Enchantment of the seas is it any good?

AshReaney

Hi all 😊 

Were in need of some advice if anyone can point us in the right direction ... were 1st time cruisers (aniversary cruise for us) so not quite sure what to do at the moment. Like others weve been affected by the recent ship movements.

We were originally booked in a grand suite (my other 1/2 is particular on bathrooms so had to be a suite 🤣) on the Brilliance sailing round the greek isles in early Aug 23 (start Rome, end Athens) Which we were super excited about! We were looking forward to everything, the ports being perfect, trying all the speciality restraunts, playing a round of mini golf on sea days, the perks that the suite gave us on the ship etc

But now its changed to the Enchantment were struggling to find that same feeling. The ports havent changed and were still in a grand suite but it doesnt really seem worth it for the same cost as the Brilliance. Only 1 speciality restaraunt, a lot less to do on ship, a lot less food choices, less entertainment, doesnt seem to be any perks for the suite etc

Were just wondering are we better off cutting our losses and switching to the Odyssey in a Junior Suite? (cant afford the grand on that ship) both basically have the same port stops (minus Athens) and it would be £1100 cheaper than what were currently paying for the Enchantment. 

Basically is the Enchantment and the perks that come with a grand suite on it worth it? Any help would be amazing were feeling pretty lost atm & appologies for the length.

Many thanks

Ash

Welcome to the boards!

Honestly, I'd probably stick with Enchantment. I know you'll get a lot of people telling you to make the switch, but in my opinion the suite benefits will be quite nice for your anniversary. You're going to be doing a lot of ports on that itinerary so you won't have as much time to enjoy the ship anyway. While there is only one specialty restaurant, you can take advantage of MDR room service and dine together on your balcony for an intimate experience. And don't forget you can still do Taste of Royal and Chef's Table, which are "dining experiences" similar to specialty dining.

I recently sailed Enchantment for the first time and I was feeling the same way you are -- underwhelmed by the thought. But we ended up enjoying her!

I don't think the suite perks are any different between Brilliance and Enchantment.  The Oasis and Quantum ship classes have better suite programs but I thought the rest of the fleet had the same benefits.

Yes Enchantment is a tad older (5 years) with a few less dining options but it was my first cruise and I felt like there was always something to do.

We've been on many cruises in Grand Suites including the Enchantment and the Allure.  I personally like the Enchantment for it's old cruise feeling  for an older cruiser.  I've never been in a bad GS and the perks are the same.  I would stay and enjoy the Greek Isles which we will be enjoying next June aboard the Odyssey.

Bill

We loved Enchantment - yes, she is a little rusty and aging (salt water will do that) but we loved the ship, the staff was a blast, and overall we enjoyed the smaller ship. It felt more intimate and I liked the layout. I am not sure who the cruise director is now, but we just loved Bobby and we sailed her twice with him as CD. Plus, a Grand Suite is going to be lovely. 

We did Enchantment earlier this year and I would switch ships in a heartbeat!  The boat is in need of refurbishing. There where two days when we had no hot water to shower before dinner.

The Grand suite is nothing spectacular and the ship has literally nothing to do other than karaoke and games that are played at children's birthday parties.  It was our 3rd time on Enchantment and my husband was emphatic that we are done with that boat.

I can't speak about suites, but the Enchantment Centrum is kind of neat.  We sailed many Vision Class cruises, including Enchantment and Grandeur.  You certainly don't need to walk miles to get to your desired venues, as on larger ships.  I am a real fan of the Royal Caribbean Singers and Dancers, so I prefer non-Oasis classes. 

Enchantment of the Seas | Cruise Ships | Royal Caribbean Cruises

Thanks for the warm welcome & advice guys 😊 its greatly appreciated we only have a week to decide what to do so were really feeling pressured. Was feeling really content with the Brilliance as there seemed to be a good entertainment/food/activities variety. 😮💨

Is there enough entertainment/activities to keep you going on the smaller ship, ive read a few old cruise compass's for the ship and they seem a little sparce?

Are the offered RC shore excursions on a smaller ship the same as on a larger vessel? Or does the Odyssey have a larger choice with there been 3 times as many guests? Etc 

Were a very active couple so im worried well get a little bored if there isnt much to do or try on the Enchantment. 

Once again thanks all for all your help. It is really helping disprese some stress 🙂 many thanks

I did the Greek isles on Rhapsody, another Vision class ship, in a GS and liked it a lot.  You really get to know the crew and fellow passengers and I loved the shows in the Centrum.  That being said, if your GS is right below the pool deck like ours was, we had a lot of noise bleed through.  The suite benefits are also not really that noticeable.  I'd probably take JS on Odyssey just for the cheaper fare unless Athens is worth that price to you, in which case I'm sure you'll have a lovely time on Enchantment.

7 hours ago, AshReaney said:

Thanks for the warm welcome & advice guys 😊 its greatly appreciated we only have a week to decide what to do so were really feeling pressured. Was feeling really content with the Brilliance as there seemed to be a good entertainment/food/activities variety. 😮💨

Is there enough entertainment/activities to keep you going on the smaller ship, ive read a few old cruise compass's for the ship and they seem a little sparce?

Are the offered RC shore excursions on a smaller ship the same as on a larger vessel? Or does the Odyssey have a larger choice with there been 3 times as many guests? Etc 

Were a very active couple so im worried well get a little bored if there isnt much to do or try on the Enchantment. 

