Discover Cape Cod Excursion Canceled

We just heard yesterday that our 9 hr Discover Cape Cod Excursion was canceled for the September 1 sailing. No explanations given, our planner had no idea, shorex@ hasn't gotten back, customer service didn't have information, DMed on Twitter but no reply, doesn't seem like they're replacing it with anything but who knows. 

We've never had this happen with other cruise lines, I've checked with friends and ditto, any information or suggestions welcome. 

56 minutes ago, Pooch said:

Where are you porting that would have Cape Cod as an excursion?

I wondered this as well. 

The Cape is beautiful, but can be a long drive from (and back to) downtown Boston when the traffic is bad.   Our middle son and his family live there.  Driving times are a crapshoot.  

Perhaps that's why it was cancelled.  The Cape on any summer week is bad enough, but that's Labor Day weekend.  The excursion is unlikely to get very far onto the Cape before it has to turn around and head back to the port.  They might make it to Hyannis, can't see it getting much further.

4 hours ago, Clarabeara said:

We just heard yesterday that our 9 hr Discover Cape Cod Excursion was canceled for the September 1 sailing. No explanations given, our planner had no idea, shorex@ hasn't gotten back, customer service didn't have information, DMed on Twitter but no reply, doesn't seem like they're replacing it with anything but who knows. 

We've never had this happen with other cruise lines, I've checked with friends and ditto, any information or suggestions welcome. 

Are you on the Adventure of the Seas September 1st sailing?  I have a coworker who is going on that same cruise to Canada and New England as others have pointed out that is holiday weekend (Labor Day).  Although I don't live in Boston or New England but I'm going to go out on a limb and say like here in Chicago Labor Day weekend is probably their unofficial end to summer.  It is their last chance to really draw in massive crowds. After Labor Day weekend I imagine like here in Chicago things start to go down hill as tourist numbers start to drop off. 

Could it be that either Royal or the tour operator canceled the excursion because of expected crowds and drive times that would eat up a significant amount of time dedicated to the actual excursion itself?  Cape Cod is definitely a popular destination I recommend you visit but not during your cruise, because you will want to spend a lot more time on Cape Cod than what the excursion has time for.   

3 hours ago, PatsFanBrian said:

Perhaps that's why it was cancelled.  The Cape on any summer week is bad enough, but that's Labor Day weekend.  The excursion is unlikely to get very far onto the Cape before it has to turn around and head back to the port.  They might make it to Hyannis, can't see it getting much further.

Fourth of July weekend, what is normally a 40 minute ride home from Cape Cod took close to three hours for my daughter. 

I know it seems disappointing but traffic is not the best excursion! Hopefully you find something else closer to port that you’d enjoy!