White Pass Scenic RailWay Skagway!

Aneedels

We did the trip several years back and it was an all-day affair (as least all of the port time).  As BTB stated, you don't get to see much of the town.  The trip was great though and I would still recommend it. The reality is that these port stops in Alaska (at least the inside passage) are very small and most can be walked and seen in an hour or two.  IMHO, it is the outlying sights (whale watching, glacier hiking and the like) that make the stops memorable.  I don't remember the t-shirt/gift shop I visited in Ketchikan, but I do remember the float plane trip we went on.

On 8/18/2022 at 1:56 PM, FireFishII said:

I was also told to make sure you are on the left side of the train for the best views - if I remember that right.  But if I am wrong - maybe someone can correct me. 

Depends if the train does the loop or not. If it does the loop, then the side doesn’t matter. If no loop, yes you want the left side. No question

• 1 month later...
42 minutes ago, baltodave said:

We are taking Radiance to Alaska in June 2023.  When booking this excursion in Skagway, we have the choice of 8am or 12 noon.   We are scheduled to be in Skagway from 7am to 5pm.  Which excursion should we book (8a or 12noon)?

I would do the 8AM so you can relax after the excursion, walk around town, get lunch, etc. If you do the 12PM one but want to walk around town in the morning, you'll spend the whole morning checking your watch to make sure you don't miss the train.