Word of warning, Airlines are changing flights and sometimes dividing groups travelling together

steverk

I think everyone flying this year has received at least one notification that their flight has changed.  I've received dozens.

Generally, they aren't a big deal.  The plane leaves and arrives 10 minutes later and the like.

Unfortunately, this isn't always the case.  On at least 2 occasions, I've had them split my party between 2 different flights.  Since my mother in law is unable to fly alone, this can be a very big problem.

Sometimes they make the change and don't even send the email.

Word to the wise: verify your flights for every person in your party at least once per week leading up to your cruise!

1 hour ago, steverk said:

I think everyone flying this year has received at least one notification that their flight has changed.  I've received dozens.

Generally, they aren't a big deal.  The plane leaves and arrives 10 minutes later and the like.

Unfortunately, this isn't always the case.  On at least 2 occasions, I've had them split my party between 2 different flights.  Since my mother in law is unable to fly alone, this can be a very big problem.

Word to the wise: verify your flights for every person in your party at least once per week leading up to your cruise!

Flying is a nightmare. Long lines,delayed flights ,dirty toilets and no service.

I had a couple of flights just resent with my teenage daughter and they separated us . We weren’t very happy but the flight was booked solid.

3 hours ago, steverk said:

I love the emails we just received from Air2Sea, that essentially say our flights have changed but they can't tell us anything yet.  We are still over 2 months out, so they are giving priority to current travelers (which we support).  But I suspect one or more of our connecting flights has actually been cancelled.

7 hours ago, steverk said:

Was this through an airline or through Air2Sea? I’ve never used Air2Sea, so I’m not sure how that works.  If it was through the airline, was the entire party on the same confirmation number?  For Southwest, if you’re not on the same confirmation number then you don’t really count as a “traveling party”, so we’ve started making sure we’re always on the same confirmation number when flying with the  in laws just in case anything we’re to happen.

Edited by Reigert2008
Spelling

10 hours ago, Reigert2008 said:

Was this through an airline or through Air2Sea? I’ve never used Air2Sea, so I’m not sure how that works.  If it was through the airline, was the entire party on the same confirmation number?  For Southwest, if you’re not on the same confirmation number then you don’t really count as a “traveling party”, so we’ve started making sure we’re always on the same confirmation number when flying with the  in laws just in case anything we’re to happen.

These flights were through air2sea, but I don't think they're at fault. 

On my most recent episode,  my (adult) daughter was changed and given a new reservation number. Before this happened, we were in different cabins but had the same record locator with the airline. The agent at air2sea said we had the same record locator, but different reservation numbers.  Didn't make sense to me, but I guess it doesn't have to.

I've flown American,  delta and united. All of them have changed the flights. 

I  usually book through air2sea. Since they don't work with southwest,  I haven't flown with them lately.

Edited by steverk
fixed a typo

I posted something related to this topic in the Other Travel forum, under the heading American cancels 90,000 flights. 

A few weeks back American quietly announced they were cancelling 90,000 flights between August and the end of December.  It was a pretty long post I would suggest just going to the Other Travel forum and read the post in its entirety.  However that 90,000 flights equated to around 18,000 flights per month which is a staggering number in itself.  As if 18,000 flights weren't bad enough just 3 days ago American, Delta, Southwest, United, Frontier, JetBlue all announce more cuts this time to their November schedule, with American Airlines leading the way.  It was announced a few days go during the month of November American would now be canceling 28,607 total flights (that equates to around 953 daily flights American is pulling off their schedule),  Delta was cancelling an additional 4,396 flights (around 146 daily flights), United was canceling an additional 900 flights (30 daily flights). Southwest and the other carriers have not yet released hard numbers but they are also announced additional schedule reductions through the end of the year on top of what they already announced back in May or June of this year.  

