and everyone on their own third night.

thanks again

No problem. Enjoy! Had a great meal at Giovanni's on Allure in October.