Photographed Vaccine Card

Smeyers

Hi all, sorry if this question has been answered, but I never found anything definitive. The website states that a picture of the CDC vaccine card is sufficient proof of vaccination that they can "work with you to validate". Has anyone boarded lately with a picture of the card instead of the physical card (no, getting a new physical card is not an option right now) and can share their experience? Thanks!

I agree if you get a booster, they will give you a new card. If you have the information they will either write the previous info in or they can put the booster on the third line and you can put the other information in. I did this for my father because we did not bring his original card to the booster appointment. The nurse suggested combining it to one card when I got home so that is what I did. 

42 minutes ago, ChessE4 said:

No, but is getting a booster an option?  That would give you a new physical card, right?

I have been double boosted and they have just added the information to the extra lines on my existing card, so I did not get a separate or new card for the boosters.

On 8/11/2022 at 9:55 AM, FSUFAN said:

I have been double boosted and they have just added the information to the extra lines on my existing card, so I did not get a separate or new card for the boosters.

I think the thought process here was that if you went to get boosted without a card, you would get a new one.  I got a second card for my 2nd booster because they ran out of space on my original card.  I got my original shot at a "Mega-Center," and the stickers were so huge that they covered two lines.

6 hours ago, ShugrGrl55 said:

I'm not recommending you plan for this to be the case for you, but found it interesting that we were not even asked to show our physical vaccine cards at boarding. 🤷‍♀️ 

I'm hearing this more and more.  As a point of contrast, since I was traveling with kids we had to show our cards twice before boarding at Cape Liberty; once for my kids to get their vaccinated stickers before even entering the terminal, then again at the registration terminal.  Seems that, as per usual, YMMV!

On 8/11/2022 at 12:33 AM, SSCruiser said:

Hi all, sorry if this question has been answered, but I never found anything definitive. The website states that a picture of the CDC vaccine card is sufficient proof of vaccination that they can "work with you to validate". Has anyone boarded lately with a picture of the card instead of the physical card (no, getting a new physical card is not an option right now) and can share their experience? Thanks!

I started this same thread a few weeks ago before my cruise.  I was never asked to show my card at any time.  The picture i uploaded on the app was all they needed.  It could all depend on whoever checks you in but I wouldn’t worry if you have the picture and it all matches your other documents.  

Don’t listen to the people who tell you they demand a physical card,  those same posters said that to me and it was not true.

9 minutes ago, Mikei31 said:

I started this same thread a few weeks ago before my cruise.  I was never asked to show my card at any time.  The picture i uploaded on the app was all they needed.  It could all depend on whoever checks you in but I wouldn’t worry if you have the picture and it all matches your other documents.  

Don’t listen to the people who tell you they demand a physical card,  those same posters said that to me and it was not true.

Thank you! Without a possibility of getting a new one, it was very stressful to not get any definite answer, so I really appreciate your comment about your experience.

4 hours ago, Mikei31 said:

In the beginning before all the changes, you would have been denied boarding without the physical card. So it wasn't that it was not true, it just wasn't applicable in your situation.

At Port Canaveral in June, we were asked for the card.  We didn't attempt to show a copy from our phone. 

P.S. We bought passport holders that have the vaccine card next to the passport.  So we can't just lose the vaccine card.  Keeping them together and locked up gives us some security regardless of future policy changes. 

Going back prior to cruises restarting I was visiting Canada.  At the time you had to show your proof of vaccination to enter a restaurant in Canada.

This included fast food restaurants.  I found myself handing over my coveted and hard to replace CDC card to a teenager whose primary job was making french fries.  The floors were wet with slush being tracked in from the snow outside.  I sensed impending doom and imagined the french fry dude dropping my coveted CDC card in the slush.  

I used a color copier to duplicate my CDC card.  It's almost B&W but the color copy did a good job copying the slight hint of color my original CDC card has.  My copier can do two sided so I aligned it perfectly and have a paper copy of my CDC card that appears to be original except for the feel of the paper.  

I discovered a leftover cruise card lanyard with a plastic pouch style card holder was the exact size of the CDC card.  I have my original CDC card in one and my near perfect copy of my CDC card in another.  They look identical and I carry both as I travel.  I use the original for official travel purposes (boarding a cruise, crossing a border) but I take the copy off the ship for use when I might encounter french fry dude at a private establishment.   

