Overbooking

20 minutes ago, SpeedNoodles said:

What do you mean it's overbooked.  Who told you it was overbooked?  They really don't operate like airlines and I've never heard of a cruise being overbooked.

Actually they have sometimes.  It's rare but not a "never before" thing. 

We'd need more details to understand if it truly an overbooking situation or a miscommunication.   Ships and sail date, copy of email from the cruise line, etc.

The portion of the email shown says Option 1 is 100% refund and rebook from a list of cruises.  It does not say (in the portion shown) that the rebooking would be free.  It could also be price protected based on the original booking (so effectively an even exchange) or at a discount but we don't have those details or any other options available.

Overbooking is definitely unusual in the cruising industry.  If I were a betting man, I would say those that booked GTY rates are the most at risk of losing their vacation if there aren't enough people willing to move.

20 minutes ago, Atlantix2000 said:

The portion of the email shown says Option 1 is 100% refund and rebook from a list of cruises.  It does not say (in the portion shown) that the rebooking would be free.  It could also be price protected based on the original booking (so effectively an even exchange) or at a discount but we don't have those details or any other options available.

Sorry for the ambiguity, I just did a screenshot. Option 1 is refund plus a complimentary cruise (so just pay taxes and gratuities).

Kinda surprised to see this happen on a sailing out of Haifa.  There are many sailings from Haifa listed in the Going, Going, Gone sale and Haifa is one of the few GGG ports that actually still have suites available.  It would appear that the Haifa sales have not been particularly strong…if being placed in GGG means soft sales.

1 hour ago, PhillyLady said:

This summer I was kicked off an upcoming Princess cruise in Greece due to the fact they decided to allow a group to do a full ship charter.  Yes, I was also notified by email.

We received NOTHING.  Thank goodness I had not yet finalized my air.  Enjoy the opportunity to have a two-for-one experience!

Oh, that really sucks! 

12 hours ago, PhillyLady said:

This summer I was kicked off an upcoming Princess cruise in Greece due to the fact they decided to allow a group to do a full ship charter.  Yes, I was also notified by email.

We received NOTHING.  Thank goodness I had not yet finalized my air.  Enjoy the opportunity to have a two-for-one experience!

Princess has dropped the ball recently regarding cancelled cruises and compensations...

We just received the email from Sky Mile Cruises advising us of the over booking on our September 9 cruise from Haifa 
We have a non refundable air fare also. Not sure what the options are .  Called Sky Mile Cruise. The agent had no information and we got cut off . They did not call me back. Would like to talk to someone 

11 hours ago, BillBacon said:

We just received the email from Sky Mile Cruises advising us of the over booking. We have a non refundable air fare also. Not sure what the options are .  Called Sky Mile Cruise. The agent had no information and we got cut off . They did not call me back. Would like to talk to someone 

If you are booked through Skymile cruises you need to discuss your cruise with them.  This is a fan site for Royal Caribbean International.  No one here is a Royal employee or an agent for Skymile cruises.  

4 hours ago, CruiseGus said:

Good offer if and a big if you can change your airfare cheaply.

@RafaellaCGplease let us know what you decide and then how it all turns out in the end.

I offered to move to the 1.9 sailing (I'm a couple hours by train from the port so no flights). They said they'd let us know by Monday, which is cutting it a bit close.

Those kinds of things never seem to happen to people that would like it.  On my flights to the ship, they are always offering big money to delay.  On the flights home when I don't care they never offer it.  I would love to delay my cruise for a free cruise, I would be on that in a heartbeat.  I must be living life wrong, the only thing I get lately is my flights changed to give me a 8-hour layover in Heathrow.