Unrest in Baja California

Losing Ensenada as a port of call would be very significant to the 3 & 4 night cruises from LA.  They require a foreign port to be legal.  Catalina may seem foreign 🤣 but isn't. 

There are no good alternatives to count as a foreign stop for the short west cruises if Ensenada is unavailable.  The longer cruises that go further South are fine.

Violence in Mexican tourist destinations like Cancun doesn't usually target tourists but tourists still get killed in tourist destinations like Cancun.  

That is the concern.  If an Ensenada cruise guest ended up getting caught up in something would have a pronounced chilling effect on the west coast cruise industry.  Past violence in Mazatlan had the same impact to the cruise industry and for years Mazatlan was avoided by many cruise lines.  Some cite that as a part of why Royal pulled out of the west coast.  It may not have been the primary reason but it played into it as a factor.

Not a good weekend to be in Northern Baja.

https://ktla.com/news/nationworld/cartel-threatens-weekend-of-mass-violence-in-all-of-northern-baja/

The message in Spanish read: “Be warned. As of Friday at 10 p.m. through Sunday at 3 a.m. we’re going to create mayhem so the (expletive) government frees our people. We’re the Jalisco New Generation Cartel, we don’t want to hurt good people but it’s best they don’t go outside, we’re going to attack anyone we see on the streets on these days.”

45 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Well if you're going to miss a port, missing Ensenada is a good one to miss.

I wonder if they got a hall pass for the PVSA violation or every guest will have an extra $778 added to their folio (I'm kidding, I think)

I'm thinking CBP will give them a pass.  

CBP is not typically an unreasonable organization when unexpected events cause a passenger ship to violate the PVSA.   Weather waivers and medical evacuations are common.  I'm betting CBP will let this one go.  

It would be different if the port had scheduled a port closure weeks in advance and cruise lines embarked in LA anyways knowing they would not be legal.  That clearly demonstrates intent to violate the PVSA.  In this case I don't think the CBP will take the position that Royal or Carnival was intending to violate the PVSA when they embarked.  

I read (scanned, really) an article yesterday that said the State Dept has recommended no travel to Mexico.  It didn’t seem to differentiate any particular Mexican States for this recommendation but did seem to focus mostly on the western/Baja area.  Not sure what this means, really…just be careful, I guess…

27 minutes ago, Gadget Hackwrench said:

Sorry, but that site has an extreme bias against the cruise industry.    No way I'm clicking that link.  

Cabo in two weeks on Navigator and Puerto Vallarta, Cabo, and Acapulco on the NCL Bliss Panama Canal cruise in December. NCL doesn't seem concerned with Acapulco even before all this unrest when the State Department has warned against visiting. I'll see what happens in Cabo and the other stops in Mexico.  I don't see this situation improving anytime soon.

On 8/13/2022 at 7:34 PM, twangster said:

Not a good weekend to be in Northern Baja.

https://ktla.com/news/nationworld/cartel-threatens-weekend-of-mass-violence-in-all-of-northern-baja/

The message in Spanish read: “Be warned. As of Friday at 10 p.m. through Sunday at 3 a.m. we’re going to create mayhem so the (expletive) government frees our people. We’re the Jalisco New Generation Cartel, we don’t want to hurt good people but it’s best they don’t go outside, we’re going to attack anyone we see on the streets on these days.”

This is fair enough warning in my opinion.