Onboard credit for planner refunds?

Ok, because I just can't throw caution to the wind and not make reservations, I'm trying @WAAAYTOOO's idea and booked separate dining times at wonderland, izumi and 150 Central Park, but I also booked the 3 night dining pkg because it saved over $40 a person.  On board I'm planning on heading right to a restaurant (on Harmony, anyone found a place with lower lines so I can avoid the prominade scheduling line?) to hopefully just transfer the reservation times and then cancel the individual restaurants.  If they don't let me do this, then I want to cancel the package...I will just pay more.  My questions are:. Will they refund one or the other purchases on the ship and also, how does the refund come back?  Will it be refunded to the original credit card or because the cruise has started, will it go to onboard credit?  It matters because I'm trying to figure out whether to pre-pay gratuities or not.  Other than extra signed tips (and I'm planning on bringing more small bills this time), we have the drink pkg and don't tend to have a lot to use the onboard credit for.  Jane

Not quite the same thing, but similar. On our last cruise I accidentally booked the wrong internet package and didn't want to cancel for refund to my card because I would have lost out on the exchange rate and foreign currency fee.

So I booked the correct package in addition to the wrong one and went to the Voom person when we boarded. He was able to cancel the one I didn't want and it immediately posted as OBC. I imagine the same will apply for your meal reservations. That said, as I understand it, this OBC is refundable if you are unable to use it all on board, in which case any that is left over should then be refunded to the original form of payment.

12 hours ago, FionaMG said:

Not quite the same thing, but similar. On our last cruise I accidentally booked the wrong internet package and didn't want to cancel for refund to my card because I would have lost out on the exchange rate and foreign currency fee.

So I booked the correct package in addition to the wrong one and went to the Voom person when we boarded. He was able to cancel the one I didn't want and it immediately posted as OBC. I imagine the same will apply for your meal reservations. That said, as I understand it, this OBC is refundable if you are unable to use it all on board, in which case any that is left over should then be refunded to the original form of payment.

I didn’t know about the refundable part…I’ve always assumed all onboard credit was no refundable!  Good to hear your scenario worked!  Jane