Tipping porters at European ports

whitsmom

10 minutes ago, Zacharius said:

While it will be a bit of a pain for them to convert it, and there will likely be a little bit of a fee for them, it helps that the USD is actually stronger than the EUR right now! 

Good to hear!  We will tip them nicely so hopefully they will be happy to help us --- that is IF our luggage arrives with us 🤔

31 minutes ago, berkeleykel said:

I disagree strongly, I think the only people who should be tipped with USD are crew members.  I wouldn’t tip at all rather than tip in anything other than Euros.  

Crew use wages which are paid into their banks accounts to transfer back home, the tips they get onboard are what they use for everyday living.

Getting $ onboard is ok and would never be refused however sometimes they have change dollars into Euros when onshore.

2 hours ago, whitsmom said:

We will be cruising out of Amsterdam this Friday and the question that I have is tipping the porters in USD$ acceptable for them?

If porters are anything like the ones at Copenhagen they wont hang around long enough for you to tip them! 

They are not looking for anything and dont hang about with hands out waiting because they are on good wages. 

Tipping culture in Europe is completely different to US, over here you tip because you get good service and value for money not just to make up someones poor wages.

20 minutes ago, Ray said:

Crew use wages which are paid into their banks accounts to transfer back home, the tips they get onboard are what they use for everyday living.

Getting $ onboard is ok and would never be refused however sometimes they have change dollars into Euros when onshore.

I agree I’d tip euros by default but since I’m sure they get USD regularly they are probably used to it. 

@whitsmom I don't think you need to be tipping the porters in Amsterdam. I have not sailed from Amsterdam jet, but I have in Europe taken Royal Caribbean cruises that departed from Barcelona, Copenhagen and Stockholm. In those three ports no one was waiting for you to tip them. They just take your bags and leave with them.

This is not like in Miami, where they want you to pay them before they take your bags. 

2 hours ago, berkeleykel said:

to be clear, tipping isn’t so standard there as in the US so I don’t think you should stress over this at all if picking up some euros is difficult. But I think they’d be more offended that you’d think they wanted your dollars than if you didn’t tip at all. 

I don't want to offend anyone (which is why I asked the question in the first place) but I don't use ATM's so this will be difficult to change unless I can do so at the Hotel the evening before.  I just want to know what my options are so I can prepare before heading to the port. 

You can change $ to € at US airport before your flight.

Honestly no one will be looking for or expecting a tip at the port.

In Cafes, hotels, restaurants and bars it's not compulsory but its always nice to give if you enjoy.

there's no % written on back of receipt or hands put out in front of you just because they've opened a door for you.

If you go to restaurant and you enjoy then you can leave a tip if you so wish, if you don't enjoy it then you don't tip. 

If you get a cab and driver doesn't get out his car to assist with luggage then they don't deserve any extra. 

If you go for a coffee in cafe and want to tip then leave the shrapnel ( loose change ) 

Tipping in Europe is by choice as is what you give. 

No one will be offended if you don't leave anything. 

46 minutes ago, whitsmom said:

I don't want to offend anyone (which is why I asked the question in the first place) but I don't use ATM's so this will be difficult to change unless I can do so at the Hotel the evening before.  I just want to know what my options are so I can prepare before heading to the port. 

I don't see why it should be on you to exchange the currency when the person receiving "foreign money" can also exchange the currency.  I think the gesture is nice.
I did exchange my US$ for Euro while at home-at my local bank.  The fee was not prohibitive, BUT the smallest bill is 5 Euro.....so if you wanted 1 or 2 Euro coin you have to find somewhere to get that change.  I tipped on the ship in both Euro and in US$, the bartenders were very happy regardless of which currency I tipped in. 

On a side note, I did a lot of excursions at the ports and almost everywhere they charged to use the public toilets....fee ranged from .50 Euro to 1 Euro.....

34 minutes ago, Pattycruise said:

I don't see why it should be on you to exchange the currency when the person receiving "foreign money" can also exchange the currency.  

Does this mean US waitresses or port handlers would accept GBP, Euro or Danish DKK? Don't think they would! 

Its just common courtesy to use the currency of the country you are in.

Regarding the lowest note being €5, when travelling abroad no bank or currency exchange will give you coins, this means Europeans are in the same situation when visiting the US, we also have to find somewhere to change a note into coins 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/15/2022 at 10:58 AM, Ray said:

If porters are anything like the ones at Copenhagen they wont hang around long enough for you to tip them! 

They are not looking for anything and dont hang about with hands out waiting because they are on good wages. 

Tipping culture in Europe is completely different to US, over here you tip because you get good service and value for money not just to make up someones poor wages.

In Copenhagen I had to put my bags on a conveyer belt thing myself, while the staff watched me, so there was nobody to tip even if I wanted to.