Reservations for upcoming Ovation of the Seas Alaska Cruise

3 Questions

1. I know that we have to wait until we board the ship to make reservations for the shows and activities using the app.  People who have been on Ovation this summer, can you let me know if you can make reservations for Live, Love Legs and The Beautiful Dream?  The app says that reservations are not required, but does that mean that you can't make a reservation?  We would like to see these shows, but don't want to waste precious time when we first get onto the ship trying to make reservations that don't exist.

Also, Pixels is not listed on my app at all.  I see it did run multiple times in previous cruise compasses from this summer.  Did other Ovation cruisers this summer have a similar experience where it showed up on the app when you embarked?

3.  We have a 3 night specialty dining package(this is the first time we have purchased this).  We have a 10:30 check in time slot.  We have heard that it is difficult to get reservations for specialty dining.  Do you think that if we go right to a specialty dining restaurant when we board the ship that we will have good luck accessing specialty dining reservations?  We have a reservation for Chops on Day 2.  We are interested in dining at Jamie's and Wonderland on our other 2 nights.

Thanks for your help!

No, the theater shows don't have reservations.  The beautiful dream was an excellent show so definitely make sure to go see it.

Yes, Pixels showed up once on the ship and required a reservation.  I don't recall if all the 270 shows required a reservation too, but Pixels definitely did.  We also had a 270 showcase, but I think it was a holdover from the presidents cruise so not sure if it's still being shown.

I didn't do any specialty dining so I can't comment on that aspect.

1. Royal Theater shows are no reservations for the general cruising public.  Our ship was near full capacity and we did not have any trouble getting good seats.  We usually arrived at the show about 30 minutes prior, but 45 minutes might be better.

2. Pixels will show up once on board.  

3. Once on board, you should have very little problems getting your preferred reservations for specialty dining unless you wait too long to book.  I don't have an answer as to when "too long" is, but I know we got ALL of our preferred dining reservation times.  I also know that every restaurant we went to had a stand by list that was at least one page long.  So don't wait.  Again, if you are on board early, you shouldn't have any problems.  I imagine that Jamie's will open the outside seating, if not already open.  When we sailed, the weather was too bad for them to open up the additional outside seating.

9 minutes ago, billdauterive said:

No, the theater shows don't have reservations.  The beautiful dream was an excellent show so definitely make sure to go see it.

Yes, Pixels showed up once on the ship and required a reservation.  I don't recall if all the 270 shows required a reservation too, but Pixels definitely did.  We also had a 270 showcase, but I think it was a holdover from the presidents cruise so not sure if it's still being shown.

I didn't do any specialty dining so I can't comment on that aspect.

Yep. Pixels required reservations. And you need to show up early for a good seat.

2 hours ago, CruisingNewb said:

@foxrunnerIf you need more info on Ovation Alaska sailing, you can always search my posts from this year (June/July). Ovation is a GREAT ship.  Loved every minute.  Have very few complaints about our experience. I also detail food and activity stuff quite a bit.  You will have a great time!

Mine is on May 11, 2023.   8 night Alaska Glacier Cruise leaving from Vancouver.  What excursion did you join?  Anything that's must do or must see?

Thanks

16 minutes ago, KevinK said:

Mine is on May 11, 2023.   8 night Alaska Glacier Cruise leaving from Vancouver.  What excursion did you join?  Anything that's must do or must see?

Thanks

You have lots of time to research and read posts from this (2022) summer.  

Having said that, whatever excursions you choose, have a back-up plan.  Weather and other unforeseen issues may cause cancellations.  Our float plane AND helicopter tours were cancelled due to weather.  We had to react quickly and opted for land based/walking excursions.

Specifically, the Mendenhall Glacier Bus tour thing is cheap and absolutely fantastic.  The Juneau cable car and hiking would have been great had it not been for the dense fog.

Skagway has some really cool hiking trails that take you to quiet coves and such.  Highly recommend that.  I hear from others that the train (WhitePass) was awesome.   

32 minutes ago, CruisingNewb said:

You have lots of time to research and read posts from this (2022) summer.  

Having said that, whatever excursions you choose, have a back-up plan.  Weather and other unforeseen issues may cause cancellations.  Our float plane AND helicopter tours were cancelled due to weather.  We had to react quickly and opted for land based/walking excursions.

Specifically, the Mendenhall Glacier Bus tour thing is cheap and absolutely fantastic.  The Juneau cable car and hiking would have been great had it not been for the dense fog.

Skagway has some really cool hiking trails that take you to quiet coves and such.  Highly recommend that.  I hear from others that the train (WhitePass) was awesome.   

All these excursions, you booked thru Royal Caribbean or you  booked thru 3rd party?

