Help! I'm overplanning!

FManke

I need help. I know I'm an over planner, but I can't seem to help it. I once told my wife and kids on a Disney trip that there was "no time for pictures." It has become a source of humor since then. Does anybody else have this problem? Any suggestions? I want everything to be perfect, since this is a surprise anniversary cruise for my wife.

Aim for excellence instead of perfection. Punch out a reasonable list of things you would like to do and discuss it. Trying to do everything and schedule every moment will just result in stress...and what I have experienced to be the "non-vacation".

The vast majority of first time cruisers are repeat cruisers. That's why RCL has built a fourth Oasis class ship. Something you didn't get to...next time!

Have a look at the thread 'Things We Have Learned To Do On A Cruise'. There are some experienced wise words in there with respect to relaxing and not trying to do too much.

Have an awesome trip!

In 1971, Dave Scott, Commander of Apollo 15, fought for and won approval for a "stand up EVA" where right after landing on the moon he would open up the top hatch and take a look around.  His argument was that you need a good view of the "big picture" so that the details will make sense later.

Take time to just enjoy being there.  As I mentioned in the thread Gears mentioned, be sure to enjoy the sea from the ship, not just the ship on the sea.  The memory of that big picture will likely last longer than a lot of the little details...

My first few cruises with my kids I would re-learn this lesson: you have to slow down and let some aspects of the cruise go on its own time.  Meaning, while I might want to do 4 other things, with family cruising, sometimes you just have to slow it all down and let things materialize on their own.  

There is absolutely room for planning ahead, and I firmly believe research ahead of a cruise only serves to save you time and money.  But it's also important to let vacation happen too.

fmanke,

Like you I am a planner, everything has to be organized. When I start to look for a cruise I will make lists of the cruise lines, sailings, prices, etc., and narrow it down to my perfect cruise. But as all others have said, the old quote "You have to take time to smell the roses". You paid a lot of money for this vacation and you need to slow down your pace and relax into the vacation.

To me, a lot of planning should go into a cruise after it is booked, shore excursions, ports, etc. It is a good thing to research everything so that you will do what is good for you and your family. As Matt stated he might want to do four other things but when family is involved you have to decide what is best for all of you.

Just relax, enjoy and remember to breathe.

Although I am not a seasoned cruiser like some of these folks, I did raise 3 kids with years worth of vacations under my belt and yes, it is good to be organized and prepared but, when vacation starts, you must allow yourself to be on vacation! Vacation is supposed to be an escape from reality where you can laze away and whimsically float through it! That is what hooked me after the first cruise. Cruising is the ultimate escape from reality. Let it happen and enjoy every second!

There's nothing wrong with planning.  Too little planning will cause you to waste time deciding what to do and the list is VERY long, especially on the big ships.  Overplanning also has its drawbacks.  As others have said, you have to have time to just reflect on the sheer majesty of the ship and the ocean.

Organize but don't rush.

There are people that have Excel spreadsheets of what they'll do while on their cruise.

I am not one of those people.

I've seen people need a vacation AFTER their vacation because they jam-packed their vacation stem to stern with activities (Excel Spreadsheet Dude/Chick). Or worse, one little thing goes wrong and now they are gunched up and angry and making everyone around them just as miserable. 

Like I say about photography, if it turns into a job I'll sell everything and stop doing it. Plan, yes. Obsess, no. Don't let this turn into a job. You're suppose to be on vacation FROM your job! Act accordingly.