Norwegian Cruises to Allow UNLIMITED Unvaccinated Passengers Starting in September

38 minutes ago, AspiringCruisePlanner said:

Source?  I don't see anywhere in the article or on the NCL website stating there's a limit.

There’s not a limit ……. The person who’s saying that apparently thinks it’s still the 10% unvaccinated deal, which it’s not …….. it’s definitely unlimited starting September 3.

43 minutes ago, AspiringCruisePlanner said:

Source?  I don't see anywhere in the article or on the NCL website stating there's a limit.

Article doesn't say unlimited, just that unvaxx pax are allowed. But if ports still have vax requirements, they will have to adhere......which negates the use of unlimited because it means truly without limits. 

45 minutes ago, AspiringCruisePlanner said:

14 minutes ago, ChrisK2793 said:

There’s not a limit ……. The person who’s saying that apparently thinks it’s still the 10% unvaccinated deal, which it’s not …….. it’s definitely unlimited starting September 3.

It is limited in respect to certain destinations. 

13 minutes ago, ChrisK2793 said:

Don't assume to know what I am thinking. I mentioned no thresholds, but I did mention that some ports still have mandates and that is a limit

12 minutes ago, Ampurp85 said:

Don't assume to know what I am thinking. I mentioned no thresholds, but I did mention that some ports still have mandates and that is a limit

They obviously have a deal with NCL starting September 3 or NCL would say on their website that there will still be a limit to certain sailings and they do NOT.

15 minutes ago, Ampurp85 said:

The title of the post can be misleading, but the bottom line is that there will be no limit on the number of unvaccinated passengers for itineraries that allow unvaccinated passengers to sail.

12 minutes ago, ChrisK2793 said:

They obviously have a deal with NCL starting September 3 or NCL would say on their website that there will still be a limit to certain sailings and they do NOT.

This is in the article:

While the cruise lines will drop its rules for most sailings, different protocols may apply depending on the country a cruise is traveling to. In the Bahamas, for example, all unvaccinated travelers over 2 years old will still be required to show proof of a negative test or proof they contracted COVID-19 and recovered. And all travelers 12 and older on a cruise to Canada will have to be vaccinated and get tested, according to Norwegian.

You keep focusing on the word limit, which is why I said "unlimited" should not be in the title. People will focus on that and then get upset when there are limitations, as there will be. Unlimited truly means without limits and whether those limits involve ports, percentages, testing etc... it's a limit.

What's interesting is that the Cayman Islands and Antigua cruises allow unvaccinated adults to sail, but only with a certificate of recovery.  No option of presenting a negative test.  I guess the unvaccinated that want to cruise to those ports are going to be clamoring for a healthy dose of coronavirus prior to their cruise 🤣

42 minutes ago, Ampurp85 said:

This is in the article:

While the cruise lines will drop its rules for most sailings, different protocols may apply depending on the country a cruise is traveling to. In the Bahamas, for example, all unvaccinated travelers over 2 years old will still be required to show proof of a negative test or proof they contracted COVID-19 and recovered. And all travelers 12 and older on a cruise to Canada will have to be vaccinated and get tested, according to Norwegian.

You keep focusing on the word limit, which is why I said "unlimited" should not be in the title. People will focus on that and then get upset when there are limitations, as there will be. Unlimited truly means without limits and whether those limits involve ports, percentages, testing etc... it's a limit.

I'm going to guess you see the Bahamas changing its rules soon. 

As all the lines (probably) eventually move towards this method, It'll be interesting to see what happens if someone with COVID needs specialized care and the ship has to return to port or skip a port.  For us, that has been a big reason we have supported having the vaccination requirement.  In our minds, it lessens the chance of our vacation being interrupted.  Not that it's foolproof now, but gives us that warm fuzzy feeling.

5 hours ago, ChrisK2793 said:

It’s clearly displayed on their web site that all protocols are dependent on destination and local regulations take precedent. 

7 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

There won't be  a hard limit, but there will be a natural limit since so many cruisers will be vaccinated anyway

You are absolutely correct NCL will not have a hard limit on the number of unvaccinated guest they will allow onboard.  However it isn't a free for all just yet and NCL is really putting the responsibility for knowing the rules on passengers. 

On NCL's website they have a hyperlink that unvaccinated customers should look at before they book a cruise because some destinations still will not allow unvaccinated guest.  Destinations like Bermuda and others unvaccinated guest are not allowed to sail at all.  Other destinations unvaccinated guest will not be allowed to disembark the ship while in port.  While other destinations will allow unvaccinated guest to disembark the ship as long as they have presented a negative Covid test taken no more than 72 hours before embarkations, other require unvaccinated guest to not only present a negative Covid test but also a certificate of recovery.  While ports of call like Puerto Rico require all unvaccinated guest to present a negative Covid test taken 48 hours prior to disembarking the ship in San Juan (NCL will administer the test to guest onboard but will NOT cover the cost of the test). 

In their press release NCL makes it clear it is the responsibility of each individual guest to make sure they can comply will all entry restrictions.  What NCL does not address in their press release is if an unvaccinated customer books a cruise they are not allowed to set sail on will NCL issue that customer a full refund.  Also imagine the chaos as unvaccinated individuals try to disembark the ship not realizing they are at an island where they are not allowed to disembark.   I applaud NCL for removing the vaccine mandate but between now and September 3rd they need to find a better way to help passengers navigate this process because entry restrictions for unvaccinated guest vary from island to island.  And to put that responsibility entirely on the guest to figure out I think will result in a lot of frustrated passengers.

Also one last thing if you are unvaccinated and test positive for Covid onboard NCL will cover all onboard medical expenses for services rendered at their medical facility.  However if the medical team decides to disembark you they will assist you with making land reservation including quarantine (some islands still require unvaccinated individuals to quarantine at a government facility) but NCL will NOT COVER any cost related to any land charges that unvaccinated guest may incur, including medical cost, quarantine cost, hotel cost, air fare, food and any other cost that may arise.  If an unvaccinated guest is disembarked from the ship just like Virgin Voyages they are on their own. 

It looks like for both NCL and Virgin if a guest is vaccinated they are allowed to remain onboard and quarantine in their stateroom or in a stateroom near the medical facility.  However unvaccinated guest it is entirely up to the medical staff whether or not they will be allowed to remain onboard or be medically disembarked.  

all NCL have done is lift their restrictions on unvaxed cruising so they are now in line with other cruiselines who have allowed this since the restart. 

Admittedly there is no mention of % of unvaxed guests allowed however this may be determined by the rules issued by ports of call. 

Its a step in the right direction, problem is for some of those who for whatever reason decided not to get vaccinated the step isnt big enough or quick enough.