1st time cruiser - Liberty of the Seas - Sept 11

Salca

@Salca definitely watch videos that Matt suggested. They will help you with some general tips. I would also see if you can find a video on YouTube about the cruise planner specifically when it come to the drinks packages and dining packages. Other videos I would watch is about how to pack for your cruise on YouTube. There are a lot of great videos with awesome insight. One suggestion I have since this is your first cruise is also watch videos about the LIberty OTS on youtube with your family so that everyone can identify things they want to do onboard. I think your family should have a fun experience. Happy sailing! 

15 hours ago, Salca said:

We are traveling for the first time ever on a cruise. We are a family of 7, kids ages 17, 13, 12, 10 and 8. 
if anyone can give us tips on what to do or not to do?

our ports of call are Costa Maya, Roatan, Belize and Cozumel. 

thanks in advance. 

We just did this cruise with our teens 14,15 & 16.  It was our teens 1st time cruising.  Both the teens and adults had the best vacation ever.  You should pack bathing suits in your carry ons to use the 1 st day when you board.  You can do the pool, waterslides, and flow rider the 1st day, when there are no crowds.  We ate dinner ever night in the main dining room as a family at 5pm.  It might sound early, but that frees you up in the evening to do the shows.  I emailed rcldining@rccl.com 2 weeks before coming and requested a table by the window.  That makes your view while dining extra special.  I would highly recommend booking an excursion w/ Daniel Johnson's monkey and sloth hangout, if you don't already have one planned for Roatan.  Our family cannot say enough wonderful things about how this man runs his business.  You can hold sloths, monkeys, macaws, snorkel and go to the coolest iguana farm all for about $55 a person.  We book this one directly through their website instead of with Royal Caribbean because you get to do more.

An alternative to Daniel Johnson’s excursion in Roatan are the those by Victor Bodden (independent shore excursions.) We have booked with him 3 times - the first 2, we had our then-teenage son with us, and he did the Zip & Dip tour, which included zip lining in a cool jungle environment, seeing the monkeys and macaws, and a ride to and from Bananarama, a beach and restaurant complex on the West End. Son was 16 the first time, then 17 the second time. The Zip happened at Bodden’s own Monkey Business complex. Hubby and I skipped the Zip, but we did everything else. 

Our third visit was last December. Our son is working in another state now, so it was just hubby and myself. We returned to Victor Bodden’s, and now we were also able to be hugged by a sloth, besides seeing the monkeys and birds. We were supposed to go to Bananarama and everyone else on the bus did go, but the driver kindly dropped us off near the cruise terminal (we just didn’t want to go to  the beach and it had been raining steadily anyway.)

Looking at his current website, it appears that he is still in business. Although we reserved online all 3 times  (and paid cash upon arrival) I am not sure if things have changed since last December. I recall that one could also book by simply walking up to their kiosk at the cruise terminal. 

6 hours ago, need2cruz said:

I would highly recommend booking an excursion w/ Daniel Johnson's monkey and sloth hangout, if you don't already have one planned for Roatan.  Our family cannot say enough wonderful things about how this man runs his business.  You can hold sloths, monkeys, macaws, snorkel and go to the coolest iguana farm all for about $55 a person.  We book this one directly through their website instead of with Royal Caribbean because you get to do more.

@need2cruz Which excursion is this? I looked through all of them on his website and I can't find one that goes to the iguana farm. This sounds fun.

19 hours ago, jupiter03 said:

@need2cruz Which excursion is this? I looked through all of them on his website and I can't find one that goes to the iguana farm. This sounds fun.

The iguana place is an add-on that is $10/per person to any other booked excursion.  We booked Monkey-snorkeling.  You will 1st hold the sloths, monkeys and macaws.  Then, Daniel Johnson is usually the captain of your boat to take you out snorkeling.  Yes, the actual owner is the boat captain.  Everyone working at his establishment is his family or very close friends.  Not only is Roatan mine and my husband's favorite island in the Caribbean, Daniel Johnson is our favorite person.  We specifically looked for a family cruise to take our boys to Roatan to meet Daniel Johnson and his family.

Liberty is a fun ship for all the family with the water slides, Flow Rider, climbing wall and other activities. The clubs for the kids are great and they have nice shows and things to do for all.

Roatan is a fantastic place to snorkel as the reef in most locations is right off the beach. There are many options and as you can see loyal customers. We have a couple of places we enjoy but the island is our favorite by far.

Belize has tours you can take and we have been to the zoo, howler monkeys, and cave tubing which we really enjoyed.

Costa Maya is next to a fishing village and if you are willing to have some travel time on your excursion there are great Mayan ruins and caves to explore. Near the port there is a beach strip (not really much of a beach) with several "clubs" that you can get seating, drinks and food. The Krazy Lobster is probably the least expensive and is really nice although we go to Maya Chan (you book it yourself) as it is restricted in numbers and is all inclusive including transportation. The only drawback is it is in a nature area and if you want pristine beach and water it is not really for you. We love it as the service is impeccable and the folks there are incredible.

Cozumel has many, many options and you can look to see what your family wants to do and go from there.