Parties of 5

We just returned from our first cruise ever, and had a great time! We are a family of 5, and had an ocean view room that accommodated all of use since my youngest is in a pack 'n play. However, by next year, she will be too big for that type of sleeping arrangement. I'm wondering what our options are for booking staterooms going forward. I know there is the connecting room option, which is fine. But, is there an option to book a larger stateroom that's not a suite (perhaps an oversized ocean view or balcony room)? I guess what I'm asking is do cruise ships have roll-away beds....like they do in some hotels....to accommodate a (young) family of 5?

There are quite a few rooms on board that will hold families of five. You can typically see these on the ship with a little (5+) icon on the room number. We're sailing on Liberty next month with five of us in a deluxe oceanview, and we've sailed on Explorer in a panoramic oceanview that also was 5+. So I think the thing to do with any room (there are also a few limited interior rooms with 5+) is to look at your sailing and then go through the room categories looking for that icon. Alternately you can call RC directly, or your travel agent, and they can help you find it. I've not seen a room with a rollaway bed, but they do have pullmans and bunk beds. I hope that helps!

The ultra spacious interior/oceanview/balcony room has two bunks and a pretty large stateroom that holds "upto 6" with the couch that sleeps more, which is great for families. They are pricier than the regular stateroom, but they aren't suite expensive. We have that category room booked for two upcoming cruises with our three "littles" on the allure and the wonder. 

Agree on the Ultra Spacious Oceanview stateroom.  
Some ships the Junior Suite can accomodate 5.
You cannot book online for those cabins, it must be via Royal direct or via your Travel agency.
When you are looking you will have to rely on the room description to find out if it can sleep 5 since there is no way to do a search otherwise.

Additionally, you might consider booking connecting rooms.....it has an interior connecting door you can leave open.  That gives you an extra bathroom!  

1 hour ago, Pattycruise said:

Agree on the Ultra Spacious Oceanview stateroom.  
Some ships the Junior Suite can accomodate 5.
You cannot book online for those cabins, it must be via Royal direct or via your Travel agency.
When you are looking you will have to rely on the room description to find out if it can sleep 5 since there is no way to do a search otherwise.

Additionally, you might consider booking connecting rooms.....it has an interior connecting door you can leave open.  That gives you an extra bathroom!  

Yes! We always book four people in a room, so we just learned the other day that you can add a fifth, but it had to be a new reservation. It was confusing, I almost didn't end up bringing my niece because I thought "new reservation" meant "add another room", but no. The agent helped me get it sorted. 

On several occasions, my family of 5 had tried many of the spacious staterooms on Freedom class.  We tried interior on deck 2 (2309), Ultra spacious ocean view (9200/9500) and the spacious promenade stateroom (7307/7607 and 8307/8607).  By far, the promenade ones worked out best for us.  These were quite nice from a location perspective (mid ship) and accommodation perspective (large room with a bunk room).  It was also nice as we used the promenade windows as a 'sign system' to let the rest of family know who was in the room... my youngest daughter also put a 'bring cookies' sign in the window.  🙂 

While these days, the two room connecting balconies is probably preferred, we did enjoy these staterooms and promenade specifically quite a bit.

There was 5+ rooms but when booking it seemed that was the more expensive route to go, so we went with two rooms next to each other.  They are not connecting, but honestly we stay at 1 or 2 bedroom places a lot and our kids are many times closer to the front door than us and it has never been an issue, they know not to leave the room.  So I don't see it as an issue for us.  I am debating whether to put the 5 year old with us or the other two.  Honestly he is a really responsible 5 year old so I don't see him trying to escape the room. 

We are a family of 5 with Older kids now (15,15 and 12).

We have tried the Promenade Family Room in the past and it was great. We will have the Ultra Spacious Ocean View Room on Harmony (these are fabulous at the Aft of Deck 7 HUGE balcony). I always prefer having everyone together. Your advantage with a connecting room is that you have 2 full bathrooms but I still prefer the Ultra Spacious Rooms. There are also some unadvertised LARGER Ocean View rooms on the Quantum Class, at the front of the Ship deck 8-10.

As others have mentioned the 2 different reservation number is a bit of a pain but its doable and as long as you link them together you can easily do all your reservations on the Cruise Planner.

The main thing to remember is when you see them available BOOK them. You can always get a better sale prices later. As long as you follow the pricing you will be able to get the price adjusted (you will need patience but its worth it).