Guess what date Testing will be dropped...

djandyb

Hey,

What date do you reckon testing will be dropped?  I say this as an inevitability given everywhere else (bar countries that are keeping it up) have dropped it.

I only ask as we are going on Oasis end of September and still no clearer to how we are going to get a test done with the timings etc (flying from the UK).  Obviously don't want to book a testing slot somewhere at quite sizeable expense (most are pay in advance and non refundable) so leaving it right up until the last minute.

I'm hoping for 1st September for testing being dropped; surely a month of the other cruise lines doing away with it will be enough or will Royal really hold out for that long? 

Since Carnival announced on Friday that the Pre-Test for fully vaccinated folks on sailings under 16 days takes affect on 9/6 --- My guess, for the fun of the post is, they'll make the announcement today or tomorrow, taking affect on Thursday, 9/8.  Pure speculation, but since Carnival's announcement, I agree with you that, like Thanos said, it's inevitable.  In fact, to my knowledge, RC is one of the last ones to drop it.

I truly believe testing itself will not disappear for a very long time because it is not only the country of origin that matters for testing. There are so many countries around the world that Royal Caribbean travels to that have different requirements, with Bermuda being a notable example for having a test requirement. It will be a slow and drawn out process of a gradual lowering of testing requirements that may take years to fully resolve. And there is no guarantee that if cases rise again in the country of origin or the destination that testing requirements will not be reimposed on cruisers.

1 hour ago, coneyraven said:

Since Carnival announced on Friday that the Pre-Test for fully vaccinated folks on sailings under 16 days takes affect on 9/6 --- My guess, for the fun of the post is, they'll make the announcement today or tomorrow, taking affect on Thursday, 9/8.  Pure speculation, but since Carnival's announcement, I agree with you that, like Thanos said, it's inevitable.  In fact, to my knowledge, RC is one of the last ones to drop it.

I hope so; hoping 4 weeks of data will let them make that decision compounded with competitors getting rid.  I imagine they would rather have a few routes were tests are required based on cruise ports whilst others can be kept free of testing.  I don't have an issue with testing per se (that's a whole thread to avoid) but the hassle of it vs uncertainty for UK people travelling to the US is something i'd love to avoid (and the cost obv!).

Fingers crossed for it to be gone for September!

4 hours ago, Nmessier326 said:

We're arriving in Barcelona on sept 13 and getting on the ship on the 15th.  we'll have to test on the 13th when we get at the hotel or find a testing centre at the BCN airport...  not convenient ! hopefully Royal will drop the testing before we leave !!!! fingers crossed !!! 🤞

We are sailing from Barcelona in October, and we purchased Emed kits to take with us.  You can find testing sites near your lodging online - I was able to locate some backup sites when I searched.

Royal isn't the last to drop testing... Disney is still way strict on it according to their website.  I'm hoping I don't have to test for my December cruise strictly for logistical reasons.  But I'm also kinda thinking that even if they drop testing, they might bring it back for a "school/University/fall surge".  For the fun pool, I'm actually guessing tomorrow, Aug 16.  Wait... Change that, I'm guessing today Aug 15.  Go big or go home lol!  Jane

4 hours ago, Psycho and Barb said:

Lets see...Oceania was first and then Norwegian was next followed Regent Seven Seas and then Carnival.  I'll say Royal will be next by the end of the week...Lets say 19 Aug 22.

That would be a great anniversary present for the hubs and me! 

They better do it soon if they are gonna do it. The places that test are stopping or even closing up without any notice. I saw the place I go emptied out today. Had a bad run with the home tests. CVS and Walgreens locally have been cancelling most. They are having to close certain hours or even days cause they cant get staffed. 

9 hours ago, deep1 said:

They better do it soon if they are gonna do it. The places that test are stopping or even closing up without any notice. I saw the place I go emptied out today. Had a bad run with the home tests. CVS and Walgreens locally have been cancelling most. They are having to close certain hours or even days cause they cant get staffed. 

Thats a very good point; in the UK testing is quite difficult to get now.  Most places have shut down and the UK government isn't offering routine free testing anywhere.

As requirement dries up; there will start being a shortage of testing places!  Either the price will plummet or it'll get even more expensive; another thing RC need to consider pretty quickly imo!

28 minutes ago, djandyb said:

Thats a very good point; in the UK testing is quite difficult to get now.  Most places have shut down and the UK government isn't offering routine free testing anywhere.

As requirement dries up; there will start being a shortage of testing places!  Either the price will plummet or it'll get even more expensive; another thing RC need to consider pretty quickly imo!

NHS free testing basically vanished when all restrictions and the need to isolate were lifted. 

Interesting point regarding testing centres though, you are correct in that as countries lift restrictions resulting in fewer places needing tests to travel the less test centres are needed. 

We may end up with test centres only being found in Airports. 

I don't think RCG cares about whether there are free/discount testing sites, so that is a none-factor when it comes to dropping testing requirements. 

I believe Royal won't be dropping test requirements for sailings longer than 7N until they see what the metrics are for the current protocols. Unlike the other cruise lines Royal has a pretty good policy if you test positive. 

