Solarium Bistro

JNS123

15 minutes ago, B&S said:

So much for the Solarium being "adults only"🤨

The solarium is adults only.  The dining venue is not.  The two are not the same.  

Kids are allowed to transit through the Solarium.  On some ships the forward elevators leave a family no choice but to walk through the Solarium.  

• 4 months later...
2 hours ago, JimnKathy said:

While anyone can eat there, families with little kids tend to eat in the WJ...not much variety that interests the little humans.

Sorry to say, this was not the case on the Allure last week.  The Bistro was about as loud as the WJ on some mornings.  It would be nice, if possible, to have just one adults-only venue to eat at, at least on the larger ships.  There are many other great options on the Oasis-class ships for families to enjoy.

12 hours ago, CruisinMikeD said:

Sorry to say, this was not the case on the Allure last week.  The Bistro was about as loud as the WJ on some mornings.  It would be nice, if possible, to have just one adults-only venue to eat at, at least on the larger ships.  There are many other great options on the Oasis-class ships for families to enjoy.

Or maybe cruise on a line that is not so family friendly. I wish there was a venue without condescending old dudes growling at kids even before they have mucked up.

16 hours ago, CruisinMikeD said:

We were on Oasis last week and the Bistro was very nice and relaxed. Just a few children and they were well behaved.

We went to the WJ only once just to check it out and even at 10:30 it was total chaos.

5 hours ago, bretts173 said:

Or maybe cruise on a line that is not so family friendly. I wish there was a venue without condescending old dudes growling at kids even before they have mucked up.

Which cruise have you been on where old folks have been bothering you and coming unglued on someone else's kids?  Personally I've never seen this.  Please feel free to share.

5 hours ago, CruisinMikeD said:

Which cruise have you been on where old folks have been bothering you and coming unglued on someone else's kids?  Personally I've never seen this.  Please feel free to share.

Plenty of times. I have cruised enough to be diamond fairly young and my kids who are now in their late teen years have always been treated like crap as soon as they enter the lounge. Kids are mostly charged at the same rate as adults and if a seat is free they should have it. The 4 now 5 drinks is a welcome change to get away from there. 

My kids are brought up to treat every one equally unfortunately it is not reciprocated by many to them.

So many posts on here mentioning how many kids are on each cruise and why can't we have our own space. Guess what you have the choice. It's called Princess.

On the Anthem now…holiday cruise…lots and lots of families! 
I eat breakfast and lunch virtually every day at the Solarium Bistro. It’s a fantastic venue hidden away and I have never found it crowded. The food choices are definitely not as varied as the Windjammer, but for me…the choices are great, the food is fresh and the presentation very nice.

I think not having as much variety as the Windjammer is one of the main reasons I don’t see many…if any…families with youngsters. I’m guessing they would rather have the larger venue with more seating, more choices and better views. 

Also, this is day seven of an eight day Holiday cruise and I have not seen any youngsters hanging out in the Solarium itself. To be fair, if I was a kid I certainly wouldn’t want to be hanging out in some quiet, boooooooring place full of geezers when I could be in the family pool area with other kids, the whirlpool, the kid’s splash zone and the soft serve ice cream cone service!

1 hour ago, BrianB said:

Also, this is day seven of an eight day Holiday cruise and I have not seen any youngsters hanging out in the Solarium itself. To be fair, if I was a kid I certainly wouldn’t want to be hanging out in some quiet, boooooooring place full of geezers when I could be in the family pool area with other kids, the whirlpool, the kid’s splash zone and the soft serve ice cream cone service!

On the last sea day of our Thanksgiving sailing this explains the scenario perfectly. The parents dragged the little ones to the Solarium pool, little to do and pretty boring. Not even water flowing from the lions mouths; the kids were cranky. Crying and screaming, running around but again not really a set up for them. One family brought electronics to loudly play cartoons for the kids but again really not the kiddos fault. I don't recognize cartoons of today, I'm from the bugs bunny era. 

On the Oasis class we enjoy the bistro as well, thinking back I can't remember any kiddos negatively impacting our enjoyment if I recall it (myself included) was the celebration of old geezers/vintages bistro!