inside vs. ocean view

mike

Good morning everyone! I was curious to hear your opinions on inside cabins vs. Ocean view ones. As the balcony prices are still way above what I will spend this trip, they are out of the question. However, currently a regular ocean view room is only 100 now more than a regular inside room. I'd love to hear your opinions on the ocean view room and whether it was worth it in your experience. I can see pros and cons with both (besides price).

I have done inside twice and ocean view once. The  oceanview room was a little bigger(i think this is normally the case) and it was nice to have a bit of a view.

That being said, its not a big deal for me really. $100 extra total for a week long cruise maybe I would. But I never spend alot of time in my room, so a window while nice, isn't worth alot extra based on my experiences so far.

I'm in agreement.  If it's $100 total not pp for a 7 night cruise go ahead.  $100 pp for a 4-5 night cruise I personally wouldn't do it.   Otherwise I have no problem with an inside and I've sailed everything from inside to junior suites.  In fact the last oceanview I booked was only about $25 more for a short cruise (4 night) and even then I only did it because there were almost a dozen balconies open a week before sailing and I was hoping for an upgrade, that never came.

I'd personally feel like I was in a closet in an interior room. If I couldn't get a balcony, I'd get an ocean view. However, my kids are usually in interior rooms and they like it. I think they sleep really well with no natural light in the room. Actually, I think they completely lose all sense of time. With an ocean view, you'd at least get some sun light, but it's what's important to you that matters.

I'm not big on oceanview rooms, but if I have a reasonable opportunity for an inexpensive upgrade, I'll take a Promenade cabin (on Voyager and Freedom class ships... not as likely on Oasis class, though - there I'd choose a Central Park or Boardwalk View cabin). My thinking is that if I'm going to have a window, I want to see something outside the window that isn't static. As nice as it is to have a view of the water or a port, it's not as interesting to me as people watching.

Now, if I've got a reasonable upgrade opportunity to get a balcony, then I'd choose that.

Agreed it depends on the price difference.  In most cases, the difference in square footage between inside and outside is negligible in my opinion.  

Granted it's nice to have a view with oceanview, but it really comes down to the price as well as how many people you're planning on fitting in a room.  Every square foot counts when you're considering 3-4 people.

Thanks everybody for the comments. Given its just the two of us, and the overall lack of substantial size increase, I think we'll just stick to our inside cabin. I'll just find a nice chair and chill on deck 4 when I want a good ocean view. Deck 4 is pretty close to private anyway when its a ghost town outside of coming to port :P .

agreed I have booked many promenade cabins as well because they have a window

with a view, just of the inside of the ship but still a view - if I'm doing a cruise that is short

I will save the money and book an inside- but also depends on the ship = ocean views

are nice if you want some natural light - otherwise save the money

• 4 weeks later...

We thought about the promenade rooms but decided to go with a plain interior room when we first booked mainly because we weren't sure how well the curtains blot out the interior. From photos of inside the cabin the curtains looked kinda weak.

Promenade cabins have two curtains, one sheer and one opaque. The opaque curtains, when closed, do an excellent job of closing off the window from light and from inadvertent views from outside.

We might have to try that next time then. My wife would probably get a kick outta the people watching at the very least.