53 minutes ago, Ampurp85 said:

I don't think RCG cares about whether there are free/discount testing sites, so that is a none-factor when it comes to dropping testing requirements. 

I believe Royal won't be dropping test requirements for sailings longer than 7N until they see what the metrics are for the current protocols. Unlike the other cruise lines Royal has a pretty good policy if you test positive. 

In UK we could never use free testing for any type of vacation, if going on vacation we have to pay for tests.

The point being raised was that Testing stations in UK are closing due to the fact most places no longer need tests and in UK all restrictions have been lifted, this makes it more difficult to find somewhere to get a test if you stay outwith major cities.

My in-laws are sailing Oasis on Sunday. They were unable to find testing for under $130 per person.  They have Medicare and still couldn’t get “free” testing at Walgreens.  Lucky for them, I have some extra e-meds.  I don’t know what less experienced cruisers are doing.  I doubt they know about emed and rapid test and trace.  

For those of us in Europe, it's becoming a problem. We don't have access to e-med or other proctored testing and we're seeing the number of testing sites dwindling away to nothing. One of the main labs in my region had sites all across the region until fairly recently. Currently they have only three. It's an additional layer of concern when you not only have to test but don't know if you're even going to be able to find somewhere to do so.

Since Royal put the onus on the guest to arrange for testing, it would be helpful for there to be some sort of testing available at embarkation ports for anyone unable to source a test for themselves. 

1 hour ago, FionaMG said:

For those of us in Europe, it's becoming a problem. We don't have access to e-med or other proctored testing and we're seeing the number of testing sites dwindling away to nothing. One of the main labs in my region had sites all across the region until fairly recently. Currently they have only three. It's an additional layer of concern when you not only have to test but don't know if you're even going to be able to find somewhere to do so.

Since Royal put the onus on the guest to arrange for testing, it would be helpful for there to be some sort of testing available at embarkation ports for anyone unable to source a test for themselves. 

is the onpoint-testing.com site availabe for people in Europe?
I know that is not the point you are trying to make, just thought I'd share the site in case you, or someone reading this needs it.

26 minutes ago, Pattycruise said:

is the onpoint-testing.com site availabe for people in Europe?
I know that is not the point you are trying to make, just thought I'd share the site in case you, or someone reading this needs it.

It looks like it might because you don't have to buy the tests from them; you can use your own. I'm just not sure to what extent they would be able to validate a test purchased in Europe rather than the US.

However, I did have a look at a UK-based proctor site and it looks like that could potentially work, since they actually specify the list of accepted UK and EU tests.

So, it was definitely worth your sharing because you may well have pointed me in the right direction. 🙂

2 hours ago, FionaMG said:

It looks like it might because you don't have to buy the tests from them; you can use your own. I'm just not sure to what extent they would be able to validate a test purchased in Europe rather than the US.

However, I did have a look at a UK-based proctor site and it looks like that could potentially work, since they actually specify the list of accepted UK and EU tests.

So, it was definitely worth your sharing because you may well have pointed me in the right direction. 🙂

Azova offers proctored video tests for Covid tests bought outside on the US. https://athomevideo.azova.com/

On 8/16/2022 at 9:34 AM, Ampurp85 said:

The point isn't "free" the point is finding places at all! CVS, Walgreens, and most of the ones that were doing it stopped. The place i booked simply closed up and vanished. Buddy of mine nearest one is over two hours from his home! The emeds have issues as well. No drops , expired tests, nobody answering when trying to do a test. Lost Wifi Connection for even a couple seconds ends it.  This is a growing problem. 

I type in Covid testing near me  in google or bing. 20 or so places pop up . Most are CVS or Walgreens which as mentioned, stopped or cancelling. The others like urgent cares are either not doing or no rapids . Airport is hour drive and $25 short term for a "chance" that one of their might be open at $250 a person and a bigger chance that they won't do you without an air ticket... 

3 hours ago, deep1 said:

The point isn't "free" the point is finding places at all! CVS, Walgreens, and most of the ones that were doing it stopped. The place i booked simply closed up and vanished. Buddy of mine nearest one is over two hours from his home! The emeds have issues as well. No drops , expired tests, nobody answering when trying to do a test. Lost Wifi Connection for even a couple seconds ends it.  This is a growing problem. 

I type in Covid testing near me  in google or bing. 20 or so places pop up . Most are CVS or Walgreens which as mentioned, stopped or cancelling. The others like urgent cares are either not doing or no rapids . Airport is hour drive and $25 short term for a "chance" that one of their might be open at $250 a person and a bigger chance that they won't do you without an air ticket... 

Again, that has no bearing on when testing will be dropped. Them requiring test doesn't mean the onus is placed on them. There are no places to test in my locations, so I can only do proctored testing, since it is 3 days, I have plenty of time to get it done.

1 hour ago, Ampurp85 said:

Again, that has no bearing on when testing will be dropped. 

I dont think anyone has actually said it would!!

What has been said is that its getting more difficult to find places to get tests done right across the world. 

RC or any other company could look at this problem and form a short term partnership with test supplier, have a pop up location at ports where testing could be done.