Did we miscalculate our testing day? 😲

1 hour ago, RCIfan1912 said:

We cruise on Oasis Sunday and all along were going for our test today, Friday. Isn't supposed to be 3 days? Should it have been Thursday? Did we mess up or are we ok? I just never gave it a thought and Friday was testing day? I hope we didn't mess up here, we are all fully vaccinated. 

Don't worry, it's WITHIN 3 days, not 3 days before... you can start breathing again! 😎

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/will-i-have-to-take-a-test-before-i-cruise#top

image.thumb.png.ec17edb89ac3def7c6b969e6c715835e.png

19 minutes ago, Ampurp85 said:

I personally don't understand why testing days are confusing. Because Royal mentions this in the FAQs.......plus there have been fifty-eleven post about this. The app says it, docs say it, etc. I know starting soon it will be a 3-day testing window but anything under that is fine.

I think people really just want to know the date. Much like the app tells you the date that check in opens, it would be cool if it had a line that said "earliest you can test" and then list the date.  We've gone through this several times and even now i second guess my test day.  It's just an extra step that could be made simpler and no one wants to show up at the port and be told "oops you were a day early on your testing", but people also don't want to travel all the way to the port and then test positive for thier pre-night stay.  

We recently did a quick 3 night cruse that left on a Friday which is far different than our normal cruises, plus we were driving, so we needed to plan ahead so that we had a hotel room for Wednesday night, but couldn;t book until after the test just in case we needed to cancel.  

47 minutes ago, Reigert2008 said:

Royal really needs to put a chart on the site that states if your cruise leaves on <this date> then the earliest you can test is <this date>  They literally could have done this on day one for the whole year and alleviate a lot of confusion for people. 

They had one before the changes.

Now just this 

"

When calculating which days you can take your test, be aware that the day you set sail is not counted as one of the days.

18 minutes ago, Reigert2008 said:

I think people really just want to know the date. Much like the app tells you the date that check in opens, it would be cool if it had a line that said "earliest you can test" and then list the date.  We've gone through this several times and even now i second guess my test day.  It's just an extra step that could be made simpler and no one wants to show up at the port and be told "oops you were a day early on your testing", but people also don't want to travel all the way to the port and then test positive for thier pre-night stay.  

We recently did a quick 3 night cruse that left on a Friday which is far different than our normal cruises, plus we were driving, so we needed to plan ahead so that we had a hotel room for Wednesday night, but couldn;t book until after the test just in case we needed to cancel.  

I mean I understand check-in having a date. But I thought 2/3 day is simple math. I guess I just don't see the point of a date, as it would confuse people more, because they would only focus on that date, instead of 2/3 days

I guess as a planner nothing is an "extra" anything for me. It is included in my planning. If I leave on a Sun: I am packing that Tues, testing starting with that Fri and flying and/or testing that Sat. I mark it myself that "Thur/Fri" is the earliest I can test. 

51 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

They had one before the changes.

Now just this 

"

When calculating which days you can take your test, be aware that the day you set sail is not counted as one of the days.

So you are saying if we sail on a SUNDAY, that is not one of the days? We need to test THUR, FRI or SAT?? I would've thought the Sunday was included in that 3 days prior to reading this!

24 minutes ago, Chimo2u said:

So you are saying if we sail on a SUNDAY, that is not one of the days? We need to test THUR, FRI or SAT?? I would've thought the Sunday was included in that 3 days prior to reading this!

The quote from the post above has the important phrase: "the three days before boarding day."  If you board/sail on Sunday, what are the 3 days BEFORE boarding day?  Thursday, Friday, and Saturday.

Now, the computer programmer in me hates that the larger quote includes "within" because it is ambiguous whether "within" = "less than" (which would be 0, 1, or 2 days before) or "within" = "less than or equal to" (which would be 0, 1, 2, or 3 days before).  They could change it to "during the three days before boarding day" which would clearly include the third day but then it implies you can't test on boarding day!  I think the best option would be to say "test no more than 3 days before boarding day" but negative logic also confuses people.  So maybe there's no short phrase that works.

Here's a similar issue I have with our local theater.  They give the run time of their shows in this format - "2 hours and 20 minutes with one 20 minute intermission".  Does that mean "plus one 20 minute intermission" or "including one 20 minute intermission".  It makes a difference when I want to make dinner reservations for after the show!