solo

Bonnen

I like and hate this question at the same time.  Right off the bat it makes me happy and sad at the same time.  That is sailing solo in a single thought.

Pros:

• You answer to no one.  
  • you get up and go to bed when you want
  • You eat what and when you want.  You can get through the entire dinner in 40 minutes because you are not waiting on others.
  • You get to go to the shows you like.  If you do not like the show you leave.
  • You can change your plans at a moment's notice without any discussion and compromising. 
  • You do not have to worry about how the other person feels.
  • Speiclaty dining and excursions are cheaper because it is for one person.
  • You can be alone when you want.

Cons:

• The formal nights are a hard night because you are alone.  The ship is full of couples and families taking specialty pictures and having group dinners and you are alone.
  • When you go on excursions you are the person on the bus or boat setting alone.  It shows and feels worse there because seats are in groups of 2.
  • You pay double occupancy on cruises and hotels.  You pay the same for taxi or uber as a couple.
  • You have to be careful with people.  Women or men think you are hitting on them some of the time because you are looking for someone to talk to.  Women or men will be looking to sleep with you because you are solo.
  • It is hard if you do not like being alone.

1 hour ago, Bonnen said:

the pros and cons of sailing solo?

Let me chime in on this.

I had the biggest social anxiety fears when I went solo back in January.  I was asking everyone on here for advice, and they were quite helpful.

As a side note, I also went solo in March.

But, to get to your question.  I had the best cruises of my life going solo.  I answered to NO ONE.  If I wanted to do something, I did it when I wanted to.  I've always been coupled up on a cruise and beholden to the other persons whims.  Let's go do this instead of what I wanted to, etc.

I climbed the rock wall, that was a new adventure for me, and I LOVED IT!!  I went to the ice skating show on my own, AND LOVED IT!!!  I saw Grease in the theater and, ohhh... I LOVED IT!!!  I went to every specialty restaurant on the ship on my own.  I LOVED IT!!  I think the only one I didn't enjoy was Izumi, that's because they sat me in the back corner by the kitchen and it was noisy, and HOT as a mug!

I did excursions on my own.  I was a CocoCay on my own, and I enjoy water slides, and I did all those with me, myself, and I.  I LOVED IT!!!!  There was an excursion on speed boats in Cozumel.  I got to drive the boat, with no one else in there.  JUST ME!!!  It was by far the best excursion I have been on.

If I had known how much fun I have doing things with just me, I would have done this a long time ago.

Like I said, I have a fair bought of social anxiety.  Solo cruising kicked that to the curb.  It makes you meet and chat with people.  Anyone and everyone.

I would also recommend joining the Facebook related to your ship and cruising date.  This is a MUST do.  I met several people that way 😛 

You'll have a blast, just have the expectation that you WILL be comfortable with yourself, and that you are an amazing person and kick ass!!  You'll have a blast!!!!

As a side note.  I forgot to put this in here... Get a balcony room.  I loved hanging out on the balcony.

Edited by WackyCactus
Add more to the message

Cons: Most fares are based on double occupancy so you have to pay the cruise fare for two people. People love to share their opinions and ask questions when they find out you are sailing alone 🙄

Pros: You are on your own timeline and don't have to entertain anyone but yourself. You can get through meals super quickly and be on your way. It's usually easy to find a single seat everywhere.

2 hours ago, ellcee said:

I'm not sure whether or not to be relieved or offended that this hasn't happened to me yet on a cruise....

Ugh it happens to me a lot. I am a little slow on the take, so I have made it to cabins, thinking I am just checking them out only to be solicited. Who Knows Idk GIF

35 minutes ago, Ampurp85 said:

Ugh it happens to me a lot. I am a little slow on the take, so I have made it to cabins, thinking I am just checking them out only to be solicited. Who Knows Idk GIF

Yikes! I haven’t had that experience yet. For some reason I tend to discover cruise friends who aren’t interested in my gender 

@SwarI’m also on Serenade October 15 solo. Sailing Brilliance Dec 1 too with a group for my 50th. We are doing the Cozumel Bar Hop

@WackyCactus I always find myself to be more sociable when I have an interior. If my cabin is too nice I tend to stay in the room more and socially isolate on the balcony with a good book

1 hour ago, Summer Bee Sweet said:

@SwarI’m also on Serenade October 15 solo. Sailing Brilliance Dec 1 too with a group for my 50th. We are doing the Cozumel Bar Hop

@WackyCactus I always find myself to be more sociable when I have an interior. If my cabin is too nice I tend to stay in the room more and socially isolate on the balcony with a good book

Should be fun cruises. Will be my first time on Serenade. Not sure if I'm solo or not. W knows about the 1 December Brilliance, but not sure she is tracking the Serenade. lol I do give her access to the cruise spreadsheet.

I do mainly Club Royale cruises, so I always try to add on friends and family, but people actually work and stuff. ugh