Gratuity Charge

Watson

As I understand it, the daily gratuity charge covers the housekeeping and dining staffs. 1) Does this apply to the staffs at all restaurants on the ship or only the dining room/buffet? 2) Who is not covered by this and should be tipped? 3) Is it really the case that if you pay the prepay gratuity that housekeeping, and dining do not expect to be tipped otherwise? I want to do the right thing, but if I am prepaying gratuity's I expect to get my money's worth for it.

The daily gratuity covers your housekeeping staff and your Main Dining Room Staff You can tip them additionally at the end of the cruise if you wish. "Exceptional Service" tip envelopes will be provided to you on the last evening of your cruise.

You'll notice that specialty restaurant and bar charges will have an 18% gratuity automatically added to the receipt with an option to tip additional if you feel the service warrants it.

If you purchased a drink package, a dining package, or a specialty restaurant reservation in the cruise planner before boarding, this 18% has already been charged when purchased.

56 minutes ago, Watson said:

As I understand it, the daily gratuity charge covers the housekeeping and dining staffs. 1) Does this apply to the staffs at all restaurants on the ship or only the dining room/buffet? 2) Who is not covered by this and should be tipped? 3) Is it really the case that if you pay the prepay gratuity that housekeeping, and dining do not expect to be tipped otherwise? I want to do the right thing, but if I am prepaying gratuity's I expect to get my money's worth for it.

I agree with SPS.

Although most folks think of the MDR staff as separate, they aren't always.  Our MDR assistant waiter for dinner worked for WJ earlier in the day.  So when you tip the MDR staff through the automatic gratuity, you are really tipping everyone you need to.  

If you truly like your MDR staff and Stateroom Attendant, they will enjoy a little extra at the end of the cruise in the provided envelopes (extra envelopes available at Guest Services).

Frequent cruisers who use the Diamond and above drink coupons typically tip extra cash at service because the bartenders aren't automatically tipped.  (When you purchase a drink, a tip will be added.)  

For a first time Royal cruiser, I would wait and see how you enjoy the service and consider the envelopes at the end of the cruise, if appropriate. 

You'll also want to plan on tipping porters, excursion guides, drivers, etc.  You decide what is appropriate.  Some cruisers have fun getting a stack of $1 bills at the bank before cruising, sort of a pre-cruise ritual.

I am not going to say too much because I do not know too much.  I was watching a video by a person working on a cruise ship.  She was talking about tips.  The staff is separated into jobs that get part of the tips.  Then all the money collected for gratuities paid (the daily gratuity, gratuity on drink packages, water packages, purchased drinks...) are tossed into a pool.  Then their share is added to their paycheck.  She said there is no documentation of how much was collected or how it is split up.  They are just happy to see it on their paycheck.

That is what I heard and how I remember it.  

• 2 weeks later...

This tip discussion surfaces often.  And as often, folks don't really know where the pre-paid tips go.  Even the crew does not always know.

So, for the record, in addition to any pre-paid gratuities, I still tip individually  to show the crew, servers, room attendants, bar people, etc., that they're doing a good job and I appreciate it.