Thanks 

4 hours ago, CruisingNewb said:

@foxrunnerIf you need more info on Ovation Alaska sailing, you can always search my posts from this year (June/July). Ovation is a GREAT ship.  Loved every minute.  Have very few complaints about our experience. I also detail food and activity stuff quite a bit.  You will have a great time!

@CruisingNewb Where should I look on this site to find your posts on your Ovation Alaska sailing from June/July.   You have been a ton of help.  We really appreciate it!

2 hours ago, foxrunner said:

@CruisingNewb Where should I look on this site to find your posts on your Ovation Alaska sailing from June/July.   You have been a ton of help.  We really appreciate it!

I agree with you, he suggested Mendenhall Glacier Bus tour,  Juneau cable car and hiking & WhitePass to me before.  I looked into it, Mendenhall Glacier & Whitepass Which I know I will booed.  just not sure book from where tho..  Still looking for info on the cables car thing..  

Here's his Ovation trip review:

Here's another one for what to pack:

14 hours ago, KevinK said:

I agree with you, he suggested Mendenhall Glacier Bus tour,  Juneau cable car and hiking & WhitePass to me before.  I looked into it, Mendenhall Glacier & Whitepass Which I know I will booed.  just not sure book from where tho..  Still looking for info on the cables car thing..  

Here's his Ovation trip review:

Here's another one for what to pack:

Book the cable car ride as soon as you get off of the ship directly with the State vendor.  It is in a stand alone building on the same side of the street as Tracy's Crab Shack and you can see it from the ship as you debark.

11 minutes ago, CruisingNewb said:

Book the cable car ride as soon as you get off of the ship directly with the State vendor.  It is in a stand alone building on the same side of the street as Tracy's Crab Shack and you can see it from the ship as you debark.

Did you book your Mendenhall Glacier Bus tour thur https://www.juneautours.com/shuttle-mendenhall-glacier/ ?  I am thinking booking the Juneau City & Mendenhall Glacier Combo or just the Mendenhall Glacier Shuttle?

11 minutes ago, KevinK said:

Did you book your Mendenhall Glacier Bus tour thur https://www.juneautours.com/shuttle-mendenhall-glacier/ ?  I am thinking booking the Juneau City & Mendenhall Glacier Combo or just the Mendenhall Glacier Shuttle?

Yes. But--we only booked the Glacier bus tour and the bus driver pretty much summed up the city tour part for us traveling to and from the glacier.  Honestly, between that tour, the cable car ride, and walking, we only spent 4 hours total and felt that it was enough considering the weather.  The total price for the two was $850 less than our float plane tour which was only supposed to be an hour.  In retrospect, my wife and I are glad that the float plane tour was cancelled.  We had crab at Tracy's Crab Shack instead and ended up spending a total of $650 instead of the $1250 for the 1 hour plane thing.  

21 hours ago, KevinK said:

Thanks

Personally, I thought Mendenhall glacier in Juneau and the White Pass Railroad in Skagway were amazing and should be must dos for everyone at some point.  Both are reasonably priced as well unlike some of the float plane/helicopter excursions.

9 minutes ago, billdauterive said:

Personally, I thought Mendenhall glacier in Juneau and the White Pass Railroad in Skagway were amazing and should be must dos for everyone at some point.  Both are reasonably priced as well unlike some of the float plane/helicopter excursions.

Thanks,

I already have those on my must visit list.  Plus Tracy's King Crab Shack.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/10/2022 at 11:50 AM, KevinK said:

Thanks,

I already have those on my must visit list.  Plus Tracy's King Crab Shack.

Hi. IMHO, Tracy’s is too much. We stood in the rain to get in and honestly didn’t find it worth the cost. PS. We thought the king crab legs were about the same as we get frozen here in TX.  The crab cakes are better in Chops in our experience. They had a crab bisque we didn’t try but I’d honestly say spend your money on seafood in Skagaway. Skagaway fish (fresh halibut) and chips were fantastic. Better than we get in England (still a bit oily). But the seafood chowder (fresh halibut and salmon) is absolutely amazing. Skagaway Brewing is a bit expensive but it is good. To put it in perspective though, our entire meal there was cheaper than a lb of crab legs from Tracys. 

2 hours ago, Sea Squirrel said:

Hi. IMHO, Tracy’s is too much. We stood in the rain to get in and honestly didn’t find it worth the cost. PS. We thought the king crab legs were about the same as we get frozen here in TX.  The crab cakes are better in Chops in our experience. They had a crab bisque we didn’t try but I’d honestly say spend your money on seafood in Skagaway. Skagaway fish (fresh halibut) and chips were fantastic. Better than we get in England (still a bit oily). But the seafood chowder (fresh halibut and salmon) is absolutely amazing. Skagaway Brewing is a bit expensive but it is good. To put it in perspective though, our entire meal there was cheaper than a lb of crab legs from Tracys. 

Thanks,

I will check out the Skagaway fish.  What else would you suggest to visit?