CPAP

JNS123

Although we always have, I don’t think it matters.  Port security doesn’t have that information and we’ve always just put it through the scanner.  Make sure not to check it.  Your stateroom attendant can get you distilled water and a cord (if needed).

You don't need to, but it's a good way to let them know you will need distilled water and possibly an extension cord.

Don't bring your own extension cord, it may get confiscated at check-in. Besides, it's one less thing to pack/carry.

Back in June, I filled out the special needs form, but the room attendant didn’t have the info.  In short time, he delivered the extension cord and distilled water.  Previous cruise, everything was waiting for me.  It’s hit or miss with the form, but in the end, just mention the CPAP to the attendant and you’ll be all set.

I've been traveling with the ResMed10 CPAP for 5 years. When I first received it, I looked up FAA guidelines on taking it aboard flights and learned it was an acceptable medical device to take on-board as carry on luggage (tagged as a medical device it will not count against any weight limits that might be imposed by an airline. I inquired of the airline CSR that we were flying and they had no clue but thought I needed to fill out a special medical need form. She emailed it to me, I filled it out and sent it back. Never heard anything further, carried it aboard, no one cared - I did not use it during the flight, an 8h translant. 

At the beginning when I first started traveling with my CPAP, I would notify Celebrity cruise lines at least 30d in advance that I was using a CPAP and would need an extension cord and distilled water. On one cruise, the extension cord and water were in my cabin when we arrived. Once ..... the rest of the times - probably a couple dozen -  I stopped wasting my time filling out forms and simply informed our Cabin attendants, when they introduced themselves, that I used a CPAP and needed an extension cord and distilled water. No problem. These items would show up before we were unpacked.

Edge class ships have a plug near the bed stands - no extension cord required. On Anthem of the Seas, there's plug under the bed that is easily reachable with the CPAP's power cord. So, needing an extension cord depends on the ship your sailing on. Either way, no need and don't carry one of your own aboard.

What you may need is a device that converts a European two prong socket to a North American three prong type. Be careful with purchasing and using these. If the ship's power source in your cabin is 125v or less, just about any inexpensive converter plug will work. Watch out if the main power source is greater than that - usually 200-250v. You'll need a step-down converter if the ship's voltage is greater than 125v. There's a ton to sort through on this subject and I don't want to misinform anyone. Here's a good link that covers the complexity of converting two prong sockets to three.    https://www.tripsavvy.com/best-power-adapters-for-european-travel-1508193

I have been using a Bi-Pap/CPAP for over 15 years and I have filled out the special needs form dozens of times and sometimes Distilled Water is waiting in the room and other times not. I figure sometimes it gets to the ship and other times it is totally missed.  One thing a cruise ship always has onboard is Distilled water!  As a rule I still fill it out, however it usually takes no time to get what you need onboard.

In addition, the newer ships have power closer to the bed, unlike some of the older ships that you will need to ask for an extension  cord from the get go.