My advise is even if you booked your airfare using Air2Sea or a TA if your flight is impacted know your rights over the past 7-8 years the DOT strengthen the passengers bill of rights. Know your rights as a passenger, be your biggest advocate, and download the airlines app.  I can not stress just how important it is to have the app on your phone.  As a result of covid, the shut down, social distancing airlines have really poured a lot of money into their apps making them much more user friendly and you will be surprised how much you yourself can accomplish on the app never having to actually speak to an agent. If you can't get it done on the app call the airline directly or many airlines either rolled out or enhanced their text to chat feature. 

1 hour ago, JasonOasis said:

I can not stress just how important it is to have the app on your phone.  As a result of covid, the shut down, social distancing airlines have really poured a lot of money into their apps making them much more user friendly and you will be surprised how much you yourself can accomplish on the app never having to actually speak to an agent.

This is 100% spot on.  Last year my family had an AA flight out of Chicago O'Hare cancelled.  I was notified of the cancelation via a push notification and was able to rebook using the app on my phone before the gate agents even knew (or at least announced) what was happening.  I was even able to pick out our seats and we never had to speak to anyone or wait in a line.  Even my checked bags made it!

10 hours ago, steverk said:

These flights were through air2sea, but I don't think they're at fault.

What one must remember when booking with air2sea is that they are a form of Consolidator, (BASIC DEF: Flight consolidators are brokers that book airline seats in bulk at discount rates and then resell them to travel agencies) so most of the reservation until almost 2-3 weeks before the flight are "Soft" reservations for the airline.  It is much like booking a Hotel through a 3rd party, this will be the first to be walked by the hotel.  Reservations direct with the company/airline will get accommodated better, especially when the airlines make the changes made further out.  Now I'm not saying there cannot be advantages to using air2sea, because there can be, I'm just saying know what you are getting.

I also wholeheartedly agree with @USCG Teacher  about getting the airline app and using it while waiting to board a flight.

6 hours ago, USCG Teacher said:

This is 100% spot on.  Last year my family had an AA flight out of Chicago O'Hare cancelled.  I was notified of the cancelation via a push notification and was able to rebook using the app on my phone before the gate agents even knew (or at least announced) what was happening.  I was even able to pick out our seats and we never had to speak to anyone or wait in a line.  Even my checked bags made it!

You are absolutely correct and I completely forgot to say turn on push notifications because with that feature enabled you get instant updates and can make changes to your own reservation without wasting time standing in line to speak with a customer service agent. 

I tell my family and friends this:  You are Wasting Time Standing in Line.  

If your flight is canceled on the day of departure the worst thing people do is run to the customer service line.  Get on the app and take care of it yourself because every flight that the agent can see is also on the app so while you are standing in line to speak with an agent the next flight, and the next, and the next are all being booked solid. By the time you get up to the counter the agent is like the earliest I can get you out confirmed is 4 days from now. 

On 8/12/2022 at 5:33 PM, JasonOasis said:

If your flight is canceled on the day of departure the worst thing people do is run to the customer service line.

I was amazed at how long the service center line was in Miami last winter when our flight was canceled at the last minute.  My wife jumped up to run with the mob (and it was a mob scene), and I grabbed her arm and asked her to sit down while I rebooked us on the next available flight via the app (turned out to be the next day).

The line for the American Airlines rebooking center went way down the terminal, almost to the baggage claim escalators.  It was insane, as were most of the people in the line.

On 8/11/2022 at 7:18 PM, ChessE4 said:

I love the emails we just received from Air2Sea, that essentially say our flights have changed but they can't tell us anything yet.  We are still over 2 months out, so they are giving priority to current travelers (which we support).  But I suspect one or more of our connecting flights has actually been cancelled.

We got a flight change from Air2Sea Thursday as well that went to our TA. It was for our return flight in Nov. our TA found out the change was on the connecting flight. Layover in Chicago went from 2 hours down to 25 minutes. Got him to book a different route, no way I trust everything working out with that short of layover

After reading the posts in this topic, I am fortunate to have booked a cruise terminal within driving distance from my home. I imagine the cruise ship companies are as frustrated as the passengers when they don't arrive on time for boarding or the baggage handlers lose their luggage. I wish all of you the best of fortune starting your vacations without incident.