MDR - can I order "take out"

Cruisingmama

Yes and no - the MDR does not have to-go containers but they will give you a covered plate.  We often put in an order a cheese plate "to go" at the end of our dinner to go back and enjoy with a final glass of wine on the balcony.  NOTE: these suckers are not the easiest thing in the world to balance so be mindful of how much you'd be carrying.  Also you can carry out food from the Windjammer and even request the plate be wrapped in plastic, but same caution...

27 minutes ago, Ampurp85 said:

I would like to point out suite guest can order off the MDR menu for free, that doesn't mean you cannot call room service and pay the fee to get food delivered from the MDR.

Actually no, non-suites cannot order from the MDR menu, only the Room Service menu. (Unless they're in quarantine and then they can, plus it's free.)

I know everybody here is saying "No" but most likely because they haven't had any experience in trying to or in a situation where it possible.

As in my experience that isn't exactly true, but then again in my situation it might been diffrent or a very caring host but on our last cruises I had a really bad medical flare-up that prevented me from leaving the room that evening for dinner but I told my partner and kids to go ahead and go to MTD and i'd just order room service later if I got hungry.

But when they came back to the room they brought me back food from the main dining hall, How do I know this? Because it was Steak anyways she told the host I wasn't feeling good and asked if it was possible to order something for me for them to take back to the room and according to her they had no problem with that request they simply just got a room service tray and put the covered plate on the dish and they carried it back to the room.

Now like I said my expereince is diffrent than what's being asked and the fact that my family actually sat down and ate prior to bringing me back mine but you'll never actually know for sure unless you ask.

3 hours ago, Ampurp85 said:

@KristiZI stand corrected as I was thinking about people who were quarantined.

But on another note: OP question wasn't if they could get something like dessert or a cheese plate to-go. They did not want to be sat at all, and only order through the host. Which isn't feasible because they don't have containers. 

Yes, I was just looking at the menu and was wondering if I can order an appetizer and a main or a main and a dessert and enjoy it on the balcony without having to sit through dinner.

You can, although the host may prefer you order with your wait staff at the table. Each course is plated separately and will have a plastic room service cover. They don't have trays to use to carry it out, so you will have to be careful if balancing a couple plates. If you are careful in what you order, you can consolidate it yourself to a single plate to easily take it out of the dining room. Don't forget to take a silverware roll with you, too! 

16 minutes ago, AshleyDillo said:

You can, although the host may prefer you order with your wait staff at the table. Each course is plated separately and will have a plastic room service cover. They don't have trays to use to carry it out, so you will have to be careful if balancing a couple plates. If you are careful in what you order, you can consolidate it yourself to a single plate to easily take it out of the dining room. Don't forget to take a silverware roll with you, too! 

Thank you! 

47 minutes ago, AshleyDillo said:

In almost every instance the "Host" is going to have you wait to be seated and order through a waiter, who can provide all courses at once with the appopriate plasic covers for the plates.

3 hours ago, PeterGriffin said:

I know everybody here is saying "No" but most likely because they haven't had any experience in trying to or in a situation where it possible.

As in my experience that isn't exactly true, but then again in my situation it might been diffrent or a very caring host but on our last cruises I had a really bad medical flare-up that prevented me from leaving the room that evening for dinner but I told my partner and kids to go ahead and go to MTD and i'd just order room service later if I got hungry.

But when they came back to the room they brought me back food from the main dining hall, How do I know this? Because it was Steak anyways she told the host I wasn't feeling good and asked if it was possible to order something for me for them to take back to the room and according to her they had no problem with that request they simply just got a room service tray and put the covered plate on the dish and they carried it back to the room.

Now like I said my expereince is diffrent than what's being asked and the fact that my family actually sat down and ate prior to bringing me back mine but you'll never actually know for sure unless you ask.

We have had the same thing happen pre-Covid when feeling ill and the other one went to dinner alone.  The waiter insisted my wife order something for me to take back in case i felt like eating.

We did actually order from the host one time. Headed over after a show to see if others from our party were still there. They were not and I had a migraine starting so I was going to just go back to the room. The host insisted I order something and brought it out to me to take back to the room.

38 minutes ago, RafaellaCG said:

Could I bring my own box for leftovers? I eat really slowly and I usually box up half my meal to eat later in restaurants. Would this be too weird?

You could, but it may be easier to just keep them in your room and bring the plates with the covers back if you really want to take something. The MDR is pretty small portions. Also there isn't a true food safe fridge in the room, only a cooler.  That said, we do bring a couple of plastic containers and zip baggies in case we want to store anything..they come in handy for desserts and such.

• 1 year later...

We were on the Voyager in August and had no problem placing to go orders from the MDR.  Once they gave us a tray to carry the food on, but other times they gave us the covered plates.  As a note, the plates come from the kitchen covered before they're delivered to the tables, so it's not actually any additional work for the staff.  The covered plates stack well and are very stable when being carried.  We'd get MDR take out and eat in the pub.

On 8/12/2022 at 6:09 PM, CruiseGus said:

We have had the same thing happen pre-Covid when feeling ill and the other one went to dinner alone.  The waiter insisted my wife order something for me to take back in case i felt like eating.

Thanksgiving week 2022 on Anthem I was stuck in the room with 2 sea sick kids while my husband, parents, and the other 2 kids went to eat.  I gave my husband a list of what I wanted to eat and asked him to just bring it when he came back.  Imagine my surprise when our assistant waiter Miluten showed up at my door with all of my food, and some things for the kids to nibble on (because "it is too much for MrSleepy to have to balance!") (I saw him June 2024 on Liberty and he remembered me - "Sleepy425 with all the kids!!!"  And I know he wasn't making that up, because I didn't have all the kids with me that cruise.  That guy is fantastic!)

Definitely not a normal occurrence, but so appreciated. If you went to your table and just ordered a couple things and asked to take them to go I don't imagine they would give you an issue.  But too many of those plates with covers would be a challenge for you to carry.

1 hour ago, sleepy425 said:

Thanksgiving week 2022 on Anthem I was stuck in the room with 2 sea sick kids while my husband, parents, and the other 2 kids went to eat.  I gave my husband a list of what I wanted to eat and asked him to just bring it when he came back.  Imagine my surprise when our assistant waiter Miluten showed up at my door with all of my food, and some things for the kids to nibble on (because "it is too much for MrSleepy to have to balance!") (I saw him June 2024 on Liberty and he remembered me - "Sleepy425 with all the kids!!!"  And I know he wasn't making that up, because I didn't have all the kids with me that cruise.  That guy is fantastic!)

Definitely not a normal occurrence, but so appreciated. If you went to your table and just ordered a couple things and asked to take them to go I don't imagine they would give you an issue.  But too many of those plates with covers would be a challenge for you to carry.

What a sweet story !  That kind of love (from the crew) isn’t customer service - it is genuine love of his job and love for others.  ❤️❤️❤️❤️