Email from RCCL has me confused about Aircan

So I know I need to use Aircan.  We are flying into Toronto with connecting flight to Vancouver.

We are staying in Vancouver the day before the cruise.

I got an email from RCCL that said to use aircan for the flight in (Check, all done and setup)

And then the email said to create another application while still at the airport for when I arrive at the pier to get on the ship....but that doesn't make any sense...I am leaving Canada.  I figured I would need to complete it again for when we return in a week...but the email said I needed to complete it again to get on the ship???

11 minutes ago, dodgestang said:

I figured I would need to complete it again for when we return in a week...but the email said I needed to complete it again to get on the ship???

You are completing it before you get on the ship to cover your return to Canada while you are on the ship.

Here is the exact text......

ArriveCAN

All guests – including Canadians – will need to complete the mandatory ArriveCAN travel information form prior to arriving at the cruise terminal. Guests, or their legal guardians, can complete the form for free at the ArriveCAN website here or via their app available in the AppStore or on Google Play. This form needs to be completed before boarding, and we highly recommend completing this at home since Wi-Fi connection in the terminal isn’t dependable. Once complete, please print or show the QR code generated by the form during boarding.

Guests Flying into Canada only:

If you’re flying into Canada, you’ll need to complete one ArriveCAN form for entry into the country and then a new form prior to boarding your cruise. We highly recommend downloading the ArriveCAN app so you can complete your second form in the airport after clearing Canadian Customs and before heading to the cruise terminal. [/quote}

10 minutes ago, teddy said:

So it looks like they don’t care about returning in 7 days. 🤷‍♂️

Try getting back into Canada without it ;).  You are arriving by sea the second time.  Still makes no sense to have to fill it out a second time...I am no longer arriving at that point...I am departing.  Government Bureaucracy at work and just another chance to be 'randomly selected' and have your plans all toss into turmoil.

It's not explicit but implied that the testing prior to boarding the cruise ship suffices for getting back off it. Probably done for simplicity given potential issues with submitting from the ship.  The excerpt below says 72 hours before boarding a cruise ship destined for Canada; doesn't say the cruise ship needs to arrive to Canada in the 72 hour window.  Doesn't make much sense to have a second prong if the first prong overruled it.

Who needs to use ArriveCAN

All travellers, with limited exceptions, whether entering Canada by air, land, rail or marine vessel, must use ArriveCAN unless you're exempt from this requirement due to an accessibility need.

You'll need to submit your information within 72 hours:

• before your arrival in Canada
  • and/or before boarding a cruise ship destined for Canada

1 hour ago, dodgestang said:

You can only complete it 3 days ahead of time ;).....and its a 7 night sailing 😉

That's true for arriving into Canada by plane or car but when arriving by cruise ship you can enter your application 3 days before the cruise departs from the origin city.  

There is a different process when boarding a cruise ship that visits Canada during the cruise or returns to Canada after the cruise.