Greek Isles - recommendations

TheRobinsons

50 minutes ago, TheRobinsons said:

Any recommendations for the following locations?

1. KOTOR, MONTENEGRO 
  2. CORFU, GREECE 
  3. ATHENS (PIRAEUS), GREECE 
  4. MYKONOS, GREECE 
  5. ARGOSTOLI, GREECE

We have never been to any of these places, should we self explore, shore excursion, stay on the boat etc?

At Athens, I think it is worth seeing the Acropolis, but it tends to be crowded in peak season.  You'll want a guide that doesn't talk "too much", just enough!

I just visited Kotor and Mykonos on a cruise and I self-explored! They are both super walkable and nice to walk around and I didn't see the need for an excursion. Most people seemed to self-explore. I would probably do an excursion to the Acropolis and Plaka neighborhoods in Athens, though, because the city is huge.

I wrote blog posts of my days in both Kotor and Mykonos here if you want to know more ideas of what to do:

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2022/06/29/rhapsody-of-the-seas-live-blog-day-2-mykonos-greece

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2022/07/03/rhapsody-of-the-seas-live-blog-day-6-kotor-montenegro

2 hours ago, TheRobinsons said:

Any recommendations for the following locations?

1. KOTOR, MONTENEGRO 
  2. CORFU, GREECE 
  3. ATHENS (PIRAEUS), GREECE 
  4. MYKONOS, GREECE 
  5. ARGOSTOLI, GREECE

We have never been to any of these places, should we self explore, shore excursion, stay on the boat etc?

Been to all but one, but I found every step we took, could be a picture.   Beautiful and historical.

In Kotor I took an RC excursion, Baroque Charm and the Bay of Kotor. We got some beautiful photos but it was a bit boring otherwise. I think we would just walk around Kotor on our own if we went again.

In Corfu I took a private excursion to two very different beaches plus a boat ride. Loved it.  Tour company was great.  https://www.bluetours.gr/tours-and-activities/private-shore-excursion-corfu-beaches-paleokastritsa-glyfada

In Athens I did another private tour to the Acropolis and the museum but can’t remember the tour provider. Given the length of the day it was nice to get to know the guide and driver which we wouldn’t have had the opportunity to do had it been a group tour.

Mykonos I did an RC excursion to Delos. I was a bit bored on this one (a trend with RC large group tours).  Also couldn’t really hear the tour guide. The headsets didn’t work well, which I think is a common complaint. The good thing was we still had enough time afterwards to walk around Mykonos a bit and have a meal there. So I don’t regret Delos as a one time thing but also think you would be happy enough just walking around the port area on your own. 

ETA:

I found my booking for the Athens tour.  PK Travel - half day Athens tour with licensed tour guide.  EUR 310 with pick up and drop off at the port.  The car was a nice Mercedes and the tour guide and driver were great. They were a very professional team and I highly recommend.  I thought the price was great for the value considering we were 3 people, probably would have spent more on a group excursion that would have been less personalized.

I didn't realize Argostoli was Kefolonia.  We stopped there and did a private custom itinerary because I really wanted to see Assos, which is quite a drive, as well as Melissini Lake and Myrtos beach.  We booked through Kokolis Holidays for EUR 250 and they accommodated my requested stops.  We did not have a tour guide, just a driver.  He gave us good suggestions for where to eat and suggested places we could pull over on the drive for nice photos.  The taxi was a bit older but otherwise good.  We did the boat ride at the Lake, had a quick lunch in Assos, and spent about an hour swimming at Myrtos beach.  I loved all 3 places, but if I did it again I would have just driven to the Myrtos viewpoint from the above rather than spending time at the beach.  It made Assos rushed.  Assos has a cute small beach and is a lovely little village, but only worth the long drive if you can spend several hours there.  Myrtos beach is great for the unbeatable views but we preferred our beach time in Corfu at a beach club/day resort type of place where there were nice facilities and food/drink delivered to our loungers.  Myrtos is more a a do it yourself type of place, though they did have lounge chairs and umbrellas to rent and I think there was a small food stand.  

On 8/9/2022 at 6:59 PM, berkeleykel said:

In Kotor I took an RC excursion, Baroque Charm and the Bay of Kotor. We got some beautiful photos but it was a bit boring otherwise. I think we would just walk around Kotor on our own if we went again.

In Corfu I took a private excursion to two very different beaches plus a boat ride. Loved it.  Tour company was great.  https://www.bluetours.gr/tours-and-activities/private-shore-excursion-corfu-beaches-paleokastritsa-glyfada

In Athens I did another private tour to the Acropolis and the museum but can’t remember the tour provider. Given the length of the day it was nice to get to know the guide and driver which we wouldn’t have had the opportunity to do had it been a group tour.

Mykonos I did an RC excursion to Delos. I was a bit bored on this one (a trend with RC large group tours).  Also couldn’t really hear the tour guide. The headsets didn’t work well, which I think is a common complaint. The good thing was we still had enough time afterwards to walk around Mykonos a bit and have a meal there. So I don’t regret Delos as a one time thing but also think you would be happy enough just walking around the port area on your own. 

We also did delos but had a great tour guide.   YMMV on these tours but we loved going to Delos.  In Athens we did the Acropolis.. Have to do once but it was insanely crowded.  We didn't go to the museum, but instead grabbed lunch at an amazing restaurant on the street.  Jane

On 8/16/2022 at 6:04 PM, mom2mybugs said:

We also did delos but had a great tour guide.   YMMV on these tours but we loved going to Delos.  In Athens we did the Acropolis.. Have to do once but it was insanely crowded.  We didn't go to the museum, but instead grabbed lunch at an amazing restaurant on the street.  Jane

Did you do a RC excursion or a private one?

Hello,

I’m surprising my hubby with this exact itinerary next July. Greece is his #1 bucket list location. I, on the other hand, don’t know too much, so I’m hoping you can help with some recommendations.

Of the 4 Greek locations, I’d like to do 1 history, 1 food tour, 1 self-explore and maybe 1 beach.  (If it works out like that, but happy to adjust/combine.)

I’m assuming that Athens would be the history. And Mykonos the self explore?

Where are the best food and beach locations?

(I will be giving him the final say, but want to present some ideas/excursions to him as part of the reveal.)

Thank you so much! I’m ready to burst about this but have to hold my mouth until Christmas… eeeeek!

~Lindy