Once again thanks all for all your help. It is really helping disprese some stress 🙂 many thanks

We completed a cruise on Enchantment at the end of June (6 night to Bermuda). We were also booked on Mediterranean cruises next summer on Brilliance - when the change in ships was announced, we cancelled. Some of what we experienced on Enchantment is likely due to pandemic constraints, but it was bad enough that there was basically no debate about cancelling. We were in a 2BR grand suite on Enchantment, by the way, had the 2BR owner's suite booked B2B on Brilliance (that room type isn't available on Enchantment, either, they would have had to downgrade us). We've received our first refund, just waiting on our second.

8 hours ago, AshReaney said:

You don't have to worry about this -- shore excursions will be the same options on both

23 hours ago, Tmsmith said:

We did Enchantment earlier this year and I would switch ships in a heartbeat!  The boat is in need of refurbishing. There where two days when we had no hot water to shower before dinner.

The Grand suite is nothing spectacular and the ship has literally nothing to do other than karaoke and games that are played at children's birthday parties.  It was our 3rd time on Enchantment and my husband was emphatic that we are done with that boat.

I've sailed the Enchantment twice this year (12 night Southern Caribbean and 9 night Bermuda/Bahamas). I'm sailing again in October. 

@Tmsmith is right on. If you want activities to do, you will be very disappointed sailing the Enchantment. I actually cruise to do nothing and rest. I read, play games and do puzzles. I love hanging out on the outdoor pool deck and by the indoor Solarium pool. I don't eat Specialty restaurants. So... the Enchantment is perfect for my wife and I, plus usually cheaper.

Cruising is all about expectations and what you personally want to experience.

Stick to Enchantment for Greek Isles. I prefer small ships for most of Europe because you spend most of your time off exploring. Less people to compete with to get off the ship especially in Santorini with tenders. Save Odyssey for a less busy itinerary where you can enjoy the ship amenities and have more sea days. The smaller ships tend to have less kids as well and a more intimate experience. The crew really gets to know you on the small ones.

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/11/2022 at 2:55 PM, Poolside said:

I've sailed the Enchantment twice this year (12 night Southern Caribbean and 9 night Bermuda/Bahamas). I'm sailing again in October. 

@Tmsmith is right on. If you want activities to do, you will be very disappointed sailing the Enchantment. I actually cruise to do nothing and rest. I read, play games and do puzzles. I love hanging out on the outdoor pool deck and by the indoor Solarium pool. I don't eat Specialty restaurants. So... the Enchantment is perfect for my wife and I, plus usually cheaper.

Cruising is all about expectations and what you personally want to experience.

How did you like the 12 night Southern Caribbean cruise? I am considering it, but not sure if too long for that ship. I don’t mind doing nothing for a bit, but need some entertainment and things to do. Do they have a thermal suite or something similar? Thank you!!

4 hours ago, Adriana said:

How did you like the 12 night Southern Caribbean cruise? I am considering it, but not sure if too long for that ship. I don’t mind doing nothing for a bit, but need some entertainment and things to do. Do they have a thermal suite or something similar? Thank you!!

We loved the 12 night Southern Caribbean itinerary. The ports are great. Southern Caribbean is fabulous for weather. For the 5 ports, we island hop. We travel at night while we sleep and are in a new port every day. 

No thermal suite on Enchantment.

If you can enjoy 6 sea days (3 down, 3 back) with limited activities, you will love the ports.

3 hours ago, Poolside said:

We loved the 12 night Southern Caribbean itinerary. The ports are great. Southern Caribbean is fabulous for weather. For the 5 ports, we island hop. We travel at night while we sleep and are in a new port every day. 

No thermal suite on Enchantment.

If you can enjoy 6 sea days (3 down, 3 back) with limited activities, you will love the ports.

Thank you so much! The longest cruise I have done is a 9 night to NE and Canada on Anthem (loooved it). I am hesitant about days 1-4 at sea and then again on the way back, particularly because of the size. Did you feel motion sickness? Right now, I can get an inside cabin (not thrilled about that, but gosh, the price) for a bit over $1K, so that is pretty amazing. I just do not know if just lounging around will be enough. I hear the crew is fantastic and the food is good. If I was traveling with someone else, I would do it. I can entertain myself, but twelve days is a long time…and over Thanksgiving. Ugh, so torn! … Thank you for the feedback! 

My first cruise and honestly the service was incredible, this was a few years back.

What I did learn is that the service excels on these smaller ships due to less overall capacity. After Enchantment I did independence which we loved but felt the difference in service, not bad by any means but there was minor, noticeable difference.

If its port intensive, would recommend. 

Also def felt the ship we were on deck 2 though haha

On 9/5/2022 at 9:27 AM, Adriana said:

Thank you so much! The longest cruise I have done is a 9 night to NE and Canada on Anthem (loooved it). I am hesitant about days 1-4 at sea and then again on the way back, particularly because of the size. Did you feel motion sickness? Right now, I can get an inside cabin (not thrilled about that, but gosh, the price) for a bit over $1K, so that is pretty amazing. I just do not know if just lounging around will be enough. I hear the crew is fantastic and the food is good. If I was traveling with someone else, I would do it. I can entertain myself, but twelve days is a long time…and over Thanksgiving. Ugh, so torn! … Thank you for the feedback! 

On Enchantment, you will definitely feel the ship moving. Usually it's minimal. Sometimes, it's a lot. It is rarely nothing.

Enjoy whatever cruise you go on.