No port or border official has ever asked me to remove the card from the clear plastic pouch so I am confident I could probably get away with using the copy for everything but I haven't tried.  

5 hours ago, Mikei31 said:

And as you have found, experiences may vary.  You had your card and didn’t have to show it.  Imagine how different your experience would have been if you DIDNT have your card and HAD to show it.  

10 minutes ago, Pooch said:

And as you have found, experiences may vary.  You had your card and didn’t have to show it.  Imagine how different your experience would have been if you DIDNT have your card and HAD to show it.  

So far I haven't heard of anyone not being allowed to board because they used a photocopy and didn't have the physical card. Everyone sharing their experience is either saying they used their physical card or they used a photocopy or picture and were allowed on. Those seem to be the only experiences.

Well it was definitely reported when I sailed in March.  I expect this will soon be a MOOT (not mute) point but do you want to be the one standing in front of an overzealous terminal worker?  Why, if you have the physical card, would you take even the smallest chance?  My card is in my passport holder and will be accompanied by a printed copy of my negative test results and Set Sail Pass.  I will fly through the check in process because I have all my ducks in a row.  You do you.

On 8/13/2022 at 7:04 AM, USCG Teacher said:

I'm hearing this more and more.  As a point of contrast, since I was traveling with kids we had to show our cards twice before boarding at Cape Liberty; once for my kids to get their vaccinated stickers before even entering the terminal, then again at the registration terminal.  Seems that, as per usual, YMMV!

Definitely YMMV, because we were traveling with a child too! And were still never asked. 

On 8/14/2022 at 7:42 AM, ChessE4 said:

At Port Canaveral in June, we were asked for the card.  We didn't attempt to show a copy from our phone. 

P.S. We bought passport holders that have the vaccine card next to the passport.  So we can't just lose the vaccine card.  Keeping them together and locked up gives us some security regardless of future policy changes. 

I am considering getting a holder for passport and vaccine cards.  Do they make you take it all out of the holder? I do not want to hold up the line and afraid they will not give it back to me in all the commotion of checking in with 6000 of my closest friends. Lol 

I have also misplaced my card and have a photocopy. As a back up I was able to get a document from the department of health from the state I live in (PA) that I have indeed been vaccinated, the date, place, etc. I think most states should be able to provide you with a similar document.

On 8/20/2022 at 3:11 PM, Pooch said:

We have clear plastic holders, passport page visible on one side, vax card on the other.  No need to remove them.

I would add that ours is in a plastic holder also, and NO ONE has ever turned it over to view the back side, i imagine if your willing to take the risk a photo copy in an "Amazon" plastic holder would work.

With the new protocols does any of this matter????

5 hours ago, CruiseGus said:

With the new protocols does any of this matter????

Vax don't need to test for cruises less than 10 nights. 

You don't have to provide your vax information but refusing to provide your vax documents means you'll need to provide a negative test result.   

Your choice.

9 minutes ago, twangster said:

Vax don't need to test for cruises less than 10 nights. 

You don't have to provide your vax information but refusing to provide your vax documents means you'll need to provide a negative test result.   

This is only starting September 5. Also you're not answering the question of the post in the slightest. Thank you for trying though

32 minutes ago, Smeyers said:

This is only starting September 5. Also you're not answering the question of the post in the slightest. Thank you for trying though

The person I quoted referenced the new rules which begin Sept. 5.  My post quoted a specific question by another user so that it what my post addressed.  That's kind of how internet message boards work. 

Since you seem to desire this thread to be exclusive to just you I'll leave it now.  You can also use the ignore feature to avoid seeing posts from users like I am have now done.  Hover over my avatar and follow the pop up "ignore" button.

You are welcome, buh-bye.  

image.thumb.jpeg.5566e547716b4ad186b2dd89818a97e2.jpeg

10 minutes ago, twangster said:

The person I quoted referenced the new rules which begin Sept. 5.  My post quoted a specific question by another user so that it what my post addressed.  That's kind of how internet message boards work. 

Since you seem to desire this thread to be exclusive to just you I'll leave it now.  You can also use the ignore feature to avoid seeing posts from users like I am have now done.

You are welcome, buh-bye.  

Sorry I actually didn't see that you had quoted a different comment. I am sorry for my reply to you.