Sea Pass Help

Pay

I think I read somewhere that when you check-in on the app, you have to add a card on file for onboard spending/charges. Is this true? If so, will RC charge a “hold” fee to your card even if you don’t purchase anything onboard? Also, I heard that you can add cash instead of a card. Is this true? If so, how would I opt-out of adding my card during check-in and just add cash instead? Thank you! (First time cruiser!)

Welcome new cruiser! I'm pretty sure they need a credit card and that they may put some type of nominal hold on it less @$100-$200. if you start using your Seapass Daily, you can pay at customer service and it will keep the holds down to a minimum. I have never had a problem with the holds and timeliness of releases. This is a great group. Muck around the site and ask any question. Some smarta**  always knows an answer.

P.S. If you happen to need cash while cruising. You can transfer money on a slot machine to your room and cash it out immediately - no fees. You also have some freeplay money waiting for you if you log on to a slot machine on one of the first two days of every cruise.

There is no way to get around not adding a credit card for online check in. You MIGHT get them to accept a wad of cash once you get on the ship, but not before. Highly doubtful that they would be able to do that because then how would they collect payment from you with no card on file? There is no hold placed on the card from what I can remember, but It’s possible one was there for some small amount and I never noticed.

EDIT: As was mentioned in other posts, DO NOT use a debit card!! 

49 minutes ago, Pay said:

I think I read somewhere that when you check-in on the app, you have to add a card on file for onboard spending/charges. Is this true? If so, will RC charge a “hold” fee to your card even if you don’t purchase anything onboard? Also, I heard that you can add cash instead of a card. Is this true? If so, how would I opt-out of adding my card during check-in and just add cash instead? Thank you! (First time cruiser!)

The specific "hold" on our June cruise was $99.75.  It went to pending, but wasn't processed until the end of the cruise.  Then we were billed for our closing stateroom balance.

If you have credit card alerts set up, you could receive an "alert" when the hold is placed on your card (it depends upon the $ of your alert setting).

On our cruise in early May on Grandeur out of Galveston we had a hold for ~$100 placed on our credit card. When the bill was settled at the end of the cruise it disappeared. We checked with guest services and they said it was done to ensure that the card was valid. Overall it caused us no problems in any way. 

You need to add a card to file when checking in, but you can put cash down at guest services as soon as you board. If the spending goes over, you will just have to pay down the balance, usually the night before. If you owe anything they will ding you when you go through customs.