Civitavecchia Port to Vatican - can it be done ?

Hi guys. Looking at doing this tomorrow a couple told us it’s more hassle than it’s worth and to enjoy Civitavecchia

anyone done it independently , ship docks at 715am then bud from ship to port then onwards ?

Yes or no ? 

i can prebook fast pass to Vatican but can’t prebook train as don’t know how soon get to station 

"Worth" is a very subjective thing. To me, it looks pretty easy, though I have never done it myself. And as someone who is very much not Catholic, I will say that I have absolutely enjoyed visiting the Vatican for the history aspect alone. But, I have only gone during off season when the crowds and heat were fairly low...during the busy summer season might make it less "worth it" to me personally. 

Purely going off of Google Maps, it looks like about a 15-20 minute walk from port to train station, then an approximately one hour train ride to Rome San Pietro station, then about a 25 minute walk. I would do it, as it seems worth it to me, but it also depends on someone being able bodied and being okay with doing some decently long walks, possibly in heat. So, only you can determine if that's for you or not. 

31 minutes ago, Zacharius said:

"Worth" is a very subjective thing. To me, it looks pretty easy, though I have never done it myself. And as someone who is very much not Catholic, I will say that I have absolutely enjoyed visiting the Vatican for the history aspect alone. But, I have only gone during off season when the crowds and heat were fairly low...during the busy summer season might make it less "worth it" to me personally. 

Purely going off of Google Maps, it looks like about a 15-20 minute walk from port to train station, then an approximately one hour train ride to Rome San Pietro station, then about a 25 minute walk. I would do it, as it seems worth it to me, but it also depends on someone being able bodied and being okay with doing some decently long walks, possibly in heat. So, only you can determine if that's for you or not. 

We are able bodied , it’s more a case of arriving in time and doing something.  Today wanted to go to Pisa.  Missed train and next one was 2 hours away so patched it 

tbh I am not religious ,   Seems you get off ship then bused to port then you need to get to station.

other option was Santa marinella which   isn’t far.      

Our cruise ended in Civitavecchia. We took this shuttle into Rome. It was perfect. The cruiseline shuttle will take you to a bus station and from there you will get a shuttle to the train station or this shuttle directly into Rome. From the drop down menu choose Vaticano and it will drop you off within walking distance. No need to go to Termini if you are just doing the Vatican. Although we were staying in Rome, there were several people you were taking it for their day trip into Rome from another cruise line.

https://www.sitbusshuttle.com/en/#transfer-civ

4 hours ago, Machae said:

Our cruise ended in Civitavecchia. We took this shuttle into Rome. It was perfect. The cruiseline shuttle will take you to a bus station and from there you will get a shuttle to the train station or this shuttle directly into Rome. From the drop down menu choose Vaticano and it will drop you off within walking distance. No need to go to Termini if you are just doing the Vatican. Although we were staying in Rome, there were several people you were taking it for their day trip into Rome from another cruise line.

https://www.sitbusshuttle.com/en/#transfer-civ

I like the idea however one bud there and one back doesn’t leave any Lea way if something was to go wrong.      Loads of trains going.  

would rather get there and straight back and spend more time local 

FDE48DE7-1A26-429F-AE8F-0A46B9B055EE.png

10 hours ago, ChessE4 said:

Doesn't Royal offer an excursion via train?  It's listed on our trip in October.

Yes, the prices are over the top ridiculous though.  GBP 200 for 2 adults 1 child, baby in lap for the RC excursion, versus EUR 25 for four first class return tickets on the fast train, reserved seats.  We'll find our own way to the train station for that.

2 hours ago, berkeleykel said:

Yes, the prices are over the top ridiculous though.  GBP 200 for 2 adults 1 child, baby in lap for the RC excursion, versus EUR 25 for four first class return tickets on the fast train, reserved seats.  We'll find our own way to the train station for that.

I suppose if there’s an issue on the return you could opt for a taxi, if they are running. I understand the pricing on the excursions is very high.  We just completed a European cruise (via Celebrity-not my choice, we joined friends) and on one of our excursions we hit traffic and were last (late) back to the ship in Montenegro. It’s a tender port, so late for the last tender plus the additional time to get to the ship.  They had to wait for us.  There was another port where a lively young couple, on a tight budget, took a train to their destination (I don’t think it was Rome) and their return train was cancelled, so they had a $200 cab ride back to the port.  I had friends traveling in Italy and they were hit with random taxi strikes.  It’s great when it runs smoothly, it’s the unforeseen issues that can ruin the day.

I built in a few hours to spare in case we have train troubles and will keep an eye on how the trains are running throughout the day.  But even if we end up needing to taxi back we would probably still break even on the RC excursion price.  And if we experience a cataclysmic meltdown presumably so will the RC tour groups so boat may have to wait anyway. 

Couple notes: if you can catch a shuttle between the ship and the train station it's a good idea as the port is pretty industrial - a 20 minute walk is a good assumption but much of it is not a pedestrian-friendly area.  The trains are terrific and a cab between Termini Station and the Vatican shouldn't be more than $15-$20 each way. The tricky part is getting back.... give yourself time. If you miss the train it's about $120 for the cab and takes a lot longer than the train.  Finally, if you're running late from the Civi train station there should be taxis for about $10 to drive you direct